PUBG Snacks - "Mambo"

Here's my second PUBG Short "Snack".

(Full Video 4k + Sound)

(Gfycat Quick Preview)

The actual gameplay in this video was about 20 seconds long for me. The video is under 2 minutes. Took me maybe 20 days to make sense of all the footage an put it together (sound, color, transitions etc) as I'm still learning the software and cinema in general.

Hope you guys like it.

Guest Symatic

(excuse my total ignorance) but is this like making a movie out of action replays of games?

looks like you could have a lot of fun with it though. i guess you can get like any angle you want? the way the bullets landed on the ground made me think they were like a special set of bullets that land upright or something.... but i tihnk they just glitched out a bit right? sorry i might be embarrassing myself hahah i know nothing about gaming unless its GTA San Andreas/Vice City or Doom 1 :)

• Like 1

(excuse my total ignorance) but is this like making a movie out of action replays of games?

looks like you could have a lot of fun with it though. i guess you can get like any angle you want? the way the bullets landed on the ground made me think they were like a special set of bullets that land upright or something.... but i tihnk they just glitched out a bit right? sorry i might be embarrassing myself hahah i know nothing about gaming unless its GTA San Andreas/Vice City or Doom 1 :)

Yes.

I use OBS to screen capture the replays, then I use Davinci Resolve 14 to edit/color. The replay system doesn't really encourage cinema making (compared to games like TF2), so you have to find ways to get certain shots.

The fun thing about replay is that it is NOT a recording. It remembers the position/ movement/ action of things - but items in free fall (ie. projectiles, dead bodies) follow chaos theory + physics.

Those shotgun shells will fall and hit the ground in a different way, every time. I think that shot took 5 different takes before I was happy with it. Same goes for girl who get's shot and rag-dolls to the ground.

Guest Symatic

thats cool. so does Davinci Resolve deal with this sort of footage better? like what IS the footage? is it a 2D render of the animated 3D space of the game - llike a burnt in version of the camera's point of view? or is the editing software set up to work with a computer game environment?

I'm new to semi-serious video editing and I'm pretty happy with Resolve.

Resolve is just a NLE video editor (like avid, adobe premiere, final cut). I chose to use Davinici Resolve 14 because the only real alternative is Adobe CC, which requires a monthly subscription... Resolve is free and the workflow is simpler. With Adobe, you would have to import/export files through Premiere, After Effects, and Audition. Resolve does everything in one program

I recently rebuilt my PC (i7-8700k, 1080 Ti, PCIe M.2 SSD's, Ultrawide 3440x1440 PG348Q) and I promised myself I would spend as much time producing things as I do consuming things, so here I am.

-

And yes, the footage is a "what you see is what you get" recording from the camera's POV. OBS Studio captures what I see on the screen, and I use hotkeys to turn record on/off. Now, in the actual replay mode of PUBG I use a xbox one controller to give me smooth camera motion using analog sticks. I can't do that with a mouse. I have play/pause replay bound to the controller, as well as zoom and playback speed.

I also record things at 1/4 speed with the highest quality graphics, instead of slowing down playback speed in Resolve for slow motion.