3RD PLACE SCRATCH-OFF RESULT.....

The winner of that battle is.....

Chinmachine

Congratulations man! Commiserations to Jimmy. It was a close one!

Here's the judges' picks: -

Chile

Chinmachine

Sparky T

Chinmachine

Pete Sasqwax

Chinmachine

Jon1st

Jimmy Penguin

Ritchie Ruftone

Jimmy Penguin

I'll be posting out your records later today and passing on Chin's details to the other sponsors so they can send out their prizes.

• Like 1

some feedback from the judges would have been nice..

Yo! Everyone in this battle is better than me at cutting so in my opinion I'm not in a position to give specific technical pointers but all 4 finalist videos have been to a crazy good standard. I've based my judging on a few criteria but it's usually on who I like more in terms of patterns/flow, but even then it's been difficult to judge as the standard is so high. This was my favourite of your entries in this comp mate, you smashed it.

My comment to Steve applies to both battles: I almost wanted to give up judging the DV, it was so difficult. Jimmy your style has progressed a lot, and I had to watch both your set and Chin's a lot of times, but in the end I gave it to Chin for a couple of combos that sounded very funky to my ears. However you did a great job !

Both you guys have killer cuts and are doing stuff i havent thought of trying. Jim you got strong technique, very sharp cuts, and your flow is distinctive. in terms of constructive crit, sometimes the way some changes are put together sounds a bit abstract to me. its only in a few parts. this is just my opinion, and I wouldnt change how you do things, as its part of what makes you different to everyone else. i can imagine IQ cutting something like that in the past and the headwarping changes he has now coming about as a result of finding ways to clarify a distinctive flow to the point that it forces the listener to alter their perspective as to what makes sense. hopefully that makes sense in itself, difficult sometimes to write about this stuff.

Chins flow is a bit more easily digestible to me, and the main factor for me choosing chin is that i thought there was a bit more variation and a good balance of wavy cuts along side sharp cuts.

Guest Symatic

Chin has his own style that makes cuts that would otherwise only have their speed as a crowd pleasing aspect. He has a lot o speed but also definition and pitch that jumps out.

Jimmys style is really unique but in this vid he had a couple of scrappy bits and no defined ending which is what bumped chin up for me.

But thats me really trying to critique them both, bith much better scratchers than me!