BEAT BATTLE: SAMPLE CHALLENGE - Symatic's Request

DJ Rock Well

If you look at this process of choosing records for sampling as a weird kind of DJing, it's logical that eventually I was gonna start getting requests :p

In truth I was record willy waving on Facebook and it's probably all my own fault. I'd just picked this record up cos I liked the film and it was cheap and too tempting to leave, but I didn't really know what was on it. I was going to use a different record this month, but I gave a quick listen and despite some hideous bits I reckon it'll do the job. Apologies for the crackle throughout - I copped the record for a fiver and you get you pay for.

Here's the wav

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7qo621ybgw81y88/police%20story%20Samples.zip?dl=0

As usual do what ever you like with it, as long as you use at least one sample from the wavs provided.

Post your entries in the comments of this thread.

Deadline is Tuesday the 16th February

• Like 2

Guest Symatic

If you look at this process of choosing records for sampling as a weird kind of DJing, it's logical that eventually I was gonna start getting requests :p

yeah but how chuffed would you be if someone came up and requested a jackie chan soundtrack when you were djing. if i owned it i'd keep this record on me at all times for just such an occasion.....

• Like 2

Guest Symatic

i spent a long time making mad snares and kicks last night out of the few open samples there are on the record..... good learning experience :)

I did notice a couple of weedy open drum sounds when I was recording it and wondered about their possibilities. It never ceases to amaze me how enough processing on unlikely sounds can 'synthesise' some booming drums.

word - that's my favourite part of beatmaking.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a bit quiet round here and I failed the last couple of battles to get something done, so yesterday forced myself to come up with something. I only had yesterday afternoon, so I did what could in the time.

Short and simple, it's obviously not mixed or mastered and I've only ever heard it in headphones... so go easy on me ;) With limited time, I resorted to my chopped samples boom bap safety zone. All samples from the LP (clicks and all!) except the drums I got off a different record. I made some drums from the Police Story LP, but these ones suited it better in the end.

• Like 1

It sounds cool on my phone,so thats a good start ! ill pop it on the stereo when I get back home later and have a better listen but hey Rock thats not bad seeing as you only had a couple of hours to do it in. I liked the crispy sound of the drums best of all