DV Scratch Beat & Scratch Battle - June/July 2015

DJ Rock Well

Starting now, I want to get some semi regular beat battles going again. They will be just for fun between DV members, an excuse for us to have to do something creative and interact more with each other on that level. Hopefully some of the seasoned pros will get involved and equally this is a great way for the closet beatmakers round here to start sharing stuff in a friendly encouarging enviroment (first place I ever publically posted beats was on here in previous DV beat battles).

Rather than try to keep up a monthly thing like we once did, I'm going to make it a bit more informal and a bit less regular. Although I'd like to keep it so there's something going on at least every couple of months. I'm going to switch up the format from battle to battle too, so it will be scratch beat battles (with subsequent scratch battle over the winning beat), sample flip battles, other themed beat battles, etc.

So as an easy way to kick things off, I want to return to the classic format we used do here. Anybody who was using the board 2-3 years ago will know the drill, but for anyone newer, it goes like this...

Over the next 2 weeks, post your scratch beats you've made in this thread, preferably via soundcloud as the player will embed automatically. They can be any style or any tempo and could be made with anything from a phone app to a full concert orchestra. The only rule is that the beat should be no more than 2 mins long. Remember that this particular battle is for scratch beats (other future battles won't always be) so ideally leave some space in the beat for cuts. After two weeks (Tuesday 7th of July being the last day to post a beat), I will compile them in a new thread where DV members will vote for the best one and the winning beat will then be used for a friendly scratch battle of a similar format (2 weeks to post a scratch vid, followed by a members vote).

Hopefully that all makes sense to everyone. If you've got any questions, ask them here or PM me if they are of a personal or embarrasing nature ;)

Get involved!

• Like 2

Guest Symatic

yay, good work rocky, i was gonna try and start some battle shinannigans but you beat me to it and have clearly thought it through morethan me.

go rockwell!

• Like 1

Thanks man, although you clearly overestimate me ;)

Also, I have no desire to turn this into a dictatorship - if you have any ideas for a future battle you want me to implement or do yourself, just let me know. I just want to keep things rolling in this section.

I look forward to hearing you slay the competition with little more than an iPhone and the duration of a poo.

ladies and gentlemen start your sequencers!

• Like 2

Guest petesasqwax

http://www.mediafire.com/download/xqkt5x8idz8o1qy/spacepeace120.zip

OK, I'm going to kick things off with this little thing here that I may possibly have lost the project files for. I made into a looper - both in standalone windows format (i.e. .exe) and play-it-in-whatever-you-like web-browser type format (i.e. swf). It's 120 bpm, but it's kind of not. You'll hear what I mean. I did 2 versions of it - one stripped down to the beat, one with more shit included. IF I manage to find the project files the loop I submit will be comprised of both.

• Like 2

didnt get much sleep last night, (Exo Zombies) been at work all day, came home an so tired, put on Kut_Class proper cut tune, im cutting with my palms!! so took a short break and listen to symatics tune.........

Three neighbour complaints later............

Symatic that lead filtered synth is INCREDIBLE love it!!

You guys a de bomba!

just started petesasqwax looper booooooom!!!

got a tex from my neighbour - come on mate were trying to watch a film with the kids!

oh well headphones it is!! :8

• Like 2

When i put sy's beat on i instantly moved my phone away from the speakers ! well played mate hahah

I'll definitely throw something in before the deadline too. Just not sure if it's going to be a newly made one or something old - started working on two new beats but they are growing into much more complicated instrumentals not really relevant for this. Time will tell.

Tuesday 7th of July being the last day to post a beat)

Haven't forgotten about this, just trying to move house and a most of a record shop this week :(

I'll try and sort it tonight after my class.

Break beats not rules - Mods please!

Nice beats so far. :)

• Like 1

Ok, Ok... the vote thread really will go live tonight.

Two questions...

Am I allowed to throw in an old beat to make up the numbers? DV can decide (listening to the others, I won't be winning shit with it. If that helps?).

Pete - you posted two loops that were going to be part of your entry you said. Are they your entry, or did you want to submit the final version?

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

shit, mate, I totally forgot. they're basically the same beat, though, so make them my entry. I would say that I'll submit a final version which cycles between the 2 in 8 or 16 bar movements if I could guarantee that I'd get the time to do it immediately, but I'll have to go with that as is because I can't.

of course you're allowed to throw in an old beat to make up numbers, d00d - get that shit in there!