What's the best free equipment you've been given?

Me and my mate were recently chatting about upgrading our home studios, and we were identifying where all our equipment came from (proper geek fest). It turned out that a lot of our stuff has come from hand-me-downs, or free gear from companies we've worked for.

The company I work for is moving buildings so they've been sorting through a lot of their kit. I managed to score a Soundcraft EPM8 mixing desk, and I've been told that there might be some ex BBC Studio monitors up for grabs soon!

I like the history behind them, rather than a fresh out the box gizmo (I like those to). But also, free equipment is.....FREE!

Guest petesasqwax

got some amazing Kef floorstanders I inherited from my maternal grandfather. Absolutely stunning things, they are. Not remotely "studio monitors" just 3ft tall high fidelity monsters.

A mate of mine gave me a circuit bent Speak & Spell which is the tits too

• Like 1

Guest rasteri

I got an old Commodore CDTV (basically an Amiga 500 in a VHS-style case) for free once. It was lying neglected in the corner of a pub, having previously been used as a Karaoke machine, but nobody could remember how to use it. I sold them a cheap easy to use karaoke machine and in exchange offered to dispose of the CDTV safely (made up some shite about ROHS).

most iv ever been given is a few records never equipment. come to think of it they were borrowed to me so i guess iv stolen them… i guess that another thread, stuff u have stolen from peeps!!!

• Like 1

I don't think I've ever been given music equipment but my friend gave me his playstation when he moved to the USA when we were kids. I was obsessed with console gaming back then so it was such an amazing gift :)

• Like 2

I don't think I've ever been given music equipment but my friend gave me his playstation when he moved to the USA when we were kids. I was obsessed with console gaming back then so it was such an amazing gift :)

I was gonna say for you Jon, the DMC equipment you've received. Though you did work to get those, so not technically "free"

• Like 1

Guest Symatic

i got my revox reel to reel for free.... and my Akai :) ( thanks rockwell! ) which is actually my most-used piece of free kit, and i got my pdx 2300' kinda for free.... instead of a £300 bonus form my old job.

I got a pair of qbert carts and styli for free....

oh and my harbeth monitors i got free :)

broke wins though :)

• Like 1

M3d. It was right after I put out a mix; my friend heard it, figured he wasn't doing shit with his setup, and thus gave me his polished Technics and a grip of dope old school hiphop wax. Score.

• Like 1

I was gonna say for you Jon, the DMC equipment you've received. Though you did work to get those, so not technically "free"

actually I've told a massive fib by accident : ortofon gave me a set of qbert Concordes recently and I'm sponsored by magma so got a sick bag off them, so those are my proper answer to the thread :)

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

i got my revox reel to reel for free.... and my Akai :) ( thanks rockwell! ) which is actually my most-used piece of free kit, and i got my pdx 2300' kinda for free.... instead of a £300 bonus form my old job.

I got a pair of qbert carts and styli for free....

oh and my harbeth monitors i got free :)

broke wins though :)

I got a National portable reel-to-reel for free, but I can't get it to work. I've stripped it as much as I can but I can't seem to get into where the belt is to see if that's the issue. Bit gutting. I WILL get a working reel-to-reel in the near future

Guest petesasqwax

I'm sponsored by magma so got a sick bag off them

I got a sick bag from Virgin Atlantic. Didn't need to use it. Result!

• Like 1

DJM-600 & CMX-5000 from an older fraternity brother. This is what got me into DJing pretty much.

I got my decks from my (actual) brother, he was a drum n bass/jungle DJ in the 90's. That got me into DJing.

I given a few bits away in the past but I don't think I've ever bagged anything memorable for free myself. My closest was bargains I've had thanks to the kindness of others - Roland SH-1000 for £75 and Akai MFC42 for £50. Both of which are treasured, used and will never be sold on for profit.

Guest Symatic

I'm sponsored by magma so got a sick bag off them

I got a sick bag from Virgin Atlantic. Didn't need to use it. Result!

haha good work pete