Gibson guitars go bust, (owners of KRK and Stanton)

US guitar firm Gibson goes bust - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43967923

"Under the bankruptcy measures, Gibson will wind down it's consumer audio buisness, whose brands include KRK, Cerwin Vega and Stanton headphones, loudspeakers and turntables."

Don't know what that will mean, will someone buy or what....

Fucks sakes. Cheap stanton decks though? They did a str8 150 mk2 didnt they?

Damn feels is everything going obsolete... I was thinking about a Stanton with the straight arm. Cheap for a Direct Drive deck but I went even cheaper with an Epsilon. I got a used Stanton STR8 arm for a mod I have started which I don't know if it makes it worse if I damage it now and then they are not available anymore... Will all companies start going bust? Shure now Stanton?

Shure haven't gone bust, they just got bored of making carts

I didn't know that much about it other than everyone saying to buy as fast as possible but it is a bit annoying for things like certain portable mods that are designed for the Shure cartridge. I am not that knowledgeable about the different types of stylus but I guess something will come along and fill the gap. Seems crazy big companies are not making such well known products when there are a lot of people who spend crazy money (to me anyway) on upgrading plastic portables. I guess the interest in turntables and accessories it's not as widespread as I thought... I picked a weird time to get back into vinyl!

Shure haven't gone bust, they just got bored of making carts

I didn't know that much about it other than everyone saying to buy as fast as possible but it is a bit annoying for things like certain portable mods that are designed for the Shure cartridge. I am not that knowledgeable about the different types of stylus but I guess something will come along and fill the gap. Seems crazy big companies are not making such well known products when there are a lot of people who spend crazy money (to me anyway) on upgrading plastic portables. I guess the interest in turntables and accessories it's not as widespread as I thought... I picked a weird time to get back into vinyl!

Despite how active the portable or even the turntablist scene seems to us at this current time, which is at its best health since the early 2000s.... the scene is still a spec of niche within a niche.

• Like 3

Gibson are $500 million in debt but they'll survive through restructuring the business.

This has all been coming for some time..the guitar world has been watching these developments for months now so it's not actually a big suprise.

Gibson made a huge mistake with their acquisition of Phillips audio division and should have stuck to what they were good at which is making great guitars.

A harsh lesson learned but that's capitalism running rampant for you.

I have zero sympathy for them to be perfectly honest.

• Like 2

Gibson did say they are gonna carry on with the guitars but dump most of the tech, this 'restructuring' is probably more about avoid paying debts. Which tech they mean hasn't been declared yet, but I did read that brands like KRK are possibly still good viable business for them.

I have no sympathy for them but I like my good-ish for the price KRKs! and Stanton's STR8-150's too! So basically their core business carries on and the brands than actually matter to be eat shit.

All the non Gibson brands are up for sale, Cakewalk was the first to go, I suspect KRK will be next, either to InMusic or Behringer and i wouldn't be surprised if Stanton ended up going the way of Vestax, they have little interesting IP.

• Like 2

Maybe someone will want Stanton for patent mining or a lower tier brand. Denom or Pioneer maybe. KRK for sure will go to Behringer. Its not that they make straight up horrible bad gear but its like... beige in every category.

I cant think of any unique IP Stanton have that is worth buying them for, have they even released anything in the last 5 years ?

I could see somebody behringer buying the Tascam name just for fun too lol

All the non Gibson brands are up for sale, Cakewalk was the first to go, I suspect KRK will be next, either to InMusic or Behringer and i wouldn't be surprised if Stanton ended up going the way of Vestax, they have little interesting IP.

the "Stan-Touch" from the sc3 series would have been, and would still be much more attractive if they had just given the users the firmware with the darouter included.

drew gave me some weird explanation of how the deal with florian kept them from releasing the new firmware, but it sounded like bs.

I've still got an old video on youtube, where I'm using the scs3 with an ipad (you can do that with the alternate firmware.

here it is, that's me in the video. i have no idea who the bullshitter that reposted and is pretending to be the guy in the video is.

I begged those goobers at Stanton to hand the reins to me, if they had, Stanton would still be relevant

• Like 3

No disrespect to you here at all because this wasnt your departmrnt, but when gibson bought stanton the customer service went right down the shitter, one guy even said publicly on their forum when asked about some DJ gear "There is no platter on a turntable, stop making up words" real confindence breeders haha.

• Like 1

Well, Im certainly sorry for any problems you had with the 4d. Drew and I, and the talented folks at IVL, all put every ounce of energy and time we had into making it as good as we could.

I wanted to see it become a dvs device.

I was also willing to be an official phone customer service, any time day or night, which I was already doing unofficially, but innovative ideas were too much for some people there.

• Like 1

the "Stan-Touch" from the sc3 series would have been, and would still be much more attractive if they had just given the users the firmware with the darouter included.

drew gave me some weird explanation of how the deal with florian kept them from releasing the new firmware, but it sounded like bs.

I've still got an old video on youtube, where I'm using the scs3 with an ipad (you can do that with the alternate firmware.

here it is, that's me in the video. i have no idea who the bullshitter that reposted and is pretending to be the guy in the video is.

I begged those goobers at Stanton to hand the reins to me, if they had, Stanton would still be relevant

Yeah man, the SC3 stuff had SO much potential.

• 3 weeks later...

Ouch...but not unexpected. When I started interfacing with the Scratch nerdom again a few years ago 2013ish

I contacted them.

It was underwhelming to say the least, when they bought the Deckadance software it showed how off they were.

Also chatted with Serato about 7 Inch Records :-) and a few other companies but they don't seem to be

as forward thinking as they used to be imo.

I have no idea how things unfolded since 2005 and with the company, I got the cold shoulder when they concentrated

on Final Scratch and everything that was released after that and here we are...

Crazy how things happen, hopefully someone picks up the Stanton brand does something good with it.

• Like 2