New fader or mixer?

Max

I have a second-hand Rane 62 that I bought for a song ($450 or so including flight case). The faders have seen a lot of use and aren't that great even with a good cleaning. Rane no longer manufactures the faders, so if I want a replacement I'll have to drop $175 on an Innofader Pro 2. Meanwhile, I've found that the 62 doesn't place nice with Windows 10. Mine has this well known and horrible problem where all of a sudden both channels just throw out max volume static and the mixer has to be rebooted. It happens rarely but it's scary AF when it does and bad for your ears. After years of dragging their feet, Rane released a firmware update for the 62 not long ago, and the problem disappeared-- but only until a subsequent Windows update made it come back. I otherwise like the mixer a lot, but I don't know if I wanna put another $175 into it given the firmware problems and lack of continued support by Rane. OTOH I don't really want to spend a ton of money on a new mixer. What would you do?

• Like 1

I'd put a saved search on eBay for the 62 faders your after, something will come up eventually, find out the model version your after as Im sure its the same one that fits 61, 62, 68, 56S etc.... There a modular build so it'll jus be a case of replacing one or two bits so Im sure it'll be feasible to make em as good as new.

I wouldn't be keen on putting a innofader in a Rane mixer myself, the Rane faders are a key part to making those mixers dope.

If you was to go down the innofader path I'd recommend either the mini inno plus or the new mini inno pro models, there a bit cheaper than the pro version and more importantly infinitely easier to set up vs the faff of the pro's. I guess these mini innos - plus & pro are Rane compatible - Brace uses a mini on his fretless 57mk2.

In regards to the support thing.... I know the frustration well. I brought a used 61 around a year ago, the built in interface works ok ish on Mac OS Sierra but not good enough to be trusted in a live environment as it randomly becomes supper laggy, also the midi doesn't work at all. If I updated to High Sierra or Mojave OS I'd loose all computer related features.

If rolling back your OS isn't an option, then the best way to get stable use from discontinued digital hardware is having the most recently supported OS on a separate HDD/SDD partition.

I've finally got round to setting up this on my MacBook and the 61 now works perfectly, I jus have 40gig partition with OS El Capitan installed with the bare minimum programs and then set up all my music directories to my main system folders.

The only potential down side to this setup scenario is when new software features are released - updates for serato/Traktor etc.. that you may not be able to run on older operating systems.

For instance/my situation - I use Traktor 3 which doesn't run on El Capitan but fortunately my version of Traktor 2 is unlocked to all interfaces so Im happy to use Traktor 2 when I want to get the most out my 61, I can run Ableton live on my El Capitan partition from my main system partition, so I basically can do exactly the same stuff as Traktor 3 doesn't really have pacific features that I use or don't already have in Traktor 2.

Symatic makes a valid point about digital mixers, which is why I've always found it hard/impossible to justify spending 1500-2000 grand on top tier digital mixers as there digital features will have an average shelf life of 5 or 8 years, the later if your lucky. That said at least with mixers like the 61 and 62 your still left with a dope analogue mixer vs mixers with less analogue features like hardware send/return and if you picked up the mixer for cheap in the first place like I did then you can't have any real complaints. Ultimately all dj equipment has an element of compromise, all down to individual needs and what your willing to sacrifice.

• Like 1

im jealous that you found a 62 with a case for $450. I was looking for one a few months back before i got my z2. I couldn't find one for less than $1000. But i also needed a new dvs so it was more cost efficient to get something new. i agree with dutch, you should be able to find some faders on ebay. that win 10 issue sucks though. do you play out often??? thats when buggy issues like this become a serious problem. the alternative to rolling back the os would be to pick up a second hand laptop. shouldnt be hard to find a cheap HP running win 8. check offer up or let go.

Guest Symatic

... at least with mixers like the 61 and 62 your still left with a dope analogue mixer vs mixers with less analogue features like hardware send/return and if you picked up the mixer for cheap in the first place like I did then you can't have any real complaints. Ultimately all dj equipment has an element of compromise, all down to individual needs and what your willing to sacrifice.

was thinking similar thing - at least the 62 is a dope analog mixer. would still be grating on me if i'd paid full price only for the manufacturer to Brick half the mixer after 5 years.

for the priec of this 2nd hand unit it would be still jsutified as a analog mixer i guess - you can still use effects and routing pretty well, without serato. but once you have bought new faders its gonna be what ... $500 or $600 mixer? still kinda ok i guess.... Id rather have a 56 just so i don't have to have half the mixers functions sat there not working.

can you use the 62 as an interface for DJ Player Pro on iOS devices? probably not cos its all Rane-y but maybe.....

yeah the other option is to run an out of date unsupported DJing-only-with-a-rane-62 laptop, which you could buy 2nd hand and it would still come in at under the price of a new 62 cos of the mad cheap deal you got on the mixer.....

I second pauls comment about innofader too - I've only had bad experiences with inno and rane. there really is no point over complicating it.

• Like 1

can you use the 62 as an interface for DJ Player Pro on iOS devices? probably not cos its all Rane-y but maybe.....

Think its Class Compliant drivers that only work with iOS, which the 57mk2 has but the 61,62 and the other rane digital featured units released around that time all used CoreAudio drivers.

If the 57mk2 had fx send on the aux/mic channel and wet&dry controls (which the 61,62 both have) I'd be very tempted to buy a reasonably priced used 57mk2. It has dual usb interface - could have iOS loopy and laptop running in tandem on the USB send & return, that level of digital send & return flexibility paired with the hardware send & return gives me a chub.

There's a (nerdly) interesting thread on the whole mac OS support issue in the link below. Came across it when researching how to get my 61 working properly.

https://dj.rane.com/forums/viewthread/669

Long story short - apple are dic's for pointlessly rebuilding there OS every fucking year and breaking drivers. Updating to a new OS before its been out for at least 12 months isn't advisable and always consider that any investment in dj gear with digital features will only work fully while its supported, ergo fuck spending 1500 to 2G on digital gear unless your earning big bucks out of said hardware.

(Shouts to A&H who've jus updated drivers for ancient long since discontinued hardware - 2D & DX)

• Like 3

Ouch thats exactly why i dont want a dvs mixer - once support ends your basically fooked.

Id expect you could find faders on ebay right?

PCB's and the plastic bit on the rails are independently available but not a whole assembled unit.