The Ruck is back - Scratchgod.com

Vekked

Guest petesasqwax

On June 22, 2007, The Ruckazoid said this:
trust me, mp3s, nerds, its all going to a close.

yall had a nice 3 year run, but physical product sales are about to go up for those in the know, and the live shows with the real shit are about to bang harder than any of this shit your pushing on here.

*tumbleweed*

On June 22, 2007, wakka said this:
After all your appearances on the internet, I've learned one thing from you. When it comes to you Mr. Rucker, when it's all said and done... more is said, than done.
  • Like 1

Guest Symatic

that skratchworx thread was amazing.... i wasnt really online much back then so missed most of that shit but damn thats some epic shit.

but yeah, it would be great to see ruck or d post some NXT LVL shit with the C1, who knows, maybe someone would be up for kickstarting a C2 project or something. I dunno i know nothing about "big business", but this kind onf thing, niche stuff, is what kickstarter is for isnt it?

the reloop deck is insane money and only seems to have midi buttons that you'd use for cue points and so on, so I dont fully get it, maybe im missing something, but the C1 does have loads of potential, and it is built really well in general, but theres some annoying things about it that could be refined.

like the platter seems to like to settle in certain positions, like you stop it, and it will drift to the nearest resting point as if its still being affected by the motor's magnets. its a little weird and annoying if you do some motor off thing that ends really subtly and then drags back randomly at the end.

also starting the platter after motor off has been pushed is annoying as you have to disengage the motor off button again before pushing start.

i've been thinking about getting a pdx, chaging the body for a wooden one, and installnig backtacks midi mod and a bunch of custom buttons..... could be dope but it would probably be a simpler version of the c1.

thing is, you kind of need a third hand a lot of the time for this, which is why the fretless fader was a good idea, although then you have to alter your fader position all the time which i would find tricky.

anyway, all i wanted to say was it would be dope to see ruck do some stuff on the c1 to educate us mortals, especially after he's written so much about it.

As I was saying in another thread, all you need is a turntable with midi input (as per Paul's current spaceship). He's midi-mapped the keys on a keyboard controller to re-trigger the sound each time and well as change platter speed - having the ability to use short sounds and always include the attack of the sound make all the difference musically. Makes it much less of a three hand job too.

• Like 1

It's possible to mimic a C1. But the stronger motor of the C1 does make a difference IMO. I'd like to test this. But I failed to buy one of these midi-kits that one of these Midi-Pdx-Mod-Guys (don't recall his name) was selling.

Guest Symatic

Maybe the motor would be better but the platter is heavier on a oem, so im guessing it would be harder to speed up and slow down quickly. The c1 does seem to have a better motor than a pdx yeah

Guest rasteri

Yeah - turntables use the motor's torque to slow down the platter as well as speed it up, so more torque = faster speed changes.

Although responsiveness may be another issue to overcome - TTXs for example have the same amount of torque as SuperOEMs, but the circuitry only checks the pitch fader about once a second so it'd be useless for MIDI modding.

Guest rasteri

Backtrack's digipot approach will work on any turntable, not just the PDX2000. It's just a matter of how well the controller circuitry responds to quick speed changes.

I'd build a SuperOEM C1 but I don't have a SuperOEM table to test it with. Spose I could have a go at a technics C1 though.

From the very first time I saw the C1, I couldn't help but think of it as the "retarted's midi keyboard". Seriously, there is absolutely nothing evolutionary about it, besides the MIDI IN port. And it is completely irrelevant anymore, because of Traktor/Serato.

And by the way, that MIDI IN option is sported on the PDX3000. At around 1/5 of the price, 4/5 of the size and 3/5 of the weight. Minus those little buttons adding up on the C1 nothing else but overall maintenance cost.

From the very first time I saw the C1, I couldn't help but think of it as the "retarted's midi keyboard". Seriously, there is absolutely nothing evolutionary about it, besides the MIDI IN port. And it is completely irrelevant anymore, because of Traktor/Serato.

For me there is a big difference between C1 and a midi keyboard and C1 and using serato. The whole point of it, to me at least, is that you could scratch and play notes at the same time with any tone live and as such melodically freestyle, effecting the notes as you play them with turntablist techniques, only having to prepare a sound loop as your sound source, whereas in dvs you'd have to prepare individual notes in a sequence and with a midi keyboard you can't use turntablist techniques: neither work in the same way.

• Like 1

I think nothing is getting released cos the market for it is tiny and of those people, a bunch would just pirate it.

The Ruck can make more coin by putting on some leather pants and a sequinned glove and doing a bad MJ impersonation over some wanky dance music than he ever would from releasing a scratch album made with the Controller One. Also, you have to factor in the cost of having a third arm grafted on to your body so that the C1 becomes usable as an instrument. That was the idea of having a footpedal, but that was never going to work as you just don't have that level of fine control with your feet. Or maybe Ricci has spent 7½ years developing very fine angular control of his plates of meat and he's about to blow us away with his next level flute sample manipulation.

Personally I don't give a shit about anything he does and haven't for years, but I like making posts about him just because I know he Googles his own name a lot and he might end up signing up and posting a massive wall of dog shit that will brighten up one of my days for 5 minutes. Dood is probably too busy breaking open those fortune cookies he stole from outside a Chinese takeaway so he has more "wise sayings" to tweet though, but I'm trying my best to troll the cunt.

Jon has a good point. Considering <50 ppl on earth have it, we've seen some sick stuff between Teeko, Woody, Brace, Celsius, John Beez, etc, considering such a small sample size. Probably a couple others who have done cool stuff with it but I don't go out of my way to see all the C1 vids out there. There's an unfortunate number of people who own them and do nothing but normal ahh/fresh cuts on them tho, or wack tone shit.

Brace does crazy next level shit with it (not just the stuff he does in his videos/stuff he can do on the PDX-3000 as well, he has innovated a bunch of different ways of using it and making it practical that the creators probably never intended/thought of), and he has had success with making and performing music with it. Even if you just take him and Teeko as examples of people using it effectively and having success with music, that's like 2 out of 40 people who are doing things with it. A 5% success rate among people who own an instrument is way higher than any other instrument. There might be other dudes who are using C1 as one of their main instruments and actively making music who I'm not aware of too.

Steve brings up a good point with "I think nothing is getting released cos the market for it is tiny and of those people, a bunch would just pirate it."

I think anyone who makes music directed squarely at the scratch scene is pretty doomed right now for this reason, but it's not like it's the only avenue for releasing music made with scratching. Brace is killing it with instrumental/scratch heavy music, doing festivals all over and has won some really big music awards, but the vast majority of people who listen to his music are not DJs/scratchers/don't care how it's being made.

• Like 3

Jon has a good point. Considering <50 ppl on earth have it, we've seen some sick stuff between Teeko, Woody, Brace, Celsius, John Beez, etc, considering such a small sample size. Probably a couple others who have done cool stuff with it but I don't go out of my way to see all the C1 vids out there. There's an unfortunate number of people who own them and do nothing but normal ahh/fresh cuts on them tho, or wack tone shit.

Didn't Chinmachine buy two off a guy who was just using them to play records and do conventional mixing, not even scratching?

I really want to see Ricci kill it on it, and more from Teeko too.

I know he gets a bad rep for his online persona, but Ricci's a beast.

I'm not really into the lyrical content of this but thought it was dope:

For me there is a big difference between C1 and a midi keyboard and C1 and using serato. The whole point of it, to me at least, is that you could scratch and play notes at the same time with any tone live and as such melodically freestyle, effecting the notes as you play them with turntablist techniques, only having to prepare a sound loop as your sound source, whereas in dvs you'd have to prepare individual notes in a sequence and with a midi keyboard you can't use turntablist techniques: neither work in the same way.

In Traktor and any other openly mappable software you could MIDI map any Pitch shift values on a LPD8 or Dicer, put it next to a PDX3000 and have a C1 clone for around 500 euros, brand new. With Serato it's not possible but with other software it can be.

To me, that C1 is just an overglorified, super rare turntable that looks really good in a setup. Still, it's running street price is absolutely out of this world and not make it worth the investment.

The real point of this thread though is this, as Steve put it:

Personally I don't give a shit about anything he does and haven't for years, but I like making posts about him just because I know he Googles his own name a lot and he might end up signing up and posting a massive wall of dog shit that will brighten up one of my days for 5 minutes. Dood is probably too busy breaking open those fortune cookies he stole from outside a Chinese takeaway so he has more "wise sayings" to tweet though, but I'm trying my best to troll the cunt.