Pro X Fade as upfaders in Vestax 05/06?

Guest rasteri

It'll definitely work but you'll need to do some jiggery-pokery. If you're not handy with a soldering iron then I'd just stick to the original faders.

• Like 1

if it's that particularly good deal on ebay you'll need to set them lower into the mixer or file the stem down.

Those ones were from a lot sent to Stanton for one of their mixers and are now being sold off by liquidators, so they're a little different to the ones you'd buy for a vestax.

It's possible though, and reasonably cheap.

• Like 1

i got a pair for an old 05 and i just threw one in for the moment, but im going to set it lower using an extra washer or two inside and possibly a longer screw if necessary. it could make it more liable to get dusty internally with the extra spacing, but for the moment i don't care.

i'll let you know if this is sufficient. i just wasn't arsed filing the thing down.i imagine you'd need to take maybe 3mm off it or possibly more.

I actually bought 2 faders and they sent me 4 by accident.

• Like 1

Guest rasteri

I got a big pile of those cheap batch ProXs in exchange for some nanofader boards a while back. Is anyone else finding them real difficult to lube?

I did a blind comparison between Deoxit F5, F100 and D100. By far and away the best-feeling lube was D100, which doesn't make sense as it's not even supposed to be a permenant lubrication, it's really a contact cleaner. Every other fader I have works best with F5 or F100. I'm wondering if they had manufacturing issues and the clearance between the bearings is far too small for proper lubes to work. I'm not the only one who's noticed this either.

So yeah if you're having issues try cleaning them out with isopropyl alcohol and re-lubing with d100, seems to work wonders.

I guess you can beat $19/fader after all.

Savwar...is it still tall with a EB cap?

yes

still worth the price i reckon

I got a big pile of those cheap batch ProXs in exchange for some nanofader boards a while back. Is anyone else finding them real difficult to lube?

I did a blind comparison between Deoxit F5, F100 and D100. By far and away the best-feeling lube was D100, which doesn't make sense as it's not even supposed to be a permenant lubrication, it's really a contact cleaner. Every other fader I have works best with F5 or F100. I'm wondering if they had manufacturing issues and the clearance between the bearings is far too small for proper lubes to work. I'm not the only one who's noticed this either.

So yeah if you're having issues try cleaning them out with isopropyl alcohol and re-lubing with d100, seems to work wonders.

haven't cleaned or lubed yet but cheers for the tips

The one you sent me was reasonably free moving when dry, I gave it a dash of D100 (it's all I have) on the rails and it seemed to damp the movement a little, so I got pissed off with it and put a more liberal dousing on the rails and contacts and it's now loosened up nicely. PXFs never get super loose like some faders, but mine's good for what it is now and I know wearing it in should continue to help too. I took a hacksaw to the overly long stem which sorted that out. The only odd thing with mine, unlike every other Vestax/PXF combo I've tried, is it doesn't have a sharp cut. If you move it as slowly as possible over the cut-in point, you actually get a minute fade. It did the same thing in two different mixers, which still cut as they should with a PCV, so I guess it's definitely the fader. It's still fine to use though, you get a slightly softer cutting sound but not in a way that bothers me.

Guest rasteri

Probably the easiest way is to de-solder the old PCV fader from its little circuit board, then solder wires from the PROX to that circuit board (the ProX won't fit on the circuit board directly, unfortunately).

Here are the pinouts of the PCV and ProX for comparison, just match up the names :

Remember to insulate the circuit board using tape or a plastic bag or something since it'll be loose in the case. Maybe you could make a nice neat job of it by attaching the circuit board to the side of the ProX using double-sided tape or something.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I finally filed down the post and have it all soldered...but when I tried out a Pro X Fade as crossfader in my 06, it cuts in the middle of the throw, not the sides. I have it soldered to the "official" loom according to the diagram here - http://proxfade.co.uk/shop/?product=original-pxf-wire-loom

What did I do wrong? Thanks for your help!

The loom is not correct for vestax 05 or 06, I have fitted it, works fine. Have the diagram at home somewhere, hit me up on fb and I can send it to you.