Discogs oddness - what you think is your most valuable record prob isn't

Guest petesasqwax

I can believe it. Often the obvious collectables are obvious to everyone and over saturation drives prices down (something that discogs has been terrible for in recent years).

Also, never underestimate big selling albums that were issued in tiny quantities on vinyl during the 'dark days for vinyl' era.

Guest petesasqwax

Sorry, man. Understandable you'd feel that way. I do feel a bit lighter having confessed, though - like a burden has been lifted from my shoulders.

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

If I could play it whilst driving I would happily own it because I would also own an in-car turntable and would therefore be officially UNFUCKWITTABLE ;)

Guest broke

Bugger, I think I sold that Moby record for normal price at a record fair without checking first.

I didn't know you could sort your collection by price, is that new? It turns out half of my top ten most valuable records are all Digital Mystikz 12s. I hope I kept Mala's "Alicia" (170 quid?!)

Also, I can't believe the Rapster pressing of INI's Center of Attention goes for 60 quid. WTF?

Guest petesasqwax

I dunno if it's new but it's definitely new to me. Damn useful too. I also like that it gives me an evaluation of my collection (or, at least, what I've got listed on Discogs so far). Apparently it's:

Minimum: £2,526.46
Median: £4,488.88
Maximum: £8,076.59

That Rapster pressing of INI going for more than it originally retailed at is pretty insane. I like Grap Luva and Rob-O as much as the next man, but it's for damn sure not something I'd spend £60 on!

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

I don't have a choice - I need to sell the vast majority of my records because my studio space will become a "wet room" before the end of the year and I simply do no have the space to keep a load of indie records from the 90s that I have no actual need to own.

Update: listed the Moby record yesterday... sold it last night for £70! Should've put it on for more!

• Like 1

Also, I can't believe the Rapster pressing of INI's Center of Attention goes for 60 quid. WTF?

Maybe I should be selling it... Knowing how valuable a record is, sometimes takes the fun out of using it. :)

I'm the total opposite on that front, I fucking love getting my filthy hands all over a valuable record and thinking about all the middle-aged beard strokers I'm pissing off.

Like I did to these two albums I own.

http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=ian+carr+belladonna&sortord=&pagenum=1&incldescr=&currsel=&thumbs=

http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?pagenum=1&searchtext=mcdonald+and+giles&incldescr=&sortord=dprice&thumbs=&currsel=

I'm the total opposite on that front, I fucking love getting my filthy hands all over a valuable record and thinking about all the middle-aged beard strokers I'm pissing off.

Maybe you're right. Watch out for my new video where I'll shred my Fuga Da Voi and Scqketchbook LPs into little pieces, melt them down and recast that precious plastic mass to toy money with a nominal value of $20,000. :8

i've always assumed that my meagre collection that i've pared down to a few hundred was worth an average of a quid a go... i have everything in storage at the moment and should probably up the insurance a fair bit after a five minute trawl of the ones that are A off the top of my head brought me to a couple of hundy easy...

then again the majority of my stuff is in B condition anyway so my original estimate probably isn't that far off the mark. Still, £15 for Klashnekoff Lionheart Tussle With the Beast is something I didn't think at all - it's a real penny pincher of a press, single LP with 25 minutes a side. Compare that to the superb 3xLP TY Upwards for £3... bonkers

Guest petesasqwax

Still, £15 for Klashnekoff Lionheart Tussle With the Beast is something I didn't think at all - it's a real penny pincher of a press, single LP with 25 minutes a side. Compare that to the superb 3xLP TY Upwards for £3... bonkers

a lot of it is down to how many copies there are, though - there are LOADS of those TY LPs