stuck with the aaah sound

INFA

my scratches only sound decent with the aah sound. but with most other sound it sounds a lot worse or downright awfull. do i have to change record movements a little? espescially chirping with words sounds horrible. any tips?

Some sounds aren't going to sound as good as others for certain scratches. Chirps sound best with a sharp attack at the beginning of the sound - you shouldn't have problems with 'aw yeah', for instance.

It could be that using 'aah' constantly has robbed you of the practice of where on the sound you need to be. It's such a long, simple sound that you can get away with just about any record movement and click position - I was guilty of this myself for ages.

• Like 2

Guest Symatic

Have you ever tried using "fresh" instead? :)

Seriously, try just experimenting with vocals and instrument sounds, really helps.

Remember, you can scratch ANY sound, so dont just limit yourself to one sample...

Oh and practice drum scratching too, really good way of developing short accurate cuts you can apply to multi-syllable sounds or sounds that vary in pitch (like a sweeping synth noise or a whistle type noise) and you can chop em into notes

Like the others are saying, you can pretty much do any cuts with the Ahhhh. With other sounds certain cuts will sound better, others worse.

I totally understand the the rut of getting clean Aaahh cuts and then not wanting to practice with sounds that make you sound worse, but practice is the only answer. I'd buy a copy of Combination of the Masters - I hear it's been made by some dubious characters, but looking past that it's the best scratch record on the market right now and it's filled with excellent non-Ahhhh sounds. Spend practice time on each sentence working which cuts suit each one and which don't. After a few weeks of that you should start to discover that some of them even make specific cuts and combos sound even better than the Ahhhh does.

• 4 weeks later...

things to add to everyones suggestions

- get more records with various types of samples ie. CoM, SSII etc....

- if you have a turntable with ultrapitch you can slow down samples so they run out longer like the ahhhh sample. I like to do it with the 'yeahs'....

-practice!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

thnx for the reply's

ofcourse its practise practise practise, but sometimes it feels that your stuck and not making progress

today i have learned to drag in a combo whitch ads a lot of flow to my scratches (not so flat anymore)

the last weeks i have practised a lot with sentences and did some chirps transforms and cuts with them, cant get flares to sound good with them

making progress little by little.

• 2 weeks later...