Scratching on DVs (namely Serato)

So, I think it was the first SSS we had in Bristol and we were all round Pete's house having a scratch and a smoke (and watching showgirls??)... Any way, I remember thinking how sweet it was scratching on his Serato. It sounded exactly the same as scratching with a normal record, except it didn't even skip, so in a way it was even better!

Any who, at home on my TTM57 it never felt the same, so I guessed it must have been the interface. I think he had a Rane 62 which is obviously an updated version.

Any way, at the club I play at they got an SL4 and the scratching still doesn't feel / sound the same. It feels and sounds a bit digital where as Pete's set up didn't.

What do you think it is? I'm using WAV (obviously) and have set all the settings to have the lowest latency etc... May be I've just got a shite computer?

Any ideas? Ya'll know what I'm talking about?

Make sure in the calibration you don't set it too far to either side. Too far to the right (I think, maybe left) will make it so as soon as you do a drag, the signal cuts out and the sample stops moving. Too far the other way causes the sample to slowly creep around and move even if you're holding it still because it's too sensitive and picking up room vibrations.

New SL boxes I believe have the same guts as the 62 so should perform similarly.

• Like 1

Interesting. I had an old traktor scratch duo audio 4 set up but switched to a z2 recently. The z2 performs far better, but I use MP3 mostly. What's the difference with wav files? I've read this somewhere before about this but never really felt the need to explore it?

Interesting. I had an old traktor scratch duo audio 4 set up but switched to a z2 recently. The z2 performs far better, but I use MP3 mostly. What's the difference with wav files I assume the sound quality is better? I've read this somewhere before about this but never really felt the need to explore it

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

More importantly, I'd like to confirm that we did indeed have Showgirls on, partly as i quite rightly insisted that it's unintentionally super funny

Pitch n time only hurts scratching, that's def not the problem.

pretty sure sdj pitch n time didn't exist at the time of the first Bristol SSS anyway dude

So if it was SSL and we are compare it with actual SDJ with pitch'n time we could find some differences... Knowing the setups (hard/soft) to find what was making it "best".

Sad to know Pitch' time fucks scratching. Thanks for point it to me, I will share the knowledge next time ;)

Any way, at the club I play at they got an SL4 and the scratching still doesn't feel / sound the same. It feels and sounds a bit digital where as Pete's set up didn't.

What do you think it is? I'm using WAV (obviously) and have set all the settings to have the lowest latency etc... May be I've just got a shite computer?

Also some difference in ADDA converters between SL1/62 and the rest of the interfaces?

Pitch n time only hurts scratching, that's def not the problem.

pretty sure sdj pitch n time didn't exist at the time of the first Bristol SSS anyway dude

So if it was SSL and we are compare it with actual SDJ with pitch'n time we could find some differences... Knowing the setups (hard/soft) to find what was making it "best".

Sad to know Pitch' time fucks scratching. Thanks for point it to me, I will share the knowledge next time ;)

Yea it's REALLY good at keeping music in key and time stretching, but it tries to also correct the pitch for your scratching aggressively, so you get weird pops and glitches a fair bit. You wouldn't notice for cuts during mixes, but you would for hardcore cutting or routines.

• Like 1

First of all, try activate Vinyl Distortion by hitting ALT+SHIFT+click on the outer circle of the spinning wheel on your scratching deck.

Next, as Vekked said, check your Threshold settings by going into the SETUP and then in the calibration screen. Your threshold for home scratching should be on the far left.

Also, get a fresh pair of records & needles. Serato (both SSL +SDJ) is notorious for not going well along with average record wear.

Last but not least, you will need the best possible laptop you can get. The stronger the machine, the better the scratch.

• Like 1

Guest Symatic

make sure you calibrate properly and regulary - the needles and record wear all change the sound of the time code as they wear so that will affect the sound. a good fast mac is the highest recommended computer to use for serato. but i don't like scratching on serato at the best of times :)

First of all, try activate Vinyl Distortion by hitting ALT+SHIFT+click on the outer circle of the spinning wheel on your scratching deck.

Next, as Vekked said, check your Threshold settings by going into the SETUP and then in the calibration screen. Your threshold for home scratching should be on the far left.

Also, get a fresh pair of records & needles. Serato (both SSL +SDJ) is notorious for not going well along with average record wear.

Last but not least, you will need the best possible laptop you can get. The stronger the machine, the better the scratch.

Vinyl distortion? Never heard of that...

I've always been strictly on vinyl, but I've used it at friend's houses with widely varying results. It used to be that I'd cut on their setup and there was enough lag to mess with me. I could do slower chirps but stuff like one-click flares and twiddles were just not coming off right because of the lag. The explanation I always got (and this is experienced, very dope scratchers) was that your brain adjusts for the lag and it takes a second to compensate when switching from vinyl to DVS. But as time has gone on they've said it turns out the set-up is really important. Last time I cut on DVS, my friend had gone to a Mac and it was pretty damn close to the real thing for me. Any lag was very minimal and I was like "okay, I can deal with this!". That being said, he still typically uses real vinyl for cutting.

I can never get used to the feel and weight of DVS vinyl, I know there isn't much difference compared to most scratch records but if o was blindfolded I would still notice the difference.

Is this just me?

There's variation in them. All vinyl has different feels even, and I notice DVS vinyl feels different even depending on the colour you get, or special editions or whatever... For ages I stuck with transparent purple cuz they felt best to me, but they stopped doing them, now I've been all over the map looking for them. I think the green Hifana ones that were vinyl on 1 side, Serato on the other were really light too... you just gotta try different pressings and see.