I sold my whole record collection :(

Blak Randy

So I decided about 2 months ago to move to Berlin as it's really cheap and loads of fun. I have realised I'm not all about work and money n shit so I'm gonna just do some stuff I enjoy for a while. I also want a big life change so decided to sell all of my possessions (I think this is called a mid life crisis).

Anyway I sold all furniture, electrics, got rid of clothes, shoes, sentimental things, stuff I don't "need".

I was left with a set of decks, a TV (Which I'll store at my parents), 1 box of old birthday cards from my ex n stuff, 6 bags of clothes and my records.

I decided to take the plunge and the vinyl went last Monday. I found a cool guy who takes them, lists them individually and sells them like that. He takes 50%. You take 50%. Yesterday I got my first small payment for the first few he had sold.

Up until yesterday I was all good with this and kept it out of my mind, buuuuuut last night I had a dream about my vinyl and woke up in a sweat. WTF??

Has anyone else done this? How did you feel? Am I an idiot?

I didn't even keep my own records which I had made. Haha. I'm a fucking tard,

• Like 1

i sold all my equipment and stopped djing etc a while back, i think you know that.

anyway, yeh, i sold all the hardware but kept my records. i cant tell you why but its probably why i wont throw away my tapes and cds. i think i just like having them there to remind me of stuff. having said that, i store it all in my parents loft, so its not like keep them close.

what im trying to get at is, if you did it for a reason in the first place, chances are you're ok going forward.

its natural to have second thoughts but you're obvs onto something new now so why not sell things off to someone else who might really want them. i'm actually really happy Rockwell has my scratchbox as i know its being used and looked after properly rather than just collecting dust in my room.

i miss djing very rarely, and thats only when im generally waiting for someone to get ready or whatever as i used to mix a little to pass the odd 30mins or so when someone is running late. by the time you move you'll be too busy to worry mate.

hope that post makes sense

Guest petesasqwax

I'm going through this at the moment, to a degree, & It's a tough one. I'm selling the vast majority of my record collection bit by bit via discogs. I have probably a thousand or so left to sell, so it's a slow process (not something you were in a position to do, I appreciate) but I'm finding it really enjoyable and liberating. A friend of mine sold or gave away masses of his collection years ago using the train of thought that "anything I've not played in the last 12 months isn't essential" - respect to him for such a hard line stance, but I can't do that. I'm taking pleasure in the fact that: I don't have space for all the records any more; the money I raise allows me to finance new projects; the records I'm parting with are things that I genuinely don't see myself wanting to ever own again. I think the key issue for me is that I have no desire to sell all of my records - and I'm actually still buying records quite regularly too.

I don't actually think that was helpful at all, was it? Sorry man

• Like 1

I thought about selling mine once or twice, but I haven't done it because I remember selling off the bulk of my collection when I was in my late teens and I've always regretted it.

There's no logic to it. I never listen to records, and if I make a mix I just use Traktor now, but I just can't bring myself to part with them.

I would have kept a crate... The recs that mean the most to you like the ones you made, etc. But that's me. Still, good to detach from possessions. Hopefully you will not regret it. In a lot of ways records are pointless now especially if you are trying to not be tied down by your possessions.

Having lived away from Ireland,my record collection and lots other stuff for the last 4/5 years I realise better what i actually need and want to have in my life.

I'm a hoarder and collector of so many things it's ridiculous.

I sold a few vinyls when i was buying serato, but i'll definitely sell a lot more when i get home.

I'll keep all the jazz & prog albums that mean something to me, and that I know i'll want to listen to when i'm 70. but all the 12s and shit that was for playing out at gigs is all going. I'd rather keep and build on my collection of 7s if i want to do the occasional non DVS gig.

I also have a serious battle record collection, which could be hard to let go of.

I also have a huge collection of movies on dvd and vhs, and the best skratch video/dvd collection of anyone I know.

The vhs and dvds are gonna go too, except for a few classics and childhood favs.

There's loads of designer toys/figures/dunnys etc, and I missed the golden era for selling on ebay, but i'll still probably make a good profit on that.

I think you've made a mostly sensible cleansing decision, and i'm really going to try and get rid of as much as I can but I don't think i could get rid of every single thing...

I feel you mate

I am kind off going through the same thing in reverse at the moment

I have had my decks and records in storage for the last 9 or 10 years as my last place was too small to have them set up

I moved last year so it has afforded me the space to wheel them out

It's just odd as I don't know how I feel about the whole thing I have always had the desire to get back into it all but I just don't know if I will once it happens

I should be getting it all set up in the next week

It's so hard to go without but you can do it

Like somone said I don't think I could ever get rid of them now as i had every original Kenner Star Wars figure that I collected between the age of 12 and 17 and at 17 I sold the lot for £300

Absolute disgraced with myself all that time money and effort for nothing hahaha

So i think I'll take the records to the grave unless they gather dust for another 10 years in which case I may have a rethink

i think the key to sorting things out / chucking things away is to not over think it.

its like a plaster, just rip if off and when its done, its done, they'll be other things to worry about.

i understand thats easier said than done.

Hardly ever play my vinyl but I cant part with it. Mainly because of the memories. I do need to sort through and get rid of the stuff I dont like, but everytime I start I end up having a listening session with the ones I want to keep!

I had similar feelings when I decided to get rid of my (small) videogame collection and sold it all away. I had spent so much time and energy into those games.

I think it's normal to feel that way, you are closing a chapter of your life but you have to remember you are starting a new one.

Whatever you used to do in the past helped you become what you are today. And now you are into the projects you are right now.

I got rid of my videogames and left myself with only paint and turntables which is where my mind is now.

I felt down in the beginning, now I'm much happier. Life is change.

And I think this is a small scale version of what you are going through right now.

Guest petesasqwax

Yeah, I can relate to that in a big way. I've just spent a chunk of the money I raised from selling records this month on getting everything I need for a screen printing setup. The best way to look at it is probably to see it as something you were no longer needing, the selling of which can provide you a new opportunity doing something else/being somewhere else

I once sold some records of my collection. I deeply regret it and since then I never sold something of my collection. My 10'000 plus vinyl records are now stored in my atomic bunker studio in which I had to move everything, when wifey moved into my house. So I got enough space to hoard them. If I wouldn't own a house I would put everything into the scratch-studio my pals and me are renting.

• Like 2

Thanks men.

Sorry, not been online a couple of days.

@steve. That's it. There is no logic to keeping them. They are a cunt to move and means I always need to fork out for a much bigger room or flat. I think I'm over it now.

I'm over it now.

@Sy. I produced like 12 tracks in late 90s to early 2000. I did 2 Mos Def 12s, One EP with Premier and DJ Spinner, a B Side for Tribe Called Quest, 2 Guilty Simpson 12s, a Busta 12, Half the beats on a sean price album, All the scratching for Flying Lotus, and Cheryl Coles only release on Vinyl. Lol.

@Diggler. I kept like 3 dirstsyle records to scratch with and Phantasmegoria. That's it. Haha.

• Like 2

What else do you need?

@Sy. I produced like 12 tracks in late 90s to early 2000. I did 2 Mos Def 12s, One EP with Premier and DJ Spinner, a B Side for Tribe Called Quest, 2 Guilty Simpson 12s, a Busta 12, Half the beats on a sean price album, All the scratching for Flying Lotus, and Cheryl Coles only release on Vinyl. Lol.

Woah. What? I didn't know any of that. Post of the discography man! I'm super interested to check em out. What name were u producing under??

What else do you need?

Woah. What? I didn't know any of that. Post of the discography man! I'm super interested to check em out. What name were u producing under??

Hahahaha. Are you joking Dirk?? :(( :((

@Solemn. No job yet. Just want a change man. It's obviously a tonne cheaper than London and I have some savings. Gonna just head out, take my time and work out what I wanna do. Hopefully anyway. Haha.

What else do you need?

Hahahaha. Are you joking Dirk?? :(( :((

@Solemn. No job yet. Just want a change man. It's obviously a tonne cheaper than London and I have some savings. Gonna just head out, take my time and work out what I wanna do. Hopefully anyway. Haha.

Sorta not. If I sold everything I'd save one crate like I said and it'd be all battle records and serato picturediscs... maybe a couple P-Funk records. Thats the stuff that's most sentimental to me. Most of my collection is just hiphop singles and 80s music. Nothing real awe inspiring.

EDIT: Or did you mean post the list of tune?? Not joking about that either. I'd like to hear them!