Ive jus started a new dj+drummer project

Myself and the drummer - Jack from the brass band we're in are starting a new ting, super early days but Im keen AF to develop this into a proper live act.

The vid below is jus a super ruff jammed out improv vibes of one of our tracks.

Its been mad fun working with Jack, in the short time we've spent in the studio together we've already got 5 tracks well on the way.

Current work flow is jus listen to some music we're into for inspiration, search thru instruments/make some patches, create some melodies/basslines etc... and then jus jam it all out and add some live dubbing and cuts = instant fun :)

End goal is to create a live show but got a long way to go and a bit of equipment to buy before thats feasible.

Currently the electric drum kit we're using is a super dated V-drum rig, so we need a kit we can put our own samples into so we can make our D&B/Jungle and Dub stuff sound authentic.

Mixer wise Im currently using the Rane 61, such a dope powerful little mixer but the last time the drivers were officially supported was years ago so the interface doesn't run smooth enough to be trusted in a live environment.

That new A&H Xone 96 mothership mixer seems like the best mixer for the job to act as the main hub for this kinda thing, 6 channels, two send FX channels, two separate headphones monitor outs, quality mic amps/filters, analog, mad flexible routing options etc etc etc....

Vid is set to unlisted as not interested in putting out there but wanted to share on DV for some feedback and thoughts.

• Like 6

I can't listen to it right now since I forgot my headphones at home but how about this device?

http://www.mixdownmag.com.au/reviewed-yamaha-ead10-electronic-acoustic-drum-module

I guess your drummer already has a regular drum set, so this will be cheaper than getting a complete electronic kit and you have lots of ways to combine acoustic and electronic sounds. Or just go acoustic and experiment with mixing, heads and sizes (10" side snare drums, towels and metal chains on heads).

The feel of rubber pads just sucks in my opinion, so I'd go for mesh heads (or regular heads if you decide on the EAD10).

Lots of people complain about the built-in sounds of top of the line e-drums, so being able to use your own samples is a must.

I'll check the video later, sounds really interesting. :)

• Like 2

Yeah,this sounds dope Dubba!

I always like to see this kind of stuff where DJs and musicians are working together to push the boundaries by trying to do things a little differently.

I reckon you'll have loads of fun with it,you've just got to take it to the stage now,baby!

• Like 2

Cheers dudes and ALL CAPS PETE :wub: :d

@mfsop - funny enough a module like the one you shared for putting triggers on a real kit is something we've been looking at doing with the brass band so we can develop a more authentic electronic sound when the band does D&B stuff.

The old school Vdrum kit in the vid has mesh heads but only the earlier versions, the module is proper basic and 90% of sounds are naff AF. As things stand Im pretty keen on not using a real kit, the practicalities of electric vs having to mic, mix, setup, move and the space a real kit takes up is stretch to far to jus gain real feel. Ultimately the kit samples we want to eventually use will all be electric anyways.

Im hoping Jack will go down road of an Roland Octapad style device where he can jus add decent quality e-drums - basically biting the electric rig in the vid below, seems most practical to me but all down to what Jack prefers.

And then have one mic for live looping some real perc into Ableton where I can dub it up.

​After last summers experience of festival gigs with an 11 piece brass band Im now keen to make this dj + drummer thing practical and as easy to set up as pos :)
  • Like 2

I always like to see this kind of stuff where DJs and musicians are working together to push the boundaries by trying to do things a little differently.

I've all but lost the appetite for creating turntablist style routines these days, which is mostly down to the fact I wanna learn more about making music.

What Im loving about this dj + drummer project so far is I get to use the stuff I've picked up from doing routines and apply it in a different way but still has dj orientated work flow. Jus having the e-drums running thru my mixer where I can filter and add fx results in dirty great big grin on my face.

• Like 1

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

I'm very happy this is a thing! Busting jams with a drummer is fun. Was the first jamming i did outside of other turntable dudes with a drumming dude back when the year it was started with 1.

Lolz he's in the same area (being Phil's corner) as the drummer we made to do a rage storm off at the studio when i asked him to not play his cymbals so much cos i couldn't hear anything and then Skins came in and went oh no we're in for a right ear bashing.

• Like 3

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

Lolz, yeah, but i did feel bad tho, drums take ages to pack away which meant there was a good few mins where he was brusquely packing away his stuff, which kind of blunts the effect of storming off and creates an awkward impasse in the room

• Like 3

Cheers dudes and ALL CAPS PETE :wub: :d

@mfsop - funny enough a module like the one you shared for putting triggers on a real kit is something we've been looking at doing with the brass band so we can develop a more authentic electronic sound when the band does D&B stuff.

The old school Vdrum kit in the vid has mesh heads but only the earlier versions, the module is proper basic and 90% of sounds are naff AF. As things stand Im pretty keen on not using a real kit, the practicalities of electric vs having to mic, mix, setup, move and the space a real kit takes up is stretch to far to jus gain real feel. Ultimately the kit samples we want to eventually use will all be electric anyways.

Im hoping Jack will go down road of an Roland Octapad style device where he can jus add decent quality e-drums - basically biting the electric rig in the vid link below

And then have one mic for live looping some real perc into Ableton where I can dub it up.

​After last summers experience of festival gigs with an 11 piece brass band Im now keen to make this dj + drummer thing practical and as easy to set up as pos :)

My brother's a drummer and has an electric drum kit to practice as it pisses off the neighbours less. He's played around with a few different options over the years and the one he's landed on is Superior Drummer. I think it's basically just a plugin/sampler thing. It runs off his laptop anyway. He says he gets the most realistic sounds from it with all the versatility of having an electric drum kit.

• Like 1

@doob - Think Jack jus uses Logic when he wants real kit sounds on his own e-drums but will give that pluggin a mention.

@TBear - Cheers dude! The track in the vid is our closest to finished from our other stuff, the next thing with this tune is having a mess around with the chords and maybe some other instrument sounds in DVS.

I've only jus starting using Ableton in this way and it makes this kinda live play super accessible - pretty quick n easy to make up loops and variations on the fly - arrange clips in to scenes across intro, breakdown, verse, chorus etc... then the dubbing delay stuff jus helps give it all some movement and live play feel.

• Like 1

Don't give him too much, though! They're a greedy bunch.

Should have posted this here right away - all questions answered.

In this episode, Dave talks about:

• technology

• blop blops and blip blops

• native arboreal specimens of Northern California

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just now seeing this, sounds good Dubba, I have played with a live drummer before and there was good and bad to it. You are taking the much better approach of having him hear your output thru headphones versus just blaring your stuff through a PA pointed at him (that's what I did lol) looking forward to where this leads !

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Even in the beginning stages this sounded really dope for a jam session Dubba, Damn the bassline was so dirty its given me an STD :o

Looking forward to hearing how this progresses :8