Noob question about using UP faders

iexist

I've never really incorporated using the volume faders in my scratches. Would like to start learning how and when to use them.

I'm just wondering the correct settings or method for doing so..

Do most DJs keep the contour soft for fading or are all faders set to do hard cuts?

Depends on if you want a faded cut or a sharp one. The magic for me is a curve sharp enough to chop a sound but still soft enough to create a fade... aka the 06 line fader. I'm still learning how to use the cross fader, let alone the line fader :) I'm sure it helps if your a hamster scratcher

▲▲ used to hammer the uppers in the early days. I remember seeing akkabe flaring on em on the left. Dont think it was long after jam had em sussed. Id also say drumming with em sharpened us up with em.but long before that we used to only touch the right upfader thinkin we was qbert on the summit. U remember that jam! I actually started my scratch journey with the right upfader!

Yep, I started on the right line switch... My right hand on the rekkid days r gone tho even tho it's my natural side... Left fo life... I like using the left up fader on reverse too, cos the reverse button is so close by it allows u to turn it on n off quite quickly

Like others have said it all about the sweet spot between sharp & gradual. The 08 upfaders are really good for that and the 07 and 06 as eric has mentioned. The TTM57 upfaders are way too gradual.

I try to learn versions of most combos on the up faders, with the allowance that you can't achieve the same speed due to the increased cut-out time.

• Like 1

Guest Symatic

I used to do flares that i could fade up and down by using the ups. Im a bit shit at em now. But it was still on a normal curve (technics mixer/xone02/ttm56)

I used to do flares that i could fade up and down by using the ups. Im a bit shit at em now. But it was still on a normal curve (technics mixer/xone02/ttm56)

I find the Rane faders (set to smooth/progressive) really good for doing single click flares that fade in or out. I think it's the combo of the smooth fade with the shorter travel end to end.

I used to like the in between cut/fade everyone here is favouring when I had a 707, but then I got a 56 and that wasn't possible any more. Now I've got the Scratchbox, I've finally got up faders I can set to any position/curve I like but I kinda got used to the 56 (limitations included) I still sort of prefer the 56 ones.

I will say though that when Rane mixers became the norm in DJ battles, a lot of DJ's up faders cuts got a bit worse.

The only thing I don't go for is up faders set as sharp as the cross fader - I can actually do slightly better/faster continuous single click flares this way (weirdly) but I always think that when you're listening to cuts, the variation between sharp cuts and fades is preferable.

Guest rasteri

I liked the 06 ups, they were perfect for me.

My OG 07 I'm not too keen on, it seems like it is permanently a "semi-sharp" curve and all that the knob on the front does is move the position of it. Sucks for mixing.

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

^ I have my OG 07 ups with the curve on at between 9 and 10 o clock and they are almost like the best up curve switch position on the 06 and good to cut on. Also, i think the rane 56 with the curve on slow is also very good to cut on. Maybe it's cos i cut hamster that it's better for me than you regular cutting jerks.

One thing i'm suprised no one has mentioned is that you don't have to fade an up all the way down to get a decent cut on it, just til it's inaudible. Try it out doooooooooooooodzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

zzz

zzzz zzzzz

z zzzzz

• 3 weeks later...

Like others have said it all about the sweet spot between sharp & gradual. The 08 upfaders are really good for that and the 07 and 06 as eric has mentioned. The TTM57 upfaders are way too gradual.

I try to learn versions of most combos on the up faders, with the allowance that you can't achieve the same speed due to the increased cut-out time.

Seconded, the 08 is mean for up fader adjustments...

Something I hate about the raness are they're unable to have sharp cut at the top?!

Never understood that, when every other setting is possible...

Annoys the shit out of me.

Only ever had up faders without any adjustment on mixers when I first started scratching ... E, the kids of today got it good with all these clever mixer settings ... Anyone seen my flat cap and pipe?.