How is this type of trick mixing done? doubling up words/snares

DZC

I hear it all the time in mixes. I can copy it but theres one part I'm not sure about

I can scratch in a snare or a word just before the other one, like you can hear, and also just flick the crossfader between both channels so it says the word or has the snare repeatedly again and again

But then sometimes you can hear the sound being being isolated and wondering how that is done. Do they then bring the upfaders into it? You can hear examples in the clip
In the clips you can hear him scratching it in to double up the sound he wants, or then just flicking to repeat it. But its the isolating and cutting out the rest that I dont get?? Do you know what's going on there? Any help would be appreciated

yo!

to get the isolated sound and have it repeat (like at 10 seconds into that clip) they're most likely using the upfader - cutting over away from the 'lead' track to the track you're manipulating so it's in isolation and then using the upfader for stabs.

this routine video i made might be helpful to visualize it (check it out from 1:07). I don't do the upfader solos but I do a lot of snare trickmix patterns. you could swap between sounds on alternate bars for variety (which is what it sounds like the dj in the clip you posted is doing).

• Like 2

Cheers for the replies guys! DJ Godfather is definitely another one who does this but cant see him actually doing the "isolating" with the upfaders on that video. And cant see it on the other video either?

I'm wondering if this is it here... 1 minute 20 seconds here he uses the upfaders to cut it up a bit whilst he's scratching in the sound with the crossfader, and also at 2 mins 30

Cheers for the replies guys! DJ Godfather is definitely another one who does this but cant see him actually doing the "isolating" with the upfaders on that video. And cant see it on the other video either?

I'm wondering if this is it here... 1 minute 20 seconds here he uses the upfaders to cut it up a bit whilst he's scratching in the sound with the crossfader, and also at 2 mins 30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvpF3F4wdd0

Yep that's it. He's doubling with the cross fader then doing a quick upfader stab with the cross fader all the way to the right

Study Melo D.

BTW, at first glance, DJ Godfather looks like Kenny fuckin' Powers.

At first glance DJ Godfather looks exactly like Kenny from down the pub to me....

Ken's also excellent at playing darts although I obviously can't speak for DJ Godfather's talents at the game as I've never seen him on the oche.

+180 ! on the Melo D comment though.

• 1 month later...

Klever was really suffering from 'Turntable Back' that year.

I've seen hundreds of examples of this but I can't remember any of them! The silence you get is caused when the crossfader is all the way to the other side and the upfader is pulled down briefly, for the stab.

EDIT: shit, I've just noticed how old this thread is, haha.