DMC Online 2016

Vekked

gah!!! watched a couple and couldn't continue. There are some names I remember and even a routine exactly the same as last year. But as with previous years only about a quarter of the entrants are decent. But who am I to talk, I'm currently having problems putting 2mins of scratching down cleanly. What more if it was a full 2min DMC routine?

Are you done with competing now, Vekked?

I thiiink so. The only way I defend is if I happen to come up with 6 mins of great material by DMC but I'm not preparing at this point (which I have been the previous 4 years). There's a slightly bigger chance that I do teams with Brace again, but maybe not this year because he's in USA and my year is looking more and more full by the week.

Do you still have to get voted into the top 10 by the public in order to get through to be judged by people who actually know what their watching?

yuppers

Damn. Forget about the scratching, I'd have to work on my weak-ass social media game for two years to even get a look-in. Haha

• Like 2

Yea tbh the public vote isn't ideal but the alternative was judges not watching all the sets anyways sooo it's better than that unless they make a budget to give judges incentive to put in hours and hours judging dozens of sets.

And in reality I don't think the battle is big enough to where the public vote is broken though, like I don't think any round in previous years has had the clear skill winner not make top 10 public vote, there's still some organic pull for good sets to get shared enough to make top 10 votes.

That's good to know. I haven't really followed the full competition in recent years, just watched the winners & runners up in the final really - not that I remember any of their names :p

Yeah me neither, but I do seem to remember that there was this Canadian dude last year who was pretty good ;)

Edited by jeljms

• 2 weeks later...

I think this guy was unlucky not to get in the top ten in round one:

http://www.dmcdjonline.com/view/asc69JHTxc/

Not super-tech but he's probably the only contestant in either round that can do those half-time swing juggles and make them actually swing. A lot of people have patterns down but the timing is jerky or hurried.

Yea one of the cleanest juggles in the first round, but still a lot to be desired from a routine perspective.

As for him being unlucky for being one of the best jugglers in the round, I look at it like this... (and I would be more politically correct here, but this guy's a dick head so I'll just say it like it is), I don't see it as bad luck when at the root of it, it's a 4 out of 10 routine using strictly pre-1998 patterns with a completely arbitrary track... he didn't do anything to flip that beat specifically, he could use ANY hip-hop beat and the juggle would be identical and the only thing that would make it "better" or "worse" is how much someone likes the beat he used subjectively. Him choosing a track with vocals does absolutely nothing except take away from the routine since he's not making them make say anything relevant in the juggle so it just makes it sound even more repetitive than it would otherwise.

Is it wack? No. Would I have put him in my own top 10? Probably. But in the end, it's still not a good routine and wouldn't place at any DMC regional but the worst, so it barely matters.

Vekked grade: D-. Not wack, but not not bad.

• Like 1

Guest broke

I think this guy was unlucky not to get in the top ten in round one:

http://www.dmcdjonline.com/view/asc69JHTxc/

Not super-tech but he's probably the only contestant in either round that can do those half-time swing juggles and make them actually swing. A lot of people have patterns down but the timing is jerky or hurried.

Plus he did it one-take, live, didn't he?

I agree, he was slept on. Sure, it wasn't going to win the round... but it was better than some of the ones that did make top ten.