Where's the turntables?

iexist

I'm a bit out of the loop as of late so apologies if this is a dated topic.

But what's the future for turntables? I see all these pioneer and reloop brands coming out but I don't feel confident with going with these manufacturers.

I'm posting this topic as I am STILL trying to find another PDX 2000 MK1 to match my current table and there is just nothing out there.

No more true turntables?

Reloop/Pioneer is the new technics?

Anyone care to share some insight?

I really like the look of the reloop tables with the glowing buttons. My only reservation is that I play a lot in nightclubs. And as any one who watched the old dmcs back in the day will remember banging a deck will produce a kick type sound. Well you do that on a big soundsystem and u get a decent boomph. I like to hammer my pads if im in the right mood and Im worried that everytime I trigger a cue ill get a complimentay kick. Whats next? Akai sampler with laggy bands and a pool cue!!

If it wasnt for the ultra pitch id only go with the 12's for what I do.

Edited by dj justin time

I really like the look of the reloop tables with the glowing buttons. My only reservation is that I play a lot in nightclubs. And as any one who watched the old dmcs back in the day will remember banging a deck will produce a kick type sound. Well you do that on a big soundsystem and u get a decent boomph. I like to hammer my pads if im in the right mood and Im worried that everytime I trigger a cue ill get a complimentay kick. Whats next? Akai sampler with laggy bands and a pool cue!!

If it wasnt for the ultra pitch id only go with the 12's for what I do.

You wont get any noise while using the pads because they're for DVS timecode cue control and the laptop is reading the timecode signal only and converting it to your track output sound thus you are removing any feedback, needle dust noise or bass from the platter. The timecode is just telling the laptop what part of a track to play at any time. If you were playing regular records then yeah same as any deck you'll get noise from the platter but you won't be hitting the midi buttons.

• Like 2

Guest Symatic

yeah ethanol's right - the fact you'd have to be using the buttons along with DVS means the analog-world problem of deck rumbles and knocks wouldnt be there. at worst you'd make your needle skip or interfere with the signal enough that the DVS struggled to read the timecode temporarily, but I doubt you'd get that much of a problem with them.

The main thing i'd be thinking about as far as buying box-fresh turntables would be reliability and spare parts. thats why technics were so nice - reliable and an abundance of spares.

theres a fair few of the "oem" turntables from reloop and stanton which are all rebranded versions of the same design, and they are solid decks. I've heard of a few people having issues with their digital outputs but other than that I cant think of any real problems with them.

Ive never seen the new pioneers so i can't comment on em, I've heard they might be a variation on the OEM design (anyone confirm this?).

I hope the manufacturers can keep churning out decent dj decks that sound good too, like the technics. It seems like a good way to get 2 markets covered at once - have a super reliable, silent motor and good tone arm and feet/chassis so hi fi nerds and DJs are all happy :)

Guest rasteri

The DJ shop I used to work at has a PDX2000 MK1 lying around somewhere, AFAIK it works.

I could ask them how much they want for it (not much I imagine)?

I'm beginning to find the +/-8% pitch on my trusty old 1200Mk2's are becoming a bit limited, and miss the days of having up to +/-50% with the TTXs, so I am also beginning to consider getting new turntables with a larger pitch range. I had a look at the Reloops, and the reviews seem positive. But I'm also concerned about the reliability of the super-OEMs, after having been burnt once with the TTXs.

The petition to get the 1200's manufactured again looks interesting, with the latest reply from the CEO last month https://www.change.org/p/panasonic-company-matsushita-corporate-re-introduction-of-legendary-technics-turntables/u/9314791

Who knows, I might be able to get my hands on a box fresh M5G some day...

Guest Symatic

If no one else is i'd be interrsted in the pdx rasteri- i need sonething to put backtracks mod into :)

If no one else is i'd be interrsted in the pdx rasteri- i need sonething to put backtracks mod into :)