Pioneer tease new battle mixer...?

Jon

I thought everybody on Colorado was all chilled out these days... but apparently not :(

We are, but not Vajra.

Quick story: DJ Astro was chatting with some dude on Paltalk ages ago. The guy asked Astro what he thought of Vajra's skratching, and Astro said "I'm not really feelin' his cuts, he sounds like he's trying to kill it." Immediately Astro gets a phone call from Vajra, saying he was the dude chatting with him on Paltalk. Vajra has been pissed at him ever since.

• Like 1

How much are rodec scratchboxes going for these days? I have a pretty much unblemished one that's sitting in it's case in my parents cellar in Switzerland. THIS mixer would be a true alternative for me to have.

If anyone is interested in my scratchbox, send me an offer and I'll see if I can get shit sorted. Might take a while though as I'm in Australia right now.

Guest petesasqwax

So furious he makes even The Furious Five seemed only slightly miffed.

I didn't even go out of my way to annoy him either, just pointed out one logic based flaw in his original post. Now we're not even 'friends' any more.

we need full disclosure on this, Matt

I wasn't trying to be a cock, I promise. Mostly a non-event.

He just posted that it was silly that loads of people were declaring the new Pioneer mixer as "the champion" when they haven't even tried it yet (fair enough, wise words IMHO). But then goes on to say that once it comes out, all the posts will turn into complaints and that he's gonna be getting constant calls from DJs playing in his area to borrow mixers because their Pioneer's won't work (like he does now with Z2s, apparently). So in one post he's told people not to judge things they haven't tried yet and also that without any personal experience he knows it'll be rubbish?!?!

Loads of people were jumping on what he said in the comments and lapping it up because he's DMC World Champ, etc. I just wanted to express my personal experience with both Pioneer and Rane (as the brand he was championing) to give some balance - I've learnt over the years that sometimes skilful DJs say some daft things and it's easy to be mislead when your young and inexperienced. Although it wasn't the purpose of my post, I said I thought he was as biased against the new mixer and the posters he complained about were biased in favour.

He took offence to being called "he" (which I just did because I didn't want to tag him and really I was addressing the fanboys, not him directly. He said that of course he was biased and right to be because the 62 had proved itself over the last couple of years using it. Again I tried to explain my own mixed experiences with the brands, apologised for not addressing him by name and pointed out the flaw in his original post. He didn't reply and defriended me.

A total non-event, barely worth repeating compared to many other people's experiences with him TBH.

Have Pioneer ever delivered a truly decent mixer? I'm out of the loop slightly but I don't remember them ever quite hitting jackpot on all fronts. These gold limited edition mixer and turntables are so expensive I might have to get second level financial sign off (wife).

Guest petesasqwax

A total non-event, barely worth repeating compared to many other people's experiences with him TBH. Now we've got serious beef and I'm already printing tickets for the Pioneer vs Rane (Jon vs Vajra) cage match Tony Prince is fronting the prize money for

fixed

[...]

You monster!

I think the mixer looks great! The 62 is just ridiculously expensive and the Z2 does feel a bit unfinished, so I guess it'll sell pretty well. Luckily for me, I don't play music that more than one in a thousand persons enjoys, so I don't need a club mixer. :p So, I'm with Pete on this one for a change: Do you really need to spend more than 400€ on a mixer if you mainly use it at home?

Seems like there is a gold limited edition version. This could be number 2 in my collection of pointless gear purchases. Who wants one? Gold turntables too.

Yeah the three look pretty dope together too

Deft - I think the 707/909 were pretty decent. Not flawless by any means, but the best Pioneer managed and definitely better built than their bigger club mixers.

I love my 909 personally. Surprised it never became more popular. The 707 is dope and the 400(?) is pretty great too. Price has always been the issue for me. Some people really bemoaned the 909 didn't have full cuts but it's never bothered me. By contrast the DJtech/thud mixer doesn't even have a fucking master cue! WTF. Worthless. But then the price difference between the two new was $1000 so guess it's easier to be happy with a poorly designed cheap mixer than a minor flaw in an expensive one.

I think I'm still leaning towards the 57mkII. Part of that is loyalty to Rane. I bought a TTM-54 back in the day when errbody was on about how "ugly" it was and the 05 was pretty much king. I still use that mixer (innofaded) as the second mixer in my 3-deck setup. The 56 is the bomb and I still sometimes think maybe I'll just cop a second one on eBay instead of buying a new mixer. Chris Duncan in their tech department is the man. I would ask him tech questions way back when (like 15 years ago) and just the other month I called him up and he gave me some info on recapping the power supply in my 54 (fixed now). So yeah, I heart some Rane.

The main thing about the S9 is the pads look so much more MPCish and familiar to me. I don't even rock DVS yet but they seem a lot more usable to me when I finally get out of the 90s. I'm of the Mr. Brown school of thought on cross-faders. I remember all the wack-ass shit from the 90s so anything out there now is good enough. I can adapt.

No upfader swap is a killer for me though. I pretty much wrote off the 62 for that. I'm a fool for tru-fades/mules and cut regular so I pretty much need them swapped. On my 54 I even permanently switched them.

The no hardware effects loop also bothers me. I like all the crazy ass pedals and rackmount effects and shit. I don't know how I feel about built-in effects, I assume they're cheap as hell. Plus, I don't really want the same effects everbody else is using. It even bothers the shit out of me that Rane took away the wet/dry adjustment on the 57mkII. I use that shit damn it.

Anyway, I think I might wait it out a bit and see how this Rock Well vs. Vajra beef plays out.

Edited by Jam Burglar
  • Like 2

Jam Burglar - I totally get your Rane loyalty, they are a company unlike the others and their classic products are rightfully legendary (56 fanboy myself too). Their customer service, particularly if you live the right side of the pond and can deal direct rather than through Sennheiser (UK) is outstanding. Experience has taught me that their new stuff isn't quite on par with the classic products though - no OG 56 ever broke its fader in 6 months for instance.

More importantly though, as you've touched on and mfsop and Pete said earlier, how much does anyone need a £1500 DJ mixer? Particularly one that's tied to software with a finite lifespan? If you're rich, big on the battle or clubbing scene, fair enough. But for most of us, picking up something really tidy and well made secondhand for £200/300 is probably the smart move... a 56, Hak or Scratchbox or whatever.

• Like 1

No upfader swap is a killer for me though. I pretty much wrote off the 62 for that. I'm a fool for tru-fades/mules and cut regular so I pretty much need them swapped. On my 54 I even permanently switched them.

Just turn your mixer upside down 90s style :p

So furious he makes even The Furious Five seemed only slightly miffed.

I didn't even go out of my way to annoy him either, just pointed out one logic based flaw in his original post. Now we're not even 'friends' any more.

If he didn't value your point of view he wasnt really a friend anywayz rok.

He med himsen look a right twat wit that old sound guy in my opinion. Shame cos without doubt hes brilliant at what he does but then so is Lawrence llewelyn bowen

Seems like there is a gold limited edition version. This could be number 2 in my collection of pointless gear purchases. Who wants one? Gold turntables too.

My problem is that to take this collecting crap seriously I probably should keep them unopened.

Just turn your mixer upside down 90s style :p

I tried that but the fader stems got mashed into my table and the rubber feet on the bottom kept making my eczema act up

• Like 3

My problem is that to take this collecting crap seriously I probably should keep them unopened.

I always opened my action figures.

I think the issue is now that you either get a reliable second hand mixer for 300 quid, a TRX for similar or less, or you have to pay well over 1000 (in every currency) for your mixer (if you're a serato user.....)

seen as serato is now available for more than one manufacturer, someone needs to bring out a serato loaded mixer similarly price to the z2 or even a little more, maybe around 800. Can you get build quality for that now though?

i like the hardware effects aspect and the pads But I don't need and will never use 1 billion effects.

But i don't know who'll do this..?

Reloop seem to be on their way making controllers for serato products, but i dont think i'd spend that much on a Reloop product.

and I don't think Rane are likely to stop their market saving for a 62/57mkII

I guess when i leave argentina I'll probably pick up a 62/57 or this if it's to my liking this new badboy