The Fresherthans (Vekked + Brace) IDA World Final Routine

Vekked

I thought it was wicked from start to finish. I wouldn't change a thing about it.

Obviously it's tougher to win a battle with a routine like that, because it's a no bullshit musical routine, but I would much rather see/hear DJ crews doing that kind of thing than more traditional style routines.

• Like 1

I thought it was wicked from start to finish. I wouldn't change a thing about it.

Obviously it's tougher to win a battle with a routine like that, because it's a no bullshit musical routine, but I would much rather see/hear DJ crews doing that kind of thing than more traditional style routines.

Thanks Steve :d

Yea absolutely gonna be tough to win with a routine like this. We're pretty stoked with getting 2nd in both DMC and IDA cuz going into it we knew full well it wasn't a "battle" routine. But that's sort of the point, we wanted to make scratch music rather than try and do what we perceived would win. I'm happy we stuck with our guns rather than following what other team routines have been doing in recent years. We didn't wanna do that synchronized scratching/setup swapping/turntable covers of songs kinda thing.

• Like 2

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

Sweet. I've been looking forward to this since you said about it in Luton.

Top stuff. Very 'The Slew' sounding. You guys should Koala-nap Kid Koala and make some tunes. You're all Canadian, he shouldn't mind.

• Like 2

Fucking love this. Like Steve said, wouldn't change a thing.

I can watch this again and again or just listen to the audio and still sounds great. IMO this is exactly what's been missing from team battles for quite a few years now... and to some extent battling in general. I think there's a hell of a lot of technical skill in this, it's just deployed when it's required musically rather than cramming it in for the sake of it (reminds of Woody in this way). Both times I've watched this, it's flown by really quickly and it feels like it's over too quickly... I haven't said that about a battle routine in so, so long.

Guest petesasqwax

yeah, absolutely superb. out of interest - are the backing track elements things you've produced yourselves or existing beats that are in the public realm, as it were?

Thanks for all the kind words guys :d

yeah, absolutely superb. out of interest - are the backing track elements things you've produced yourselves or existing beats that are in the public realm, as it were?

1st beat produced entirely by Brace. It's actually a song from his upcoming album that we remixed into a routine. It turned out quite a bit different from the original but the beat itself is from his song "Do It" which he'll be releasing.

2nd beat was produced by "us", aka Brace sat at the MPC and I kept telling him to add stuff or stuff sounded wack and banged the odd pad. He did the actual production and I moaned about things I didn't like until he revised it enough times that I stfu.

3rd beat is a routine I was working on for solo stuff. The drums are just a break I looped up, then we put an 808 on it and EQ and stuff to beef it up. The guitar cuts are from hall of the mountain king of course.

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

Thanks for all the kind words guys :d

1st beat produced entirely by Brace. It's actually a song from his upcoming album that we remixed into a routine. It turned out quite a bit different from the original but the beat itself is from his song "Do It" which he'll be releasing.

2nd beat was produced by "us", aka Brace sat at the MPC and I kept telling him to add stuff or stuff sounded wack and banged the odd pad. He did the actual production and I moaned about things I didn't like until he revised it enough times that I stfu.

3rd beat is a routine I was working on for solo stuff. The drums are just a break I looped up, then we put an 808 on it and EQ and stuff to beef it up. The guitar cuts are from hall of the mountain king of course.

you didn't write Peer Gynt Suite?? FFS, man - RAISE YO' GAME!

it's an interesting insight into how things like this work these days. is it common practice for people to create bespoke routines, thanks to the advent of DVS? It's no different to people getting dubplates etc. pressed up, I appreciate, albeit cue points change the game a little from those days.

bottom line is - it sounds dope. I have no idea what the criteria for judging it would be, but it makes excellent entertainment, demonstrates good skills and is above all immensely listenable

I really enjoyed it. As a musical composition I think the battle lyrics at the beginning detract from the overall piece, but in the context I can see why you went with that.

100% agree. The battle lyrics are purely contextual, the actual lyrics in Brace's version are much different.

it's an interesting insight into how things like this work these days. is it common practice for people to create bespoke routines, thanks to the advent of DVS? It's no different to people getting dubplates etc. pressed up, I appreciate, albeit cue points change the game a little from those days.

It's definitely common for people to make custom routines nowadays. I don't really see what we did as a "custom routine" in the same sense that a lot of routines are custom routines, though. Like we made it pretty much in a traditional way, lots of trial and error and digging, and recording/critiquing. Our process was pretty much the same as you would have for making a scratch track Return of the DJ style or something.

A lot of routines these days are sort of reverse-engineered from a beat/track that already exists, and they just make a scratch version using the stems. I hate that personally... it's like they take an already dope song and scratch the individual sounds live, and when you listen to it, it still might sound dope, but the reason it sounds dope has nothing to do with the scratching and everything to do with the song already being a good song in the first place before it was touched. I dunno if that makes sense.

• Like 1

thanks for all the kind words though guys, never sure how people are gonna receive stuff until it's out there... I'm really proud of this routine though, pushed me out of my comfort zone a bit, made me sit back a little bit and play my part as opposed to the usual hardcore solo scratching in your face stuff.

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

It's definitely common for people to make custom routines nowadays. I don't really see what we did as a "custom routine" in the same sense that a lot of routines are custom routines, though. Like we made it pretty much in a traditional way, lots of trial and error and digging, and recording/critiquing. Our process was pretty much the same as you would have for making a scratch track Return of the DJ style or something.

A lot of routines these days are sort of reverse-engineered from a beat/track that already exists, and they just make a scratch version using the stems. I hate that personally... it's like they take an already dope song and scratch the individual sounds live, and when you listen to it, it still might sound dope, but the reason it sounds dope has nothing to do with the scratching and everything to do with the song already being a good song in the first place before it was touched. I dunno if that makes sense.

I would agree with all of that and, for me personally, the fact that you used the same process as making a Return of the DJ track etc. is the reason why it works so well as a routine: turn the visuals, forget that it's being performed live and it's still dope.