SCRATCH BATTLE: Post a (audio) file...

DJ Rock Well

Looking round the the scratchernet these days, its become a pretty self congratulatory place. Everyone's homies, taking selfies with each other, trading likes and non-threatening emojis.

But this wasnt always the case... Back in the early noughties, the greater scratchernet consisted just of a couple of scratch forums/message boards and these places were blood baths. Back then all you had were your skills, 15 different aliases and the opportunity to post a 128kpbs audio file to silence your peers and their aliases when they inevitably started calling you a lady dog.

Shameless nostalgia aside, I think theres a lot of merit in judging cuts as audio alone. Videos can sway votes in all manner of ways. Particularly, I think being able to see what the hands are doing can mask the fact that some different techniques all sound the same when reduced to audio.

So there you go, I give you two weeks to post a scratch audio file and then well have a public vote for the winner straight after. No real rules beyond that, any length, any beat, any style. All that matters is the impact of the end product. Whatever you think you can do that will silence your haters and have your mates screwfacing from start to finish.

Post up your files in this thread (soundcloud preferably as it auto-embeds the player in here!) by the close of Sunday the 3rd of March.

• Like 5

Just to reiterate, audio file entries can be any format - freestyle cuts, a carefully constructed diss track, a loop pedal scratch track, anything at all that is an audio file and features scratching.

Whatever you think is your best chance to silence the people who say youre whack, cant cut and that your opinion is therefore worthless :)

• Like 2

These are all dope. Never heard J-House cut before. Damn!

Si's is hilarious and the cuts are tight.

I half expected Dopez to call me out after I said something in another thread about DJ's cutting over Premier instrumentals but hey, I guess you proved me wrong :)

Good call, Rockwell. I've been sitting on something for a while that could work here...

• Like 5

Guest Symatic

J House, wack,

Symatic, wack,

Dopez, wack

Joe, hasn't posted yet but, ... wack.

Rock Well, wack for coming up with this topic

Steve, wack for hosting this whole webpage

Am I doing this right?

n00b, y don't u p0a5t a fyl byotch

you also forgot to go into extreme detail about why the battle scene is dead while simultaniously not getting involved in anything or releasing any music.

• Like 2

J House, wack,

Symatic, wack,

Dopez, wack

Am I doing this right?

n00b, y don't u p0a5t a fyl byotch

you also forgot to go into extreme detail about why the battle scene is dead while simultaniously not getting involved in anything or releasing any music.

Oh, I'm going to post a file yet make it very clear that I'm only exerting "15% effort" so that when you guys hand me my ass I can say "well, I wasn't even trying".

I've got this!

J House, wack,

Symatic, wack,

Dopez, wack

Am I doing this right?

Nearly! All we need now is for a couple of 'new members' to pop up to back you up :d

:ph34r: