Phase - Needleless DVS

Jon

I hadn't thought of the issue switching between vinyl and the phase. The Rane 57mkii is going to have the same issue as the 72 but I think the Aux input will work. Pretty sure that's dedicated to the mixer channel just like a CD or Phono input would be. The other valid complaint I heard was about the phase units getting in their way during juggles. Still, seems like a dope product. I wouldn't call it a "game changer" but I definitely advances the ball.

• Like 1

As a Traktor user I won't be buying Phase any time soon :( I noticed Traktor being used with Phase in one of there Namm promo vids and spotted the calibration failed indicator flashing. When Traktor DVS still works but calibration fails it means that Traktor isn't getting all the info its been programmed to gather, aka - stuff that bootleg timecode doesn't generate.

Phase synthesises a constant timecode signal without generating position information, DVS relies on this information to eliminate sticker drift - Traktor really depends on this info, Serato not as much.

I've seen quite a few Phase owning grumpy Traktor users on social media over the last week.

The ultimate solution is for NI and Serato to do deals with Phase and add native support - let the Phase receiver communicate directly to software via USB vs its current approach which really is jus a very clever hack thats gonna be difficult 100% eliminate sticker drift. But considering it'll cost NI/Serato time and money to add native support Im not hugely confident it'll happen, who knows....

Dubba, you might want to ask the creators of Phase about letting you 'test' their product given that you play in very adverse conditions. Playing on shifty stages is no joke — you have plenty of videos to back it up, too.

I really don't think there's that many dj's who regularly play in the worst environment you could ask DVS to perform in as I do. Temporary stages are my ultimate enemy, then add 11 keen AF band mates jumping around the place = last situation you'd wanna put a turntable in etc...

At the events I tried Phase I talked to the developers at length why Im so keen on the technology (showed em some vids with some pretty hefty hints...) In reality I don't have a following that merits sponsorship/freebies, plus they've already got some bloke called Jazzy Jeff behind them.

I wouldn't call it a "game changer" but I definitely advances the ball.

If they get Phase working as intended then for me it'll def be a game changer, switching to internal mode and not being able to scratch when in mid heat of the moment/performing because your DVS signal is being crushed is a constant nut ache and can easily be a show stopper if you don't act quick enough.

Prior to Phase I jus wanted NI to bring out a Traktor equivalent of the Rane 12 to get round the issues I have, but now I jus hope they can get Phase working at 100% as I'd far prefer the ability to use a normal turntable with DVS vs a digi only deck.

• Like 3

I think Catalyst Cintroller is more likely to be the usable one going forward.

From Traktor POV without official support etc... Id have to agree Phase may not be the answer to my prays.

Bob mentioned to me the work around hes gonna apply to catalyst controller, I really hope he pulls it off! To be honest it was exactly what I thought Phase would of done vs there current approach which was always gonna have sticker drift.

Update after using phase at a few gigs/ rehearsals.

It's the shit.

There's some bugs however:

1. (Serato will randomly switch to internal mode after 15 mins of it being used but then you just switch it back to relative mode and t won't do t again unless you close Serato). My solution is leave it running 15 mins before my set until the bug happens then I'm good to go.

2. The pitch calibration is off - 0 on the turntable isn't 0 in Serato with phase at the moment, I have to adjust using the onscreen pitch reading in Serato as a guide then I'm good.

3. There is some drifting. One show I had this bad, the others on louder / beefier systems have actually been pretty good which is weird.

All of this they know about and I hope will be fixed in firmware updates.

Overall it's solved all my issues with dvs- I feel much more confident using it to do routines for an hour while two of us blast drum pads and monitor speakers right next to it than I did using regular dvs where I'd have constant issues.

Hoping new firmware will be out soon

• Like 2

Im less interested in catalyst now i know its only an add on for the main catalyst and not a standalone bluetooth puc.

It will be like ten times the price of phase.

Keep in mind it is still a prototype, and the fastest way to make it work was as an add-on, I never mentioned Bluetooth - albeit maybe could have been more clear on 'how' exactly it works. Be that as it may, I do intend to be very clear about the compromises or side notes that are involved. E.g. There is added latency, I know exactly which component adds how much latency, no reason to not mention that. And there is some other things as well.

On the drifting note, I really hope phase can fix that (as it's a problem for many users) but realistically I don't think it's something they can control. It is my under standing that both serato and ni compensate for the drift by polling either the noisemap (serato) or the position info on traktor cv. As long as they do not synthesize that, or have the permission to do so, it's just the sinetone - which in itself cannot eliminate drift.

Edited by bobkruijer

I think Catalyst Cintroller is more likely to be the usable one going forward.

From Traktor POV without official support etc... Id have to agree Phase may not be the answer to my prays.

Bob mentioned to me the work around hes gonna apply to catalyst controller, I really hope he pulls it off! To be honest it was exactly what I thought Phase would of done vs there current approach which was always gonna have sticker drift.

Isn't Catalyst controller the fretless fader alternative thingamijig ?

Keep in mind it is still a prototype.....

Is it though? Was it sold to the people who pre-ordered it as them buying a prototype?

There's a big difference between a product being imperfect, and a prototype. If it was explicitly stated that people were paying for a prototype then fair enough, but if not, then I don't think it's fair to refer to it as such.

I actually read these threads even though I don't really understand them properly..

All of this gear sounds like a complete and utter ballache to deal with in order to just DJ and play some music,basically.

tbh it leaves me totally scratching my head..

Why is this stuff so prone to unreliability,bugs,crashing and whatever..why is it so complicated and problematic?..and more to the point..why do people even bother with it exactly?

I actually read these threads even though I don't really understand them properly..

All of this gear sounds like a complete and utter ballache to deal with in order to just DJ and play some music,basically.

Why is this stuff so prone to unreliability,bugs,crashing and whatever..why is it so complicated and problematic?..and more to the point..why do people even bother with it exactly?

It mostly a practical tool. If you're playing gigs in various conditions where the stage is shaking, etc., it eliminates skipping issues that can still be a promblem even with DVS.

• Like 2

Update after using phase at a few gigs/ rehearsals.

It's the shit.

There's some bugs however:

1. (Serato will randomly switch to internal mode after 15 mins of it being used but then you just switch it back to relative mode and t won't do t again unless you close Serato). My solution is leave it running 15 mins before my set until the bug happens then I'm good to go.

2. The pitch calibration is off - 0 on the turntable isn't 0 in Serato with phase at the moment, I have to adjust using the onscreen pitch reading in Serato as a guide then I'm good.

3. There is some drifting. One show I had this bad, the others on louder / beefier systems have actually been pretty good which is weird.

All of this they know about and I hope will be fixed in firmware updates.

Overall it's solved all my issues with dvs- I feel much more confident using it to do routines for an hour while two of us blast drum pads and monitor speakers right next to it than I did using regular dvs where I'd have constant issues.

Hoping new firmware will be out soon

How are you finding battery life? I've heard some people saying it doesn't last as long as advertised and that the battery life indicators can be misleading/wrong. E.g. after fully charging both units, one person found after a 3 hour set that one unit was reporting 60% battery and the other was at 100%.

Keep in mind it is still a prototype.....

Is it though? Was it sold to the people who pre-ordered it as them buying a prototype?There's a big difference between a product being imperfect, and a prototype. If it was explicitly stated that people were paying for a prototype then fair enough, but if not, then I don't think it's fair to refer to it as such.

I was referring to Catalyst Tracker with the prototype.

With Phase, from what I know (but my knowledge is limited) is that people bought a pre-order and bacisally felt they were beta - testing it.

• Like 1

For the why bother .... my own pursuit of digital stuff is due to its flexibility and workflow efficency with both performance potential and setting up/packing down the actual hardware. Would be very hard to replicate what I like about digi stuff in to a vinyl and outboard gear rig without making a lot of compromises or introducing a different set of issues.

Pre joining up with a band/playing on big to huge stages/sound systems etc... I didn't really hit any issues with DVS, certainly no more or less than a real vinyl setup any way. Computer based dj'ing does hugely increase the variables, but keep on top of that shit and all is well.

The majority issues I now encounter with DVS is mostly down to temporary hollow stages which are jus not solid enough for a tonearm/needle to efficiently track the record grooves to get the best performance from DVS. Playing tracks would be impossible in some situations Ive been in but with the band Im jus scratching, which works well enough but occasionally the playhead can move which makes it sound like I've fucked up or if the needle is getting vibrated in the groove you can get digital artefacts sounds.

Poor isolation from sub bass or if I get over excited and hit cue points to hard can also cause issues.

The enviroment issues mentioned would be a problem for a real wax set up to plus its likely real vinyl would introduce feedback. Thinking back to my pre digital days when playing in big venues it was only places that properly catered for turntables like suspended tables chained from the ceiling or decent amount of concrete slabs under the decks to eliminate feedback where I could compete in volume against CD dj's without getting feedback.

Ive been using DVS in the wild since 2008 and experienced a total of 3 show stopping moments, all of which were user based - corrupted files (early days of music pirating) and not using recommended USB cable type.

That all said I totally get why peeps can be put off and jus wanna get down with the pleasure and simplicity of no computer dj'n.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone ELI5 why I should be interested in the PHASE products aside from the cool/wow factor?

If I have working tonearm and needles, why would I need/want PHASE?

If I have the new RANE turntable(s), why would I need/want PHASE?

Help me out here, I feel like I am missing something.

that's basically it - for me it's a safety net for shows because there's never guarantee on tour that equipment is in good condition or needles are going to go to shit because of humidity/bass etc.

• 1 year later...