M.C. Escher

chile

^^^^^Woooorrd on the Van Gough^^^^^

You need to see Van Goughs works in the flesh to truely appreciate his work (a good excuse to visit the Dam he he)

His paintings are almost three dimensional with the thickness of the paint. You totally overlook this when you see 2D prints on paper or a television.

Obviously it's all down to personal preference but if you get the chance (assuming you haven't done already) go see some of his work for real. Amazing stuff.

My old mans an artist of sorts and he sounds a bit like your Mum Dee. He's completely turned me on to Mondrian when I probably wouldn't have given his work a second look.

Edited by dextrous

yeh ive seen his work in that museum in holland when i was a lil un. I think back then i was too hyperactive to appriciate his work, running around the place like a headless chicken. I havnt seen his work in a long time, all i remember seeing was the drawings of the potato farmers, stooping down looking like they need a rest.. could do with a van gogh section ;P *hint*

master of symmetry..

hate to be anal, but thats actually tesselation (i bet someone's going to correct me on my spelling now after a comment like that :))

fair, sounds like it is from sigs definition.. i got those pics a while ago from the 'symmetry drawings' section in the escher's foundation site though.. http://www.mcescher.com/Gallery/gallery-symmetry.html

Guest Deeswift
^^^^^Woooorrd on the Van Gough^^^^^

You need to see Van Goughs works in the flesh to truely appreciate his work (a good excuse to visit the Dam he he)

His paintings are almost three dimensional with the thickness of the paint. You totally overlook this when you see 2D prints on paper or a television.

Obviously it's all down to personal preference but if you get the chance (assuming you haven't done already) go see some of his work for real. Amazing stuff.

My old mans an artist of sorts and he sounds a bit like your Mum Dee. He's completely turned me on to Mondrian when I probably wouldn't have given his work a second look.

That's exactly what my mother told me when she saw the original sunflower paintings. She said you could never fully appreciate Gogh's work until you actually see it, the colours are so vivid and beautiful, the pictures are huge too, and as you described, kinda 3D.

Props to your dad, btw!