Midi controller for makeshift C1 with PDX3000?

I know a few people have tried this already. I just got a PDX3000 and want a decent midi controller for makeshift C1 stuff. I'm thinking something small but with keys/buttons that are easy to hit on the fly. Those who have tried it, any recommendations?

Guest rasteri

Some people have had a go at making circular midi controllers, but I guess the hard part is making an enclosure. It's something that should exist though. It could slot into the 45 adapter hole like a dicer.

Guest Symatic

darcy said he knew of someone making little stick-on buttons you can put anywhere that would work for this... im doing the same thing with a pdx2000 and backtracks midi mod.

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

Paul's (Dubba) got a super dope mini keyboard thing with rubber keys that's perfect for it, i dunno what it's called though. I would recommend it. He even got a program that lights up the scales for you. It's v. good

I always though a footpedal is the way to go for this cos it leaves your hands free to be doing what they should be doing, i.e. slamming the record about and slapping up the fader. Never really found one though. There was one for the C1

I use two things, neither of which to be hooked up to the computer.

1. Yamaha Su10

This shows it in my live set up from 2011

2.Iphone + Midi Inteface + Lemur Template

This one is better functionally and I can position the decks closer together too, but I need to test run it a few more times to check for bugs etc Then I was thinking of making it publicly available. I'll hopefully finish it in June when I have some free time

• Like 1

I use two things, neither of which to be hooked up to the computer.

1. Yamaha Su10

This shows it in my live set up from 2011

2.Iphone + Midi Inteface + Lemur Template

This one is better functionally and I can position the decks closer together too, but I need to test run it a few more times to check for bugs etc Then I was thinking of making it publicly available. I'll hopefully finish it in June when I have some free time

Nice, thanks Mike! Hmm, Brace did an identical thing with his iPhone, I'm not sure how he did it, but yea it seems really sick. I have Android though, not sure if it'll work for my phone... have to look into that.

Nice, thanks Mike! Hmm, Brace did an identical thing with his iPhone, I'm not sure how he did it, but yea it seems really sick. I have Android though, not sure if it'll work for my phone... have to look into that.

There are a few apps out with which you can build your own templates. I tried Touch OSC & MIDI designer too. I could do a basic layout with these but Lemur is a lot more powerful as it allows scripting. My template is a grid of squares but with the notes laid out as if it was tuned like a guitar. I've added octave & semitone tuning & a pitch bend too - both things which weren't possible in the way I wanted with the simpler apps.

Lemur do do an Android version, but I don't know anything about compatible MIDI interfaces or what the latency is like on Android phones these days as I remember that was an issue a few years ago.

Paul's (Dubba) got a super dope mini keyboard thing with rubber keys that's perfect for it, i dunno what it's called though. I would recommend it. He even got a program that lights up the scales for you. It's v. good

I always though a footpedal is the way to go for this cos it leaves your hands free to be doing what they should be doing, i.e. slamming the record about and slapping up the fader. Never really found one though. There was one for the C1

Aw yea, I knew somebody had something like that at SSS, I'll have to ask Paul what he used, it looked dope.

There are a few apps out with which you can build your own templates. I tried Touch OSC & MIDI designer too. I could do a basic layout with these but Lemur is a lot more powerful as it allows scripting. My template is a grid of squares but with the notes laid out as if it was tuned like a guitar. I've added octave & semitone tuning & a pitch bend too - both things which weren't possible in the way I wanted with the simpler apps.

Lemur do do an Android version, but I don't know anything about compatible MIDI interfaces or what the latency is like on Android phones these days as I remember that was an issue a few years ago.

Oh sick, that sounds really handy, semitone tuning would be good for a controller with limited buttons. Definitely make it public when you can! I know Brace would love to check it out, yours sounds more versatile than what he has at the moment, but he was stoked on the ability to put the phone right on the mixer and be able to control notes and such.

Yea I heard there were issues on Android for this sort of stuff too :(

Guest petesasqwax

downside: android latency is still shit
upside: old iphone 4s etc. are pretty cheap these days

I got a 4 purely for running music apps and it's excellent. nanostudio with the synthstation is obscene amounts of fun

downside: android latency is still shit

upside: old iphone 4s etc. are pretty cheap these days

I got a 4 purely for running music apps and it's excellent. nanostudio with the synthstation is obscene amounts of fun

Oh word, yea an iphone 4 will run that stuff just as good as a newer one? Good call

Guest petesasqwax

I can only speak for mine, man, but it runs iMPC, iMaschine, BabyScratch, Flare etc. perfectly so I'm sure it'll hand most apps too

Guest rasteri

yeah I don't think crocodile clips and copper tape are really a viable solution

Really you'd want to be making some sort of curved enclosure with some tactile switches

Guest Symatic

So I spoke to the guy making the copper buttons thing...

so far it's only gonna work with capacative buttons, ie coppr wire type shiz.

the crocodile clips dont have to be there, you could work on finishing everything much more professionally, he just did that for the vids to show the concept.

but I asked if you could add tactile buttons like the C1, and he said not yet....

the other thing i've been looking at is the livid brain JR. http://shop.lividinstruments.com/brain-jr/

this thing looks very cool and custolmizable, BUT, the Jr version (which is about $50) is only USB compatible by the looks of it, so you would use it to control software on your computer rather than controlling hardware... I think.

the Brain V2 can do standalone operation, as it has proper midi in/outs and separate power supply, but its like $180 or something, and is pretty chunky.....

HMMMMMMM the search continues.

anyone tried a Brain JR? maybe i'm wrong but i think it has to have a computer hooked up.....

i got the brain jr, , it's is usb only and sends midi CC ... It is very easy to use , you just need buttons and wire and you've got a instant controller ... i;m gonna mod my 06 at some point ...

To control a 3000, you could either run thru your computer and use your soundcards 5 pin midi out (if it has it) (this way you could program sequence in your computer !) OR

There is a box you can buy that can convert a usb midi connection to the standard midi 5 pin without going trough the computer (

Guest Symatic

yeah but would the livid brain jr still work standalone? like does it know it's a midi controller without a computer telling it what to do?? i dunno what im on about ...

Guest rasteri

If anyone wanted to try building something more stable I could knock up a MIDI circuit for them for <£50.

The hard bit is making a case to put it in.

• Like 1

Guest Symatic

oohhh... if you could make me something that lets me connect a bunch of buttons to the midi input of my turntable, i would send you some money and a signed photograph from my cat

• 3 weeks later...

Sup everyone, I'm the guy that made the touch capacitive buttons for turntable. Just wanted to let people know that I will be releasing a V2 of the box that will have tactile buttons just like a C1. I have coded everything and prototyped the board and everything is working.

I have added these new features:

Octave up and down buttons

Semitone up and down shift

Reset to middle C

The unit will be made from perspex and will house around the corner of any (midi capable) turntable. Like before it will power off USB (doesn't have to be from a computer) and have a midi in port.

I'm not far from having the first one made. If anyone is interested let me know. I'll post some pictures when it is made!

Peace!

• Like 1