Unanswered questions

Guest rasteri

The grip thing is something I've been working on, but can't seem to fix. After years of obsessing over 2 clickers, my speed is pretty good when pinching vertically (fingers perpendicular to the faceplate), but I can't seem to slow them down. Mentally I'm "turning off" the fader.

For things like autobahns or boomerangs (which are new scratches to me after 10 years away from the decks), my hand positioning is far more horizontal (fingers pointing parallel to the mixer faceplate) and mentally I'm "turning on" the fader.

I'm having a lot of trouble reconciling the two for things like Boomflares, and even for getting the speed of things like boomerangs up.

Any suggestions?

You have to be able to slow the clicks down otherwise you haven't really got the scratch down, just a specific version of it. Just slow it down an extreme amount and make sure your clicks create even note lengths. The only way to get it down is to slow it right down and do tons of reps, if you *can't* do it slow, it means you haven't done enough reps to drill in the muscle memory because there's nothing that physically stops someone from being able to go slow (unlike going fast where we might have physical limitations).

Also you just have to try to get past the mentally turning on/turning off thing. In reality every fader click has an on and off portion so if you're transforming or flaring you're turning the sound off one way, and on the other. A click is a click, no matter what technique, and closed fader vs. open fader only affects the very first and very last positions. Everyone starts off distinguishing the 2 types of movements but as you progress and get more combos, they merge into just being clicks regardless of whether it's on/off/open/close/etc. At this point my 2/3/4 click flares and 2/3/4 click transforms feel identical, it's just where the fader begins/ends, the actual movement is all the same.

This goes along with unifying your fader movement. Try to do all your scratches the same on the fader whether it's chirps, flares, transforms, etc, and they'll start feeling the same and becoming easier to combo.

• Like 1

i know you're right Vek, but to most of us mere mortals, doing a swing flare vs a 3 click flare does feel different #IMO.

I used to be an 'open fader cat' and click off alot. Trying to learn the new stuff starting closed fader feels completely different, although as you said, in reality it is just starting at a different point.

It all boils down to practice and learning new concepts and stuff in the old brain.

Mystery - "This goes along with unifying your fader movement. Try to do all your scratches the same on the fader" this is deffo the advice to follow my man!

Gotta be honest - finding this forum and immediately getting responses from helpful, friendly, knowledgable people is mindblowingly fantastic! The last time I was part of a scratch forum (in like 1999 / 2000) it was mostly Ricci Rucker under some alias stirring the pot and generally belittling folks for no apparent reason. Amusing, but not super helpful. I've been lurking quite a bit lately and really appreciate your help as I attempt to catch up on the last 16 years.

Thank you

• Like 2

Guest petesasqwax

The last time I was part of a scratch forum (in like 1999 / 2000) it was mostly Ricci Rucker under some alias stirring the pot and generally belittling folks for no apparent reason. Amusing, but not super helpful.

A fair few of us were there too mate :)

Guest broke

Gotta be honest - finding this forum and immediately getting responses from helpful, friendly, knowledgable people is mindblowingly fantastic! The last time I was part of a scratch forum (in like 1999 / 2000) it was mostly Ricci Rucker under some alias stirring the pot and generally belittling folks for no apparent reason. Amusing, but not super helpful.

AHHH THE GOLDEN ERA OF SQZXKCRATCH_FORUMZ

Gotta be honest - finding this forum and immediately getting responses from helpful, friendly, knowledgable people is mindblowingly fantastic! The last time I was part of a scratch forum (in like 1999 / 2000) it was mostly Ricci Rucker under some alias stirring the pot and generally belittling folks for no apparent reason. Amusing, but not super helpful. I've been lurking quite a bit lately and really appreciate your help as I attempt to catch up on the last 16 years.

Thank you

Pssshhh, post a file bitch. :ph34r: