Numark PT01 vs Vestax Handy Trax

kebzer

Guest rasteri

I would maybe speak to the dude at 1200plates about getting a custom box made, or perhaps search through component catalogues (farnell, rswww, etc) and look for something suitable.

Guest petesasqwax

Ok, done that.

I'm just thinking this idea through:

What I would personally like is to have a box which was literally just 1 channel - Audio In/Audio Out with a crossfader. Ideally phono in/out, but it makes no difference as that can be handled with different wires.

I would ideally want it to be done without modifying a PT-01 etc. that would be even better as it would stop it from relying upon being connected to a particular turntable.

I guess it would obviously need power from somewhere (would a 9v battery suffice?) and I understand the potential of it requiring a phono-pre-amp, but there are plenty of cheap, small options for those.

I'm trying to think as simply as possible, but the temptation to add on extra "wants" is immense... :|

Guest rasteri

Pete you just described my next project. I actually started working on it before the pt-01 stuff got me distracted. It's basically like a BP faderbox but the size of a raiden fader (actually a bit bigger).

It'll have RCA ins with switchable phono pre-amp, AUX in and Master Out on 3.5mm jacks, and a power supply that takes a micro-usb plug (so you can power it pretty much anywhere, including from some phones). This will be in a box that's around 4" long by 1.5" wide and 1" tall.

I'm in the middle of designing a fader to go with it because the mini-innofader is too expensive and overkill for scratch DJs. Something like a focus fader (i.e. an IR optical switch fader) but in a short-body case. I've ordered a bunch of different types of mini faders to see if any of them will be suitable to use as a base.

But yeah, knowing me I won't get round to it for a year or so :p

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

Ah, man, that's perfect!!

Powering it with a micro-usb is such an excellent idea, too.

If you need enclosures for them I'm sure Ric would be 100% down to help out there.

But yeah, knowing me I won't get round to it for a year or so :p

If there's anything I can do to help expedite the process, let me know :d

I think I know the answer to all the woes of the portable setup.

Mind you I did buy a few fader cribs from 1200plates for gifts for my homies.

But, maybe 1200plates can make a plate for the pt-01... And have a little fold out section that would crib the portable fader. I don't know how you would be able to make it so that it doesn't impede from the lid closing properly. But what I'm invisioning is a 1200 plate with a crib hybrid. Maybe you can even create a new lid for the pt that doubles as a crib?

I'm in the middle of designing a fader to go with it because the mini-innofader is too expensive and overkill for scratch DJs.

rasteri, why do you think the mini Innofader is an overkill? I guess there could be quite a few people interested in getting a portable custom version of the mini Innofader, because of the durability (in number of passes).

Guest rasteri

rasteri, why do you think the mini Innofader is an overkill? I guess there could be quite a few people interested in getting a portable custom version of the mini Innofader, because of the durability (in number of passes).

I just mean overkill in the sense that it's analogue - for scratching, a digital on/off switch is sufficient. Innofaders are just modified A-Plus faders with different circuit boards, I'm using the same approach. If we start with a high-quality fader we'll get similar durability to the innofader, perhaps even better because the circuit will be simpler.

• Like 1

I just mean overkill in the sense that it's analogue - for scratching, a digital on/off switch is sufficient. Innofaders are just modified A-Plus faders with different circuit boards, I'm using the same approach. If we start with a high-quality fader we'll get similar durability to the innofader, perhaps even better because the circuit will be simpler.

Awww yis! I like this approach of yours!

On the Handy Trax , has anyone replaced the volume fader with a fader that cuts? Is that even possible? I don't know shit about audio wiring. It seems with everyone making fader housings there would be a market for a mini Inno fader drop in or at least a mod to make it work. Off the top, would losing the volume control be an issue?