Rane Twelve - holy shit

Guest rasteri

Mmmmmm C1

The 12 really comes in to its own for gigs when the isolation from huge rigs is poor, also eliminates a few other issues you can have. Id buy a 12 in a heart beat if they worked on Traktor, had to switch to internal mixing to many times over years. Hence Ill def be jumping on the Phase bandwagon when that drops.

did they press up a bunch of blank vinyl to stick on it?

Yeah there is something pressed on the top of the vinyl, though hilariously I have no real turntable set up to play it on. You can use your own vinyl, providing you are happy to drill some holes in it.

I'm enjoying having something scratchable again, it's been a year since I got rid of my Citronic superOEM decks.

Although I have some affection for real turntables and tonearms, I think this Rane Twelve is spot on for what I need. I like the fact it only has the strip search / cue points as extras. Simple, solid and has worked with no issues so far. I really need to learn a bit more about Serato and get my digital library sorted.

Big sub bass playing havoc with my DVS signal to the point where the track starts jumping around. Actually happened mid mix at CSG this year, dropped a particularly low end sub heavy track and it skipped my DVS playing track forward in the middle of a mix. It was on PDX tho, poorest isolated table going. In that situation I jus rolled a bit of bass off and all was good. But had few occasions recently where large temporary PA instals were set up close to the booth which resulted in switching to internal mixing.

The worst scenario Ive had was when playing with the brass band last year. Jus before the show started I went up to my decks, saw my mixer had moved, thought someone had been fucking with my gear, I moved the mixer back in to place... and then noticed it slowly vibrating across the the table again. I then discovered that part of stage I was set up on was directly above a huge understage sub.

I got about half thru the gig before I had to stop using DVS and switch to real wax, as I was jus doing scratches over the band all was good as Im sure if didnt have the bass rolled right down for cutting there would of been epic feedback.

Tech like the phase and 12 should eliminate the above worst case scenarios, plus other pitfalls of non ideal DVS setups - dodgy headshell terminals for instance. The phase is especially appealing to me as you can still switch to real wax.

I wouldnt be surprised that a lot of my isolation woes would of been solved by not using a plastic hollow PDX. That said a lot of the dat brass gigs are on huge systems, so after what happened I now never do those gigs without taking a thick sheet of MDF and some sheets of foam incase of understage sub situations. Then theres the scenarios at festivals - temporary stages, enthusiastically jumping/dancing band mates.... the sooner phase drops the better!

Ah yes the old hollow stage thing... the first residency I had in a local pub, booth was on a floor above the cellar, every time a heavy footed high heeled wearing lady would stomp past it would make my shitty Geminis skip.

That said at least in that era many bigger venues catered for playing vinyl - booths with concrete slabs or the table suspended via chains from the ceiling. Never see either nowadays

Guest rasteri

I take it the fault isn't something you'd ever encounter in normal use? Like, you'd pretty much have to be deliberately trying to do it?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to these new systems, makes things easier but in the end scratching with

analog sounds the ultimate...On the meanwhile grab an Xacto blade and make a Tactile Scratch Control Record.