BEAT BATTLE: SAMPLE CHALLENGE - Hello Dexter Morgan!

A few years back when Dexter started on TV, I watched it and always fancied sampling some of the music used in it. Both the score and some of the Cuban stuff too. So I bought the soundtrack, but I never got round to even opening it and some time later Fong Fong used it in his DMC set and I felt like I'd missed the boat then.

But situations like this are what DV beat battles are for, so I cracked it open!

lBLzsxW.jpg?1

X8sQor4.jpg?1

That should've been it, except half way through recording the second side I noticed it sounded off. On closer inspection, all the grooves on this side were pressed way off centre and all the sustained notes had been afflicted with a weird vibrato. So I had to find a download in the end.

The wavs

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0z30oth58u80sgv/dexter%20ost%20wavs.zip?dl=0

As usual, the only rule is that you have to sample at least one sound from the audio files provided above. You can add any other sounds, samples, instruments, cuts, vocals, etc. The final result can be any style, medium or genre you like.

Post up your entries in the comments of this thread.

Deadline for entries will be the end of Tuesday, 5th of March.

• Like 2

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Well is this January's or February's monthly challenge you big slacker? :d

Samples? MPC?

Say no more ;)

I be all over this quicker then Jimmy Savile in a children's hospital

Guess I chose the wrong month to call it quits.. :((

No you don't not this easily. I've spoken to Mrs Swift and she told me it's SP time or she will whack you with a frying pan repeatedly over the head

• Like 1

Well...

I started these beat battles ad its what I was doing anyway and I have a surplus of records to sample. It was never meant to be instead of scratch battles.

The big DV scratch battles probably wont come round again as they were a hell of a lot of work for Steve and produced many headaches - organising judges and getting sponsors to actually send the prizes they promised and so on. Plus they were started at a time when not much else to was happening, which is no longer the case.

No reason we cant have any number of more low key scratch battles like these beat battles though. Preferably to a similar theme as the beat battles of something for us forum members to sharpen our skills and generally interact and give each feedback, etc.

Actually Ive got an idea now, which Ill get rolling. After thats done though, if you or anybody else wants to organise such a thing then its as simple as having an idea and posting a thread.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...