DV Technology People. Is my phone fucked or is the Sony Xperia camera just a heap of shit?

Blak Randy

I have looked all over and can’t find much online about this. People tend to say the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact (my phone) camera is good. Basically since I have had it I have not been able to take any pictures unless it’s in really bright light. If it’s darker and I put the flash on it basically just goes unusably blurry and the screen just fills with loads of white.

Have any of you boys got this phone? Do you get this happening when you try to use the flash in a bar or anywhere semi dark?

Below are two pics I attempted to take in a bar on Saturday night with the flash on. These are totally indicative of how all pics attempted to take in low light are.

Do any of you know how to fix this or is the camera just horseshit?

Thanks men. I always come to DV for tech advice cause you lot seem to know more than the rest of the internet :)

Cheers mate.

So these were taken in the 8mp Auto mode which apparently does everything for you. I’ve tried playing with the Quality. I maybe tried the exposure too but not sure what that does. And no idea what ISO does.

I’m a fucking luddite man. I’ll google them tonight.

However in the Auto Mode I can’t imagine it should be this bad??

Hm... a couple of things might work. First off, have you tried tapping and holding a dark part of the screen to re-expose the image to that part of the photo?

In the dark, try 'night' mode, it'll automatically adjust for darker conditions. It's possible that the auto mode is struggling to decide between longer exposure, which lets more light in at the risk of blur, and high ISO, which is how sensitive the camera sensor is to light (but, analogous to adding gain to a quiet audio signal, leading to noise). For handheld shots, it's better for exposure time to take priority over ISO so you don't get blurry photos.

Also, try downloading another camera app. I like Camera FV-5, it's a paid app but it's really good. It's billed as a 'pro' camera app but it's fine to use it just point and shoot. Plus it shoots in raw on Android 5. If you want to mess about with your photos after you've taken them to make them better, then raw images are a gazillion times better than jpg for doing it - especially for adjusting exposure after the fact, which is pretty much exactly what you want to be doing.

I also like VSCOcam, and the filters shit on Instagram on it too.

Google camera is basic but it'll help you troubleshoot - it's possible that your app or your camera hardware is fucked, perhaps.

Hm... a couple of things might work. First off, have you tried tapping and holding a dark part of the screen to re-expose the image to that part of the photo?

In the dark, try 'night' mode, it'll automatically adjust for darker conditions. It's possible that the auto mode is struggling to decide between longer exposure, which lets more light in at the risk of blur, and high ISO, which is how sensitive the camera sensor is to light (but, analogous to adding gain to a quiet audio signal, leading to noise). For handheld shots, it's better for exposure time to take priority over ISO so you don't get blurry photos.

Also, try downloading another camera app. I like Camera FV-5, it's a paid app but it's really good. It's billed as a 'pro' camera app but it's fine to use it just point and shoot. Plus it shoots in raw on Android 5. If you want to mess about with your photos after you've taken them to make them better, then raw images are a gazillion times better than jpg for doing it - especially for adjusting exposure after the fact, which is pretty much exactly what you want to be doing.

I also like VSCOcam, and the filters shit on Instagram on it too.

Google camera is basic but it'll help you troubleshoot - it's possible that your app or your camera hardware is fucked, perhaps.

You are the man for this. Thanks so much.

I have tried all of this now. There is no night mode but I have fucked around with things. No luck.

Tried FV-5 and VSCO Cam. All the same. Blurry or full of white or usually both.

@frost. It's been like that since day one and it's fine in normal light.

I guess the camera is just a heap of shit.

Thank you very much for trying to help buys. Appreciated.