How long will B&O Cartridges last?

My living room listening turntable is a Bang & Olufsen Beogram RX. It's not in immaculate shape but seems to do the job. I've been wondering tho--how long do these needles last and is it fucking up my records?? I doubt the styli has ever been changed. Reason I ask is the replacement is stupid expensive.... so wondering if I can keep using this or if it's probably damaging my records I'd just sell it for something more modern.

Guest Symatic

The 2 parts of a pickup (stylus and cartridge) have different measurements for lifespan.

The stylus will wear out with use, and obviously any other damage it might suffer at the hands of kids, drunks, whack djs, cats and over-zealous gravity.

You can look at it head on against a white surface to roughly gauge its health - nice even pointyness and everything looking symettrical and clean is a good start. Grab a microscope if possible and get a closer look.

The stylus is the part that could fuck up your records if its not riding in the groove nicely.

The cartridge will wear out over time no matter how much use it gets. The magnets will slowly lose their charge. Bit were talking decades not years. B&O is possibly old enough for this to matter but id be suprised.

Old cartridges will start to sound muffled and quiet.

Not sure if b&o have replaceable stylii, im guessing not as they are designer gear and that can often mean impractical.

You mightt be able to mod it in some way if you got really stuck. Fuck it stick a jesse dean on there!

• Like 1

Yeah seems like pretty limited options unfortunately. Good info. Thanks manwill check it out tonight. I was worried about the suspension dry rotting too. I dont think it has but figure it will eventually.

Shit man, the replacements and aftermarkets are so expensive... hard to decide between getting a replacement (if needed) or literally just buying a new turntable... I'd assume the old B&O would sound better tho but fuck if I know...

That's a good idea.

I looked at it with the naked eye and it looks fine to me. Not sure how many hours of use it had before me but I only use it occasionally so maybe it's largely fine.

• 2 months later...

Short update... I noticed the TT was playing slow. Been getting worse and worse so I decided fuck it and replaced is with a semi-auto Technics with a Sumiko Pearl moving mag cart. Very happy with my decision to cut line. Hoping to recoup a little money by selling the needle but will see how that goes.