Fretless Fader

Guest rasteri

Nice. I've always been a big fan of John. I'm glad he's pulling this off. I was starting to wonder after a while

Yeah this has been something like a decade in the making, right?

Guest Symatic

ohhhhhh i totally missed the fact it wasnt IN the mixer like before. thats sick.

I do feel sorry for all those dope 06's that have been sacrificed for this :)

to be honest, except for woodys, because everything he does is amazing, none of these videos have impressed me, and i hope i don't start seeing a million shit videos like all the rest so far.

Stupid cover versions that could be done better on a stylophone.

or like a poor version of a talkbox setting on a shitty keyboard.

in most of them, manipulation of the record is completely redundant.

the John beez one's are ok i guess...

• Like 1

yup, expect a barrage of bedroom happy birthday-esque covers to come soon. owning one of these isn't going to make you instantly musical unless you already have a good grasp of melody playing on another instrument.

however, this is sick that this is coming out. I'm very tempted to invest in it but I honestly don't know if I'd be using it enough to warrant buying a pdx and the fader when I can produce sounds for a routine/track and set them to cue points and achieve a similar sound but that approach is of course obviously limited by the restrictions of having to prepare notes and not being jam friendly in any key like with the fretless fader.

• Like 2

Guest rasteri

I was talking to Woody last year and he bemoaned the fact that most C1 users essentially use it as a shitty mono synth. I reckon once he gets a hold of an FF he'll do some awesome stuff with it though, it frees up the record hand.

I have a few ideas up my sleeve that I hope to demonstrate once I get my prototype through :)

• Like 1

I'm not all that big a fan of using it like a glorified keyboard either but I also think people need to realize you can do so much more than that. I like what Teeko and John do, but that's not how I would use it and it's not usually how I use my C1. I mainly use the C1 to flip much shorter samples. This is a lot closer to the mark for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWe412hSLiU

Or, listen to all the pitch shifting they do on scratch nerds 2.

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

That's always been the issue for me - trying to make a turntable into another instrument (i.e. a monosynth) is an utterly pointless excercise. What a turntable can do is something NO other instrument can do, so I want people to build on THAT. If the fretless fader helps that, I'm 100% for it; if people use it to make bad versions of other instruments: fuck it in its fretless face.

• Like 3

Guest rasteri

however, this is sick that this is coming out. I'm very tempted to invest in it but I honestly don't know if I'd be using it enough to warrant buying a pdx and the fader when I can produce sounds for a routine/track and set them to cue points and achieve a similar sound but that approach is of course obviously limited by the restrictions of having to prepare notes and not being jam friendly in any key like with the fretless fader.

I should have mentioned, you can map the fretless fader to the pitch shift control in traktor (and probably serato too) so you can use this with any turntable. For some uses that might be preferable to a MIDI turntable as it keeps a constant tempo, perhaps you could even beat juggle with this thing :)

I expect you could also wire it up to something like a whammy pedal if you didn't want to use a computer.

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

Obviously my sentiments on the kind of music he's working with (and therefore what he's using the fader for) are well known, but FUCK ME - that video makes me want to stab the ears of innocent creatures!

Sorry. I know it's what some people dig. I should perhaps keep quiet about this kind of shit, but that's not likely is it?

Seriously, it sounds like somebody thought "you know, I bet we could make an even worse version of the horrific ascending sine wave on JJ+FP's "Summertime" if we really tried"

Precise musical tonality is definitely the great unexplored territory in scratching, it's just got to be done right. As ever, Woody's use of this really does it for me.

The other big thing for me is switching from whiney tones to sounds with an attack left intact. The day Paul mapped a midi keyboard to not only change his PDX's platter speed, but retrigger the sound changed everything for me. Instantly so much more musical.

Guest petesasqwax

Lol - sorry gents... I fucking hate that shit. Surely this is no surprise. When GZA claimed to be "the dirtiest thing in sight" he was acknowledging the intangible nature of my production preferences. If he hadn't been directly referencing that, he would've just left it at "I'm the dirtiest thing."

It's hard to imagine anything more clean than a completely untouched pure sine wave - and a major scale upper register one at that!