need help

Gkill

I guess you are new to the game.
Its not "real" vinyl. He is using Serato with his own printed labels. And the "files" on each side are not the same. They are prepared in a audio editor to make sure the samples and songs are bpm matched. Dont think there are any tutorials on lining up a routine. And to be honest there should not be.

Guest broke

I supported JFB when he played here recently. His whole set seemed to be divided into battle-style edit files, with each file containing a string of about three or four tracks, spearated into left and right for cuts and juggles. It meant that he was pretty much doing something for the whole two hours and the energy stayed up the whole time. So the purists are going to diapprove but the crowd loved it.

• Like 2

Yeah his edit game is serious.

Seen him play a few times over the years at various festivals. Music he plays and approach isnt what Im in to but Ive got nothing but respect for his achievements and skill level. Proper party rocker and there cant be many better tablists that can relentlessly juggle as tightly for a whole hour as JFB, beastly stuff.

• Like 1

no i've been using serato for a few years, but i just wanted to get an opinion about his vinyl making technique because his way of doing is not uninteresting

I use the technique of dj angelo for vinyl making, on ableton live, I find that the technique of jfb can be good for creating routines that can allow more focus on your scratchs, pass pass etc after that remains as an idea, I am a novice.

Edited by Gkill

To be more precise for 10 years I only freestyle scratch and I never managed to create routine, today I would like to create one. but I lack methology so I try to understand some video and try to find a tutorial but it's hard to structure everything

Edited by Gkill

Do you beat juggle much and whats your dj setup?

Edits can make aspects of routine creation more accessible but if you haven't made any routines yet I'd recommend starting off with unedited tracks first to get a good understanding of beat placement which will then help you understand how you want to edit tracks for a JFB approach

Guest broke

There are lots of different ways to approach making routines using Ableton etc.

If you look at Fong Fong's YouTube/Soundcoud he uploaded the files for one of his routines, so you could start by having a look at those files and watching the routine.

• Like 1

Cool vid but what happens if you make a mistake? Surely the whole thing goes to shit?

Is he using one file with loads of cue points or is he using multiple files with 8 cue points each? It seems to me that he's doing the former but I didn't think it was possible to have more than 8 cue points per file, at least not in Serato.

Good stuff. Not sure I could keep that up for an hour though!