Rane 57mkll Vs Rane 62

jam

It's simple really, the 62 has everything on it you could ever imagine on a scratch mixer (apart from the famously missing "Channel Swap" button for the line faders) and costs around £1550, the 57 MKII has quite a few less features than the 62, but trades on the romance of it's predecessor's name and costs £1600.

EDIT: actually, in the name of complete clarity, the 57 MKII does have a Channel Swap switch and apparently the hot cue buttons are now built to the professional standard you'd expect on a high quality mixer as opposed to the 'Christmas Cracker Specials' Rane thought would suffice on the 62.

yeah thanks mate, I'm sure they both dope as hell, been holding back on one since they came out its just a whole lot of money to part with for one toy, wen if i got a z2 then wud leave xtra cash for another turntable and maybe something else , decisions decisions!!!

Guest petesasqwax

There's no way I could ever justify spending that on a mixer. If I was in the market I'd get a Z2 over those 2, definitely... but I'd actually be more likely to get another 05 and couple it with the A6 because Vestax is just how I roll ;)

• Like 1

was guna do just that myself pete, get an old skool mixer but, want a newer one more i think, just want one to set up with my 1210s, they just sat they doin nothing. i am tempted to get a z2 plus another pdx3000, can the z2 hav innos put in the ups??

Yeah, you get mini-innos in the Z2 all round and they can all be switched straight for Inno PNPs.

I totally concede the Z2 isn't as good as the Ranes, but it's about a third of the price, very well laid out and so far even pretty hard used older examples are still holding up.

I kind of see DVS mixers as disposable as the software they run. I buy analogue mixers to keep for ever and digital/DVS mixers until they are inevitably replaced or made redundant. Always bearing this in mind when spending my money.

Guest petesasqwax

maybe it's because I've been analogue only for so long, but I kind of rule out DVS mixers completely for me for that very reason

I put a pnp in ma 05 jam. Its lovely to cut with now and its remarkably quieter. Id go for the z2 mate. Not just saying it cos its ni. Bear in mind you'll probably want remix decks which

Means you'll want a f1. Unless u can map machine for that?

Guest petesasqwax

ah, man - I'll be the first to admit that there's nothing wrong with my 05 fader but every 6 months or so i start hankering after an inno...

Guest petesasqwax

ah, dude - that's dangerous talk! might need to come up with a little extra cash for the audio upgrades and sneak an Inno onto the list...

Guest rasteri

I've had an inno in the shop DJM800 for months now and it turns even it into an epic scratch mixer.

I had it in my 07 for a while but it wasn't "better enough" so I just put a lag-modded PCV back in

Guest rasteri

it's the "better enough" thing that makes me hold off.

You can make a Vestax PCV fader 99% as good as an inno by doing this (mostly copied from a post I made on this subject a month ago) :

1. Dismantle fader as much as you can (ideally you want to separate the metal bars from the wiper)

2. Immerse all fader components in warm water with a TINY drop of washing up liquid for about 30 mins, brushing all contact areas with a clean toothbrush

3. Immerse all fader components in isopropyl alcohol for 30 mins, again brushing with a toothbrush

4. VERY SLIGHTLY compress the metal contacts so they apply less friction to the carbon tracks

5. Put fader back together, with one or more washers behind the rubber stoppers (you might need to experiment with how many to put on each side, ericuk had a guide on this somewhere I think?)

6. Use deoxit d100 to lube the metal rails and carbon tracks

But yeah, if you can't be arsed doing all that the innofader is a fine choice

An all in one solution like a 62 or Z2 is pretty handy if you are constantly moving your set-up around, BUT if you are not fussed about portability of your setup i think there no reason not to accumulate the bits you want (second hand or not) in their own dedicated boxes - you can actually get a bit of a better setup potentially too .... Mixer, 3rd party fader, DVS box, reloop neon or dicers, multi Fx box , the best part is you can upgrade or swap in / out additional bits as you need em or if they break. If it hadn't been taing me ages to set-up/pack-up at gigs i'd still be rocking that (cheap) setup.

Think I'm goin wi the z2 purely so I hav nuff cash left for another t-table and watever else I fancy plus I can finally try out traktor too..

• Like 1

An all in one solution like a 62 or Z2 is pretty handy if you are constantly moving your set-up around, BUT if you are not fussed about portability of your setup i think there no reason not to accumulate the bits you want (second hand or not) in their own dedicated boxes - you can actually get a bit of a better setup potentially too .... Mixer, 3rd party fader, DVS box, reloop neon or dicers, multi Fx box , the best part is you can upgrade or swap in / out additional bits as you need em or if they break. If it hadn't been taing me ages to set-up/pack-up at gigs i'd still be rocking that (cheap) setup.

Totally agree with you on this mate, it's horses for courses.

I'm really into dedicated hardware for software... maybe it's because I learnt most things on hardware or maybe I'm too lazy to learn anything else, but either way it's my preference. As such, I never really used any of Traktor's features outside of the two virtual record players, but once I had the Z2 I used looping and cueing and FX, etc.

If I was battling, playing gigs or even just regularly mixing at home, I'd definitely go the DVS mixer route. Or at least get an X1 to do all the mundane stuff that the Z2 does, even then though it really is nice just plugging a mixer with a single USB and it's your interface, cues, loading, etc. I guess it really all depends on how you intend to use DVS and other priorities.

It's funny how since the digital DJ explosion, there's every option for every person, in every circumstance. But despite manufacturers telling us we need it all, one of the most important things now is figuring out what you actually need and how you are realistically going to use it.

• Like 1

Guest rasteri

completely offtopic but the blatantly ripped of sources for my post were :

this ericuk video -

experiment with how many washers to add before you replace the rails, bizarrely sometimes you need a different number of washers on each side.

Also steve's post here - http://www.digitalvertigo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=35439&p=361768

I'd never thought to wash a fader with water but it totally works for any water-soluble dirt, the dishsoap should catch anything fat-soluble and washing it afterwards in isopropyl alcohol should catch anything alcohol-soluble and also get rid of any dishsoap residue.