Drum Breaks Record...Would you be interested?

Mike-L

My friend Neil is interested in doing a drum breaks record. (I posted one of his releases in my other thread today.)

Basically , he has an amazing analog studio, with vintage pre-amps etc etc and was wondering if scratch DJ's or beat makers would be interested in a royalty free drum breaks record.

I had a chat with him about it but would be interested in your thoughts? Cheers

• Like 1

Yeah that's the idea. It's the same drummer from 'The Sorcerers' thread I posted. They would be short tracks with fills,progression & variation rather than straight loops too.

I do have some more detailed thoughts on the matter too, but I'm just about to run out the door

No worries. Any input is much appreciated.

Guest Symatic

I would probably buy it. If he wabted to do it all at skipless bpms that would be extra cool....

Analog studio you say... Think he'd want a 1/4" 2chanal studer a80? (needs service but basically works) i know one going cheap.....

My friend Neil is interested in doing a drum breaks record. (I posted one of his releases in my other thread today.)

Basically , he has an amazing analog studio, with vintage pre-amps etc etc and was wondering if scratch DJ's or beat makers would be interested in a royalty free drum breaks record.

I had a chat with him about it but would be interested in your thoughts? Cheers

Yes. Would be cool if it was infinite loop like Swamps stuff.

Guest Symatic

yeah 66.66 bpm (4/4) 83.33 bpm (5/4) 100 bpm (3/4) and 133.33bpm (4/4 again, but house speed instead of dub speed as on 66.66) would be useful tempos if he's up for that idea :)

maybe even a track with little kick/snare hits like boomClap and ClapBoom if you know what i mean, for drum scratching. like on a dirtstyle rec

Skipless beats are cool, but not skipless samples. The latter to me comes across as lazy and cheap production. I would much rather have a wealth of different samples than a big section of fresh, ahhh, we don't give a fuck, etc. I feel robbed when I get such records. A couple rotations of skipless is cool though, just not a gangload.

And yeah, some isolated hits are ideal, where they're not all jumbled up together.

I got a drum break record recently and have a few others lying around... On the new one the start of each break had a vocal counting it in and as you moved inwards on the record the beats became more intricate. The only thing i thought wasn't great was that that it was all from the same drum kit - it would have been nice to have a bit more variation and a broader percussive pallet.

My question is why do people want individual hits on a record ? you can get these in sample pack - no ? I see the point of loops or hit arrangements for scratch drumming on records , just not standalone hits for sampling ..

@jhouse - who are these lazy and cheap cunts making these shitty SKIPLESS records - i think a good old fasioned lynching is on the cards for em :-p

My question is why do people want individual hits on a record ? you can get these in sample pack - no ? I see the point of loops or hit arrangements for scratch drumming on records , just not standalone hits for sampling ..

@jhouse - who are these lazy and cheap cunts making these shitty SKIPLESS records - i think a good old fasioned lynching is on the cards for em :-p

Maybe not "individual" hits, but more isolated, where the hits aren't all jumbled together, so it's easier to drum; Basically, some breathing room between the kicks, snares, hi-hats, etc.

Regarding the skipless records, I see it's an issue with all of them. I stopped buying battle wax because mostly all have the same samples, with big blocks of skipless sounds. Not trying to be a dick, but that irks me.