RANE SL2 v TRAKTOR SCRATCH A6 ?

MrKD

Depends what you wanna get out of your dj software really? If your gigging regular and want as little headaches as pos then really gotta consider the sl2.

Feature wise the a6 edges it for me mainly because of the ability to post fade sample and fx, plus it's useable as a solid sound card to.

But...... traktor can and will make you wanna head butt the nearest brick wall from time to time where as serato seems headache free.

Guest rasteri

Or do what I did, Buy an audio 4 DJ for £75 used, then buy two Traktor records for £30.

I never use any traktor effects etc so I've never had any headaches with it.

Guest petesasqwax

Or do what I did, Buy an audio 4 DJ for £75 used, then buy two Traktor records for £30.

I never use any traktor effects etc so I've never had any headaches with it.

I've heard this works with M-Audio Conectiv too

Guest rasteri

You can get a dodgy version of traktor for any soundcard, but if you're taking paid money from gigs you should be at least using legit copies of your software IMO

i have sl3 and audio 4, idk about audio 6.

serato is plug and play literally

traktor is plug configure calibrate configure replug if you got it wrong replug replug configure settings in the midi thing that fixes the light up modes because old versions dont have buttons on the sound card configure again configure calibrate then play.

and I dont like the playlist system in traktor

or maybe im just a serato fanboy irdk.

but serato is definitely user friendly-er

Thank you all for that feedback ...

Armed with that, on Monday I will ask the questions of the sales man who I hope can scratch ? maybe fingers crossed even juggle ??

I will report back on the outcome.

I want to just plug it in hook it up to a PC base unit and make itchy & scratch noise like I use to do ... No gigs ...

owning a SL2 and also Traktor through my Z2. I have a resonable understanding of both.

In the 3 years i've had and used Serato. I've had no issues other than relating to my needles or my cables from my decks. Both are to do with external equipment and once fixed worked perfectly.

I've had Traktor since October and it's been a learning curve. Traktor is more sensitive and if there is some issue with your deck it will pick it up straight away..

I like both!

Traktor though, when you get it rights is great but you do have to work soemtimes to get it to work as you want.

you'll be able to get your scratch on, on both of them i'm sure.

There both quality.

I did intially think Serato was best for scratching/juggling, but after prolonged use of Traktor I actually think its better for scratching and Serato because of the bigger waveform is better for juggling.

Fx are better on Traktor but i also find the cues and cue play more accurate on serato.

Serato you can set a cue point and pretty much press it in time.

Traktor you need to set the cue more accurate to get the same result.

last one. serato is very easy to map, traktor is like hell to map.

My ten pence worth.

Edited by HansFree

I've owned Torq, Serato and Traktor. The only one I wasn't happy with was Torq.

Other than trying to figure out how to use the Traktor box as an external sound card while still being able to record in multitrack software, I haven't found Traktor tough to use at all. I only use the basic features and I don't think it's any harder to use than Serato if you're wanting a basic vinyl substitute. I'm sure it's more complex when you get into using the advanced features, as Traktor seems to allow you to do more than Serato, although Serato has been updated a few times since I owned it so maybe that's no longer true - it was certainly true when I bought Traktor though.

Serato was better at auto-BPMing tracks and it was better when scratching with key lock on. Also, Traktor overwrites tag info in some circumstances, for instance, if I rip vinyl records I give them track numbers like A1, A2, B1, B2 and so on and Traktor removes them as it doesn't seem to like track numbers that aren't strictly numerical. I find that annoying as I don't want Traktor touching the tags of my songs, but that's my only annoyance with it. Maybe that's been fixed now - I've not used it in a while.

Guest petesasqwax

Other than trying to figure out how to use the Traktor box as an external sound card while still being able to record in multitrack software, I haven't found Traktor tough to use at all.

This consumed much of my sunday afternoon. Nowhere do NI tell you that you need to route your main audio inputs through the FX send/return channels because if you monitor through playback you get horrendous latency!

Sorted now though