BEAT BATTLE: SAMPLE CHALLENGE - Ethiopiques

DJ Rock Well

Well, you asked for it... yes, both of you.

Continuing the often used themes of stuff I really want to sample but haven't got round to yet and by default, sharing music I like that people might not know, it's time we tackled some Ethiopiques.

Probably old news to many, but to recap in case: Ethiopiques or Ethio-Jazz is a specific type Ethiopian music from the late 60s/early 70s. To massively simply the story, an Ethiopian musician went to the US in the mid 60s, played with jazz, funk and Latin musicians and took these styles back to Ethiopia and made music blending them with traditional Ethiopian music and melodies. It's lofi as fuck but just as atmospheric and these guys can really play. The singing won't be for everyone, but you know. FWIW 'Feqer Feqer New' is my jam!

At the time it wasn't big thing really. With a pretty small pool of musicians playing on all the tracks and records only getting issued on a couple of labels in Ethiopia and France. But it's had renaissance in recent years via the series of CDs compiling pretty much the whole back catalogue, the Broken Flowers soundtrack, Nas and Jr Gong sampling loads of this for their album, Dr John's album produced by Dan Auerbach, etc, etc. Despite this newfound popularity, I reckon there's still plenty to get busy with.

And now the difficult part... it's a CD :o

But time was tight and there's more stuff on here I want to sample than on any of the handful of records I've got, so there.

6vsBRnj.jpg

The wavs

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4xuelp6y5nek0on/best%20of%20ethiopiques.zip?dl=0

As usual, the only rule is that you have to sample at least one sound from the audio files provided above. You can add any other sounds, samples, instruments, cuts, vocals, etc. The final result can be any style, medium or genre you like.

Post up your entries in the comments of this thread.

Deadline for entries will be the end of Wednesday, 5th September.

• Like 3

There is a shit ton of awesome samples here, but i really dont like this music lol.

Hehe.

I've not even listened to the wavs yet.

I'll try to get on it at some point this weekend if possible.

Each to their own and I realise this is never gonna be for everyone... but I don't like at least half the music I've ever samped TBH. In fact, often it's the biggest motivator... as in 'these 3 seconds are fantastic but they're buried in this awful track. How can I present the really good bit in a way it will be appreciated by more people'. In many ways the whole culture of breaks is just this.

• Like 3

That's hip hop right there! Take something you don't like it and turn it into something that sounds dope. J-Zone made a career out of sitting through material he hated until he found that magic two bar loop. It also increases your chances of using something that no one else has.

• Like 3

I generally like all music enough to listen through it a good few times before i hit never listen again zone, this made my skin crawll on the first few listens, there is probably a shit ton of samples i have missed because of that.

The only thing i like is the vocals lol.

• Like 1

Gonna try my best to get in. My setup isn't up at the moment.

Get an ipad, my set up hasn't been erm set up for ages, got to sell more shit to make room, made more music lying on my bed than i have for years lol.

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

Seriously, there are so many ways to make music on the iPad these days that it ought to be criminal - or at least severely reprimanded.

• Like 1