DJ Woody's Grind Strips

What the shit. That's kinda crazy and not at all what I was imagining. Post a review when you get a chance, Jordan!

• Like 2

found this quite useful if anyone else was wondering how it works

"Woody tells us how it works:

“If you swipe over the Grind Strip with part of your hand as you move the record, the movement will be broken up as so will the sound, like a fader click. For example, swiping over one button will break the sound into two parts (like a tear), swipe over two buttons and you get three sounds, three buttons give you four sounds and so on.

The more pressure you apply with the swipe, the more defined the sound. This all allows for some very intricate and controlled faderless scratches. And the beauty is that it’s all using just one hand, so you still have your fader hand free for extra fader clicks, cue points, mixer effects or whatever you like. There’s tons to be explored (if you’re as geeky as me!).”

I'm not the best with tears so this will come in handy!

This makes me think of Qbert's new crop circle records.

A mash up of the Grind Strips with the Crop Circles could make for some interesting accessories to come in the future.

Unfortunate name, or maybe genius haha.

But yeah, wow. This kind of thickens the plot a little bit on the Woody vs. Ruck input on the Controller One. I had originally heard that the main table idea was Ric's idea (buttons for the notes, etc.) and that Woody's main contribution was the placement of extra buttons down by the platter. At the time the placement of the buttons didn't seem all that important because we assumed a foot pedal would come along but once the pedal never happened and I got a C1 I realized how important the placement of those note buttons actually is. Even if that truely was the only thing Vestax got from Woody, that's a really big thing.

The "grindsrip" looks like it was originally intended to go above the buttons on the C1. He explains it on the right there but the graphic isn't that helpful in showing them.

The other thing in that design mockup that's dope is the octave up and down buttons near the platter buttons. That's one of the main things I wish the C1 had down there in that area.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely a cool utility for the turntable. I'm still learning best placement for hands to quickly access it with my thumbs. I feel you need to press pretty hard to get the full effect.

Using the strip on the portable is easier, but makes mah needle bounce.

I dig em. I like where this is going!

• Like 1