New Microsoft Surface Book - twice as powerful as a Macbook Pro

Steve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVfOe5mFbAE

They also announced a new Surface Pro, which is 50% more powerful than a Macbook Air: -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gh4o9IqeEU

I can't afford to buy a Surface Book, but that's exactly what I want in a hybrid device. I'm surprised it took so long for a company to make something that good.

To own one of these I'd consider

Robbing a bank

Becoming a drugs mule

Apply for late night job cleaning Michael Barrymores swimming pool

Quitting smoking vegetables

Stop biting my nails

Apply for job as liquorice thong wearing Bangkok chick boy tabletop go go dancer (again)

Swear my allegiance to the EDM disco movement

Admit that my pal jam is ten times better cutter than me ( but not to his face)

Give up my z2 ( never even used )

(Although I'd probably use it if I had one of these even tho a Mac probably still runs traktor better)

My life has enough computing gadgets but I could just about see the Surface Book being decent for work, but it would need to dock cleanly too. I've never really got in to using a laptop type form factor around the house, I have my Hudl tablet or my desktop dual screen setup. We have pretty slick Dell ultrabooks for work which are really nice and light for travelling and then dock to a dual screen setup at my work desk 95 % of the time.

Where the Surface Book would be nice for me would be reviewing or reading reports / documents, I'd just detach the screen and relax somewhere to do it. The way our work IT infrastructure overlaps with external access I could probably just do that on a personal iPad or Surface though to be honest, though it feels a bit odd having highly confidential stuff on a non-work issued thing (even though it is officially possible / accepted as ok practice).

Just watched the stream, very good stuff really. From a productivity point of view it looks like they just pissed all over Apple, a lot of people seem to be let down by what the iPad Pro turned out to be. It was also nice to see someone genuinely passionate about his products. I could see some of these products and features helping me a lot in my work.

• 3 months later...

It seems that they have a bunch of software issues too. Paul Thurrott, one of the journos that solely covers Microsoft and is usually fairly positive about them, is pissed off with his cos of bugs.

Which became glaringly obvious to everyone in america last night.

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/new-england-patriots-suffering-from-bsod-1754843741

Microsoft has been on a season-long campaign to make sure you know the tablet computers on NFL sidelines are their Surface models, not iPads. Like most Microsoft products, the Surface tablets are crashing—at least those on the New England sideline. Money well-spent, Microsoft.

Update (5:55 p.m): Microsoft has issued a statement denying responsibility for the tablets’ failures.

• 5 weeks later...