The man who made 'the worst video game in history'

Frost

An interesting read I thought:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35560458

"It's awesome to be credited with single-handedly bringing down a billion-dollar industry with eight kilobytes of code."

What's the worst game you've ever played? Or worst gaming experience? For me it would have to be the disappointment of SimCity (2013), so limited, broken and always online. It was doomed!

I saw that documentary about that game where they find the landfill in the desert with all the copies that were just buried. From what I've read/seen, the game isn't any worse than a lot of Atari games. Atari (unlike Nintendo) was completely open license for games which meant a ton of them completely sucked (basically Apple store vs Android marketplace to put it in modern terms). Apparently that guy and ET got the short stick and were just scapegoats. I have an Atari and would like to play ET for myself to see...now that I'm thinking about it, I guess I could just play the rom. Duh.

The worst game I ever played was Acclaim's Turok: Evolution. It was horrible for a number of reasons. First, Turok, Turok 2 and Rage Wars were all awesome so you fully knew how good the game should have been. Second, the game play on xbox was garbage but on PS2 it was choppy as fuck and literally froze in the flying stages making it impossible to even complete. That's right--you couldn't even play the game all the way through it was so bad. Third, had more to do with the trickle down from such a shit release. Acclaim was based in austin. I worked in the same building as them and was pretty jealous of them. I wanted to work at a cool place like that even if it was as a betatester. Evolution was so bad they went bankrupt. I was there the day they got locked out of the office. Not only did it obliterate Acclaim but it also took down Valiant Comics whom they had bought in order to use the Turok name. Valiant was an amazing comicbook company with excellent stories and characters. Turok Evolution was so bad it LITERALLY bankrupted two companies. ET was so bad it arguably it killed Atari... but the reality is Atari killed Atari.

• Like 2

Guest petesasqwax

The most disappointing game was probably Fable. Not that it was shit, just that Molyneux talked it up to be this amazing thing that ultimately he was entirely incapable of pulling off.

I saw that documentary about that game where they find the landfill in the desert with all the copies that were just buried. From what I've read/seen, the game isn't any worse than a lot of Atari games. Atari (unlike Nintendo) was completely open license for games which meant a ton of them completely sucked (basically Apple store vs Android marketplace to put it in modern terms). Apparently that guy and ET got the short stick and were just scapegoats... ET was so bad it arguably it killed Atari... but the reality is Atari killed Atari.

I watched the same documentary a couple of months back and yeah, that's the impression I got. ET was terrible, but then I bet if you played a few other Atari titles from around the same time you'd find they were just as bad.

Airwolf on the Amstrad CPC 464 was the worst game I ever played. Alan Sugar, I want a week of my childhood back.

Ah yes, the film where Chuck Norris uses stolen military technology to peep at a naked woman doing aerobics...

• Like 1

Aa a story flip, I must say that the greatest ever difference between a series of games must be Street Fighter 1 vs 2. I mean, I tried once to play the first one and I was amazed from how bad it was and why the hell did the owners believed that a follow up should've been released...

Big Rigs: Over The Road Racing is up there with the worst games ever made.

They didn't program the AI for the computer controlled vehicles, so when the race starts, they don't move. They just sit there, so you're the only vehicle that actually moves.

The game has no sound effects.

There's no collision detection, so you can drive straight through telegraph poles, street lights and buildings and it has no effect on your vehicle.

If you drive your truck in reverse, it will accelerate indefinitely until it's moving so fast that you can't even see what's going on.

You can drive anywhere, including up mountains and off the map entirely, and none of it has any effect on your vehicle's speed.

There are 5 tracks, but selecting one of them just quits the game.

Sometimes the game can't detect if you crossing the finish line is the end of the race or not, so sometimes you'll start the race, cross the line that's just in front of you, and it'll say that the race is over and you won.

When you win a race, "YOU'RE WINNER!" appears on the screen.

• Like 2

Anyone else play Twin World? I fucking loved that game as a kid, not met anyone (other than my brother) who knows it

Yeaaaah boyeeeee! I remember it being really fucking hard. Nice soundtrack. Ah, another poor kid whose parents forced an 'educational' Acorn computer on hey.

• Like 2

Guest Symatic

Aa a story flip, I must say that the greatest ever difference between a series of games must be Street Fighter 1 vs 2. I mean, I tried once to play the first one and I was amazed from how bad it was and why the hell did the owners believed that a follow up should've been released...

jimmy penguin was telling me that the whole combo thing in street fighter came about because of some sort of glitch in street fighter1 that gave one of the characters (i think ryu) and advantage because you could time it just right and trick it into doing 2 consecutive moves really quickly after each other, and they took it from there....

wiki: The combo notion was introduced to competitive fighting games with Street Fighter II by Capcom, when skilled players learned that they could combine several attacks that left no time for the computer player to recover if they timed them correctly.[3][4][5] Combos were a design accident; lead producer Noritaka Funamizu noticed that extra strikes were possible during a bug check on the car-smashing bonus stage. He thought that the timing required was too difficult to make it a useful game feature, but left it in as a hidden one.[6]

Soccer League on the Nokia 1200 was pretty terrible, too. You start in one of four groups with four teams in each group. Sadly, two of the 16 teams don't exist (they have no name at least) and when you face them their players move at lightning-speed, leaving you no chance to ever catch the ball. Often times, there is just a goal without you seeing anything. So if you want to win the tournament, you always hope that the random number generator kicks out those two teams before you have to play against them. Probably not the worst game ever, but considering the manageable size of this game it's pretty messed up. :d

I just remembered another horrible one. 1991's Time Teaveler which was a wild west side scrolling (but without scrolling) shooter and billed as the world's first holographic videogame. Basically a bad guy would appear, you would hit shoot and then count to 5 before the character reacted. Then you discovered you had been shot and the the game was over. It sucked horribly. Wiki said it was a financial success but I don't know how. The Sega CD port received a 0/10 rating lol.

http://allincolorforaquarter.blogspot.com/2014/03/hologram-time-traveler-revolution-that.html?m=1

Anyone else play Twin World? I fucking loved that game as a kid, not met anyone (other than my brother) who knows it

Yeaaaah boyeeeee! I remember it being really fucking hard. Nice soundtrack. Ah, another poor kid whose parents forced an 'educational' Acorn computer on hey.

Yeah man! Was super hard game.

I actually remember playing loads of decent games on the archimedes, guess they weren't all specific to that comp though.

Sphere's of Chaos, Chuck Rock, Orion, lemmings, xenon, Pon, Pac-mania (lol), fireball

lemmings

I loved that game. Tried to play the newer ones and don't have the patience for it anymore tho.

Plotwings sucked. Shit was impossible.