Has anyone built a beat lab/studio?

djdiggla

I'm in the planning stages of making a little detached studio. I can do it without much permitting as long as it's less than 200 sqft (12' x 16'), no taller that 15', no bathroom/kitchen etc. and pier and beam (not slab) foundation. Wondering if anyone else has done something like this or put any thought into it because I don't know where to even start. Should it have windows? If so regular ones or maybe thin windows by the door and up high so there is more wall space. Should I have a garage door so I can open it in nice weather? Down side would be less insulated/soundproofed and less wall space. Slanted or A frame roof... etc etc. Any ideas yall?

Guest Symatic

Does that mean you cant build a concrete foundation?

Im thinkin about isolation and if the floor leaks sound through it it probably doesnt matter how nice the walls and ceiling are, itll still get through and piss neighbours off and stuff.

Other than that youd want at least a chunky few layers or rockwall to isolate the walls.

• Like 1

Does that mean you cant build a concrete foundation?

Im thinkin about isolation and if the floor leaks sound through it it probably doesnt matter how nice the walls and ceiling are, itll still get through and piss neighbours off and stuff.

Other than that youd want at least a chunky few layers or rockwall to isolate the walls.

Yeah that's a good point... hmmm... Think I could put that rockwool stuff on the ground too? Or maybe go crazy like Moby's studio and have a layer of sand then carpet. Hmmm.... Maybe I just pull the permits and go slab. If I do that I might make it a little bigger or add a bathroom. IDK.

i've thought about doing one out of one of them shed kits you can get at home depot or lowes. still might run you about $1200 to $2000 though. you can use rail road ties as a foundation. well..... i would dig out your area, get some reclaimed gravel dumped (CA-7). set the rail road ties in the gravel. level it out. gravel inbetween any cracks and openings of the ties. now you can use maybe some 3/4" plywood as your floor. build the shed on top of that. you may have to get a permit for the electric, unless you got a guy thats quick . i would suggest, digging a trench and run underground conduit for the electric.

something like this shed here: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Handy-Home-Products-Majestic-8-ft-x-12-ft-Wood-Storage-Shed-18631-8/202205311

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I had a half conversion done on my garage to make an office / scratching den.

i looked up some helpful guides around soundproofing. I mainly scratch in headphones but my wife has superhuman hearing and the fader clicks drove her nuts.

It aint 100% (thats kind of hard unless you make it airtight and that's not a good idea when you could have potential visits from the SSS crew :(( )

There are plenty of tips on youtube and thew web. The main principal is to try and create a 'room within a room' to minimise vibration.

Great guide on soundproofing and acoustic treatment here https://ehomerecordingstudio.com/acoustic-treatment-101/

• Like 2

I mainly scratch in headphones but my wife has superhuman hearing and the fader clicks drove her nuts.

Tell me about it. That's what I have now. Even with headphones on she complains about the thumping of MPC pads!!!

This looks pretty cool..cost effective too!

That's a pretty good idea. You wouldn't want to use that stuff inside tho... lots of toxic off-gassing.

• 1 year later...

Looking good Dirk...dont let that unforgiving Texas sun warp your favourite Backstreet Boys, NSYNC and New Kids On The Block albums in there though!.. :)

Foreal. Gonna have some serious insulation and shell out for a good AC unit.

Heres an update.. going good. A few little detail things are not really like I expected... nothing major but for me it was hard to visualize the structure from the plans and would have made a few little tweaks. It's pretty huge. 390 sq ft. Will be good tho... will use both as a home office and mancave/studio. It'll fill up quick. It's taller than I expected too... in part because we did pier and beam instead of slab. Maybe that was dumb but too late now. I'm just going to be so happy to have a place where I can shut the door and not hear kids screaming... and turn up some music! Havent been able to do that in over a decade because of the kids.

uqtZ8Tg.jpg

z4W4X4y.jpg

• Like 4

Are you planning on writing off the building costs as a home office then?

Exactamundo! You actually write off depletion or something... takes some time over several years but anything helps.

my wife would never let me have something like this. she would never see me.

Hahaha! I was just thinking that and wondering if she'd really thought this through!

My buddy is the contractor. Thank god because I wouldn't be able to afford it otherwise. He's cutting me a really great deal. He's also a musician I used to play with and can't wait to jam in there!

• Like 3