Has anyone built a beat lab/studio?

djdiggla

nice one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if i ever end up owning a property - this would be something id DEF look at doing....

its pretty difficult in auckland as property prices are STUPID HIGH for what you get....youre looking at a million dollars for something half decent - thats about 500K in GBP for something that would be a third of the price in the UK.

New Zealand has to be one of the most expensive places in the world as far as im concerned......7 quid a pint in some places :S

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Progress has been slow as molasses but getting there... There are a lot of small things that aren't really how they were supposed to be but they are mostly small frustrations and in part me being overly nitpicky. 

LR90H5X.jpg

ZPEsD20.jpg

Svmm7Xy.jpg

^^Trench for electric and later laid high speed interent above in the same trench. 

• Like 1

ibz26i5.jpg

^^^It's wired to have outdoor speakers above those three windows that will plug into the turntables and also be able to stream wirelessly. Gonna put a fire pit in front. 

ojpQKPW.jpg

• Like 5

Bro, I woke up in a seriously salty mood, but after seeing this, things are looking bright. Your studio is lookin' f'n dope my friend and I'm sincerely happy for you. For real. Damn that's a nice studio and it's only gonna get better. Propers.

• Like 3

Looks awesome. We're 6 months through refurb and I still haven't got my old man cave back, hopefully by end of Feb.

Do you have to get approval or permission from anywhere to build it? You're pretty limited in England about how much you can build in your garden before you need formal planning permission - especially if it's used for business or has plumbing in it. Plus no-one has any fucking space so it's a bit of a moot point.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2021 at 12:56 PM, Deft said:

Looks awesome. We're 6 months through refurb and I still haven't got my old man cave back, hopefully by end of Feb.

Do you have to get approval or permission from anywhere to build it? You're pretty limited in England about how much you can build in your garden before you need formal planning permission - especially if it's used for business or has plumbing in it. Plus no-one has any fucking space so it's a bit of a moot point.

Yeah so if it's under 200 sqft you can call it a shed and there is no permitting. We originally were gonna do that but it woulda been pretty cramped. Basically room for me and maybe one other person. Then decided to do almost like a little apartment but it was way too expensive so axed the bathroom (over $20k because of hand digging past heritage trees*--more on that later) and shrunk it down to 400 sqft. Still expensive to do but my friend is the contractor so he's doing it for cost + 10%... otherwise IDK if I'd be able to afford to do it. 

Back to the permitting tho... We bought this house because we could afford it and the neighborhood doesn't have any deed restrictions... most newer neighborhoods have a bunch of restrictions that prohibit you from building and/or have much smaller lots. It was a little further from downtown (~8mi) than we wanted but a big lot (1/3 acre) for in the city limits... I knew if we didn't eventually move we'd build. So that leaves just city restriction... Austin is super hard to permit in... in particular they are real bitchy about "heritage" trees (which is a size metric even if it's a non-native tree) and also have a bunch of restrictions on % of ground covered. We had plenty room but the trees were a bitch. Have to fence them off (even in the front yard) and all kinds of dumb shit. They also noticed the garage had been converted to a room and so dinged me on that... having to pay to retroactively permit even tho it was done 30 years ago by the original owner (they might even open up the walls to check the wiring-groan). We could have rolled the dice and not permitted but you are running the risk of them making you tear the whole thing down and I would go postal if that happened. I have a real cunt of a neighbor that probably would have reported me. And it's a bitch if you ever sell--one of the neighbors had issues with unpermitted add-ons so pass on that too. Permitting is a real pain tho. Combined permit/inspections, backed up supply chain, and over booked construction workers has really dragged it out. My concern now is taxes. Property taxes are high in Texas and super high in Austin. I'm going to argue that the house value shouldn't go up because it's not a livable room (no bathroom or closet). But if we ever move I'll throw in a closet real quick so it counts as an extra bedroom. 

It's pretty exciting tho.. we spent the last two years looking at bigger houses... were either going to move or build. In the end we found nicer houses but they were all either too expensive, run down or far out so we decided to stay here and go forward with building. The converted garage used to be my mancave but it's become more of a play room and I can't ever turn up any music at night or everyone wakes up. So this will be huge for me. It's been 13+ years since I've been able to really enjoy myself and just be loud. Can't wait. And the garage room is going to be dope. We ran Heat/AC to it several years back when we replaced the unit. Gonna now be a game room and it's going to be dope. Kids (and big kids like me) will have a chill place inside and then we will have the office/music room outside. Can't wait. 

• Like 2