Foot pedal with ttm56?

djstig

Hi guys, Im not sure if this is in the correct section of the site so I apologize if not.

Im interested in Any information that you can send me about the foot pedal sampling that I've seen Radar perform. Layering beats and scratches to create music on the fly.

Firstly I don't know which box to buy, and secondly are they compatible with Any mixer??

I might be making myself sound like a dumb arse. :/

I've seen clips of people using a guitar pedal for a wah effect but for some reason they said it was only possible with the vestax mixer they were using. I think it was the 07 isp model.

Thanks in advance.

Guest petesasqwax

Hey man.

I think Radar used/uses a Boss Loopstation (not sure which model they're on now, but it'll be an RC something). I've never used one, but I'm sure plenty of folk on here have and will be able to give more/better info.

Firstly the reason you could only use certain pedals with the 07ISP is because it had an effects loop built in where a lot of other Vestax mixers back then, did not. Your 56 has one and a good one at that (FlexFX). However, that is fine for all effects pedals except a loop pedal - because of the way they work, you'll get a horrible screaming feedback loop when you try and record your loop if you just plug it into your send and return. The simplest way round this is to plug your loop pedal out of you 56's master output and then into a second mixer (or very cheap secondhand mini mixing desk in my case). Saying that, I did read that you can connect a loop pedal to the 56 alone by sending the sound out of your main FX loop send and then returning it into the sperate Flex FX loop you have o the mic channel... this would of course be in mono then and I've never tried it myself, but I have read other people's reports that it work well.

For a pedal itself, there are many choices. The main companies are Boss and Digitech and what you get all depends on how much you want to spend and how fancy you want it to be. Also, older pedals will do a lot less than newer ones.

I've got one of these, because it's cheap, stereo, has good sound, can save 400 loops (with mini SD card) and connects to your computer via USB for transfer in both directions.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/digitech_jamman_solo_xt.htm

A lot of delay pedals will also loop as it's roughly the same technology, but be warned, some don't sound as clean as a dedicated loop pedal.

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

that's the absolute shit! I've always had vague aspirations of doing loop pedal stuff, but I have accepted long ago that I'll probably never get around to it. If I do, though, I reckon I'll have myself one of those bad boys!

That's a bit rubbish if I can't go straight into flex effects just because I've got a 56 rather than a 57.

I've no problem with having to buy a small mixing desk, that would be Cool for getting a few people together and having a jam.

Im sure it would get sorted either way.

Cheers guys. :)

Guest Symatic

yeah i use a ttm56 with a loop pedal on the flexfx send/return - no howling or anything..... is yours fucked rockwell?

the 56 has a dry-wet fader, this needs to be set all the way across to wet.

I use a line6 DL4 but i'd recommend the Boss pedals because they don't distort as easily.

• Like 1

Guest Symatic

this was all done on ttm56 and Line 6 DL4.

CSG crew: this is what I was GONNNA do for CSGBBQ, but it sounded shit when I performed in the pub in bristol so i decided to ditch it. I got it way tighter than in this recording though..... this was early days

• Like 2

Interesting!

TBH my knowledge about sending loop pedals through the 56 is all based on other completely different mixer's FX loops where I definitely couldn't use them that way. I heard that you could with the 56 once before but when I followed a link it was all about using the mic loop as well.

I know what I'm doing when I get home now!

I've been using looper pedals throught the EFX loop on my TTM-56 for years with no problems. I started with an RC-20xl and then got the RC-50.

Rockwell, I wonder whether you've got a feedback issue or something.

But yo, like Symatic said, just set your wet/dry slider all the way to wet so that the looper pedal gets the full signal.

My suggestion is to get a pedal that has multiple loop tracks, otherwise you end up with a situation where all you can do is build, build, build on top of the last track. With the multi-track looper you can put drums on a track, bass on another track, lead on another, etc. and then independantly drop and add parts, which is a lot closer to how most real production works.

another one here that used the flex fx on the 56 and an RC20 with no problems, but it used to be a bit of a pain getting the levels right on the fly sometimes...

although i was pretty annoyed when the RC20XL came out as the remove last layer feature is pretty important.

Must sell my RC20 here, as someone will pay a (small) fortune for it.

let no loopstation thread go without a mention of this...

• Like 1

Clearly I didn't spell it out clearly in my last post...

I've never even tried to route my loop pedal through my 56 FX loop, it didn't work with an older mixer I had so I just assumed. My 56 isn't broken or anything, I just fell foul of my own assumptions!

savwar - my RC20XL had a remove last layer feature... or is that not what you're saying and assumption is fucking me again?

super interested in getting a loopstation .. to be honest i'm a bit confused about the differences between the Rc 20, 20XL and 30 , does anyone know ? Probably could do with a straight up recommendation from someone that has one of those units - i'm looking to do live looping and be able to save/recall the session (i guess 20 would be enough for a set and play space), it has to loop perfectly ( no weird gaps of silence in playback/record) have overdub / undo and would be nice to have 2 channels ...

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

Buy an rc 30. It has 2 channels. All the rc's do largely what you want, but the 30 has two track and effects, It has pre-recorded drums or high hats you can use a metronomes. The 30 has 99 tracks and i think 2hrs playback. I got one cheap from thomann, only £159 cos it was a display model.

20 only has 16 tracks i think, and the xl had either a ton more tracks or was it more time, it might have been just record time, Matt will confirm.

None of them have weird loops unless you fuck up the timing, it would be nuts for a looper pedal to do that seeing as that what you wouldn't want them to do most of all. Plus all newish ones have more than 20 tracks now as memory is super cheap.

I've had the 20xl, 50 and this 30 and they are all dope.

Anyway, short answer buy the 30. Do it! I order you!

Clearly I didn't spell it out clearly in my last post...

I've never even tried to route my loop pedal through my 56 FX loop, it didn't work with an older mixer I had so I just assumed. My 56 isn't broken or anything, I just fell foul of my own assumptions!

savwar - my RC20XL had a remove last layer feature... or is that not what you're saying and assumption is fucking me again?

i mean that i had the RC20 , then the XL came out, with the remove feature. so i was a little pissed.

• Like 1

super interested in getting a loopstation .. to be honest i'm a bit confused about the differences between the Rc 20, 20XL and 30 , does anyone know ? Probably could do with a straight up recommendation from someone that has one of those units - i'm looking to do live looping and be able to save/recall the session (i guess 20 would be enough for a set and play space), it has to loop perfectly ( no weird gaps of silence in playback/record) have overdub / undo and would be nice to have 2 channels ...

RC-20s only have 1 loop track and are in mono. All you can do is lay down sound upon sound upon sound. The RC20XL has an "undo" feature so if you mess up you can "undo" your last layer. You can also use "undo" like a work around for an extra track that you can bring in and out. So, imagine you lay down your cymbal, then kick snare, then bass. You can use "undo/redo" to bring the bass in and out.

The next one to come out was the RC-50. That has 3 independant stereo loop tracks that are all synced (unless you turn off sync). It's like having 3 RC-20XLs in one pedal. The problem with the 50 was that it had this loop feature that was designed to make sure your loop points are right. In all honestly, it's kind of hard to get your loops just right with these pedals. They're not as responsive as you'd hope so getting the loop point dialed in takes practice and the 50 tried to fix that by making the loop points standardized based on the tempo you set. The PROBLEM was that, on your first loop, after you finish the loop there was a second where the sound drops out before the loop comes back on. After that first loop, the loop plays seamlessly with no drop-out and all of your subsequent layers record just fine. Apparently there was no good way to completely fix this. So you have two options. First, you can pre-record your first loop with silence so that by the time you actually start recording loops the loop length is set and the dropout does not occur. The other way to get around it is when you are recording the first loop, you let your sample play for an extra second, this covers up the drop out so that you can't tell it happened.

Then came the RC-300 which was an updated version of the RC-50 that had effects and whatnot. I think this one still has 3 independant tracks. I don't know if they found a way to fix the dropout with this one or if they just abandoned the whole idea of trying to make the loop points easier to hit. I never messed with this one.

Then came the RC-30 and that's got 2 independant tracks and is much smaller than the 50 and the 300.

The RC 1 and 3 are stripped down, more like the original RC 20s but with smaller footprints. The RC 505 is the new joint and I don't know much about it.

They all allow you to pre-record and playback, and then add live on top, etc. I really could never get into the single loopers where you just build and build and build. That always got boring for me. Back when all I had was the RC-20XL I would do all types of shit to work around the fact that you couldn't drop out specific sounds at will. So, I'd turn off the pedal all together and break down parts of the song live, use both my turntables, bring the looper back in, etc. so that it was more dynamic. Very rarely was I happy with anything that started with one sound and then just built and built on top of it without breaking the song back down.

Guest Symatic

i started looping using free software called Mobius.

Its like a 8 track looper that can do all the things, and can run as a vst so i had it hooked up in ableton outputting all 8 tracks to seperate ableton channels which meant i could to pre and post effects, and build up and break down all those tracks.

Only tthing limiting it was the laptop sonit wasnt reliable enough to gig with.

Now theres a boss 505 that does all those things minus a few tracks im up for getting one but i think i would have to operate it on the table rather than the floor, and just have a foot switch to set the first loop up.... But thats a whole bag of gear before i even have records.... I'd love a mixer with these controls built in, and just a foot switch to activate the loops....

I had narrowed it down to a 505 too. I read that you can get a foot pedal to use with it so I think it's all good.

I need a decent laptop so I can incorporate ableton too, it's all money Innit.