BEAT BATTLE: SAMPLE CHALLENGE - Hot Librarian Special

DJ Rock Well

Based on what worked with the last one, I thought I'd stick to a whole LP as source material so your limited but not too much. I've also again gone for something that I think is rich with samples but nothing too obvious. Hopefully, apart from being right for the battle these rips might also be a good resource for people to revisit another time.

So in digging nerd tradition, I've chosen a library record. In this case "Electric Bird" from '74 on the classic De Wolfe label. Like a lot of library stuff, it's content ranges from weird but would make a great sample, to horrible unlistenable shit (or as De Wolfe refer to it "Modern group pieces with a variety of keyboard sounds").

Check out how miffed my cat is at being used as a record prop!

Here's the whole record.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ypb5lpbvw980f12/electricbird%20Samples.zip?dl=0

As before, the only rule is that you have to sample at least one sound from the audiofiles provided above. You can add any other sounds you like. The final result can be any style or genre you like (definitely doesn't have to be a scratch beat or anything, but if that's what you want to do it's fine too, of course).

Post up your entries in the comments of this thread.

Deadline for entries will be Tuesday 10th November. After that we'll have public vote for a week.

In keeping with the library theme, pictures of hot librarians for the track's picture will undoubtably sway the voters come judgment time.

• Like 1

Awesome!

I'm grabbing it right now. I'm determined to make it better than last time (which shouldn't be very difficult).

Thanks!

P.D: I think I can provide some obscure local LPs that have probably passed under the radar in most of the world for future challenges.

• Like 1

I'm very much looking forward to hearing what you do with it Phology. I really like what I've heard of your beats so far.

If I'm allowed, I might throw one in the ring myself for this one... I know I selected the record and that possibly makes it not strictly cricket, but TBH with this and the last one I made sure I chose records I hadn't ever used before and had no specific ideas for. Also, I went for LPs with many possibilities rather than ones I usually head straight for.

Cool. I just wanted to make it clear that I'm not specifically choosing samples that suit me or ones I've already made a beat with, etc. Also, vote for fun aside, I see this as being more about joining in and learning stuff than anything else. If I'd had the time during the JC Battle and hadn't wasted it learning to make cod reggae, I might have had something for that too.

As I've said before, if anyone else has one they wanna do, just let me know. I've got a few other ideas for future challenges, but there's plenty of time and alkways room for others too.

I'm very much looking forward to hearing what you do with it Phology. I really like what I've heard of your beats so far.

If I'm allowed, I might throw one in the ring myself for this one... I know I selected the record and that possibly makes it not strictly cricket, but TBH with this and the last one I made sure I chose records I hadn't ever used before and had no specific ideas for. Also, I went for LPs with many possibilities rather than ones I usually head straight for.

thanks man!! these battles are great, i haven't been this proactive in ages

and yeah totally get involved yourself, I can't see why you shouldn't be allowed.

• Like 1

Here's my track! If someone can sort embedding the player properly? Cheers

This is the 2nd or 3rd version of a few ideas I had going, this one stood out for me. I like it, I've been practising cuts over it all evening.

The only extra sounds I added was an extra kick drum and the vocal sample at the beginning.

Hope you guys dig it!

• Like 1

With all that stuff to choose from, I should have made something good. Instead I made something weird. I was sort of thinking of sort of a dancehall rhythm but went off at a tangent.

Only two bits came of the library record in the end - the twinkly melody sound and the heavily filtered wah type sound. The congas came of a Ry Cooder album, the phased hi hats are from the last battle's JC record, drum hits are made from my library taken from records I forget now and the bass sound is a detuned tom from a DMX (from Harry Love's 'Bang On A Drum' drum machine library).

Weird in a good way for sure Rockwell! :)

I guess Bang on a Drum is a digital collection? I checked it out as having some Harry Love drums sounded awesome but it sold out after the first 250 copies which I thought was quite weird if it was a sample pack.

• Like 1

Yeah, 'bang on a drum' was Harry Love's own collection of samples of one shot hits from all the classic drum machine new he's owned or had access to over the years (basically every one you can think of). They've all just been recorded straight out the machines through a decent analogue desk and that's it.

He sold off 250 copies of this folder as a limited sound pack. At first it was too expensive and I'm not that into drum machines so I ignored it... but then he sold off the last handful of copies for £15 a pop and I thought it was worth a punt. They sound a little bit less modernised than a lot of these sounds do in other sound libraries and although you don't have every feature of each machine, you have a nice reference library. Works for me.

With all that stuff to choose from, I should have made something good. Instead I made something weird. I was sort of thinking of sort of a dancehall rhythm but went off at a tangent.

Only two bits came of the library record in the end - the twinkly melody sound and the heavily filtered wah type sound. The congas came of a Ry Cooder album, the phased hi hats are from the last battle's JC record, drum hits are made from my library taken from records I forget now and the bass sound is a detuned tom from a DMX (from Harry Love's 'Bang On A Drum' drum machine library).

dope tune Rock! i like the hi-hat rhythm, i was gonna use that same 'twinkly' organ sample.