Scratching over DnB!

adz_rolls

Need some advice/tips please people!

I have been trying to improve my scratching over drum and bass for a while now but I'm sort of hitting a brick wall atm, I seem to always revert back to fast chirps and transforms as these are what I'm most comfortable with. No matter what I do I cant get achieve the flow/sound I'm looking for!

The DJ in the vid below basically shows what I'm trying to achieve. What scratch is he doing at the 15 second and the 1:05 min mark, looks like a fast 1 click flare orbit? Also the scratch at 1:22?

I know there are a lot of videos out there that give advice on scratching over different tempos but I've yet to find one that gives any guidance on what scratches/combos work best over drum and bass.

Any pointers that you guys have would be appreciated, what scratches/combos do you find work best?

Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-S0z3uUN9Y

DnB is fast for me, thats around 80-90bpm if im not mistaken

Dude what are you talking about your scratch is amazing lol

but anyway, to get in a few more styles in it,

I use to have a problem with 70 because 70 is technically 140 as for dnb is probably around 160.

I built my way up, from 120 - 130 - 140 until I got comfortable with it. but the thing is you have to go around 150 to really be comfortable with 140. it took me time.

EDIT

oh lol I thought that was you on the vid.

looks like a flare chirp with prolonged first cut. just added abit swing into it.

Edited by miggydb

The DJ in the vid below basically shows what I'm trying to achieve. What scratch is he doing at the 15 second and the 1:05 min mark, looks like a fast 1 click flare orbit? Also the scratch at 1:22?

Looks like chirp flares and orbits

Those types of cuts at that tempo are going to give you that fast, rolling, percussive sound that will fit well over drum 'n' bass

• Like 1

Looks like chirp flares and orbits

Those types of cuts at that tempo are going to give you that fast, rolling, percussive sound that will fit well over drum 'n' bass

Thanks man, time to get my practice on!

post a file man.

Ah yes, the classic DV feint - it's like a test of courage in a kids gang: "We've all eaten a living snail in order to join - now, you're next." In reality, no one's posting files, really. ;)

The scratch at 1:22 should be an OG Flare with one sound forward and two backward in eighth note triplets. The Chirp Flare at the beginning is in sixteenths. You might want to practice switching between double/half time at slower tempos first. Also, for faster tempos, it can help to cheat a bit - like doing a Baby Flare instead of a Chirp Flare. Most people won't know. :p

• Like 2

sloppier than a prostitutes knickers:

Ah... mirrored three click orbits. I do the two click version and it never occurred to me to do threes. I'm biting that for sure.

At the risk of sounding even more stupid than usual, what's a mirrored 3 click orbit? I don't think anything I did was 3 click. I'm happy to break anything down to molecules.

1:53 ish... two three click flares in the same direction then repeat going back the other way, or start half way through the pattern and go three fwd, three back, three back, three forward. I thought that's more or less what you did for a second there. They might have been tug jobs (MATRON) or transforms, I'll have to check again when I'm not at work.

Edit: actually maybe you were just doing the two click version. I should try to pay more attention.

Yes, they were 2 click versions, but now you have given me the idea to try 3 :)

They are normally my party trick but my hands were getting tired!

Damn it I should have kept my big mouth shut

• Like 1

Right, this is my attempt it, it was done late last night and its not very good but I said I would post something so here it is! The only bit I'm vaguely happy with are the chirp flares after the first drop as I've not really done those before over dnb, the rest is very sloppy! I'll post an update once I get better!!

it seems really unhelpful, but the best advice is to practice. You have good rhythm, the techniques are taking shape, they just need refining.

Oh yeah, get them decks higher. If your ballsack could press the stop button, your set up is too low. #fact :)

• Like 2

it seems really unhelpful, but the best advice is to practice. You have good rhythm, the techniques are taking shape, they just need refining.

Oh yeah, get them decks higher. If your ballsack could press the stop button, your set up is too low. #fact :)

Yep, that was the first thing I thought. But then I have my decks up quite high, even for a tall guy.

The only advice I can give for fast or double time chirp flares is to try the way I do it, and that is to not think of the flare part as one click forward, one click back, but instead learn the two click pinch style and think of it as two clicks over a quick baby. It's the same scratch and the clicks still fall in the same place, but it's all about the different approach. The different technique with the fader hand will give you more speed IMO. You'll get the timing right after a while.

• Like 1

I didn't even think about the height of my decks tbh, but I will definitely get them raised up a bit.

I like the sound of the two click pinch style over a fast baby, the theory makes sense, will be trying that out tonight!

Appreciate the feed back guys, no one I know is into scratching/turntablism so the interwebs is my only guide atm.