Teaching people how to scratch

mfsop

Teaching might be a bit too momentous but whatever. I'm sure everyone has had friends over at their house who were interested in trying out the turntables, so I wondered if you have any "tricks".

Aside from telling people to put the record hand at about 9 'o clock and not on the side and not pinching the pinky under the face plate for a stable feel, here's some advice that has worked better than explaining the techniques in a theoretical way:

Forward scratch: Hula Girl dance movement (both hands going in a clock-wise direction)

Backward scratch: Sweeping bread crumbs into a small pile

Chirp: Penguin flapper movement

Maybe nobody has anything to add to this but I'm hoping for some funny ideas! :d

i wouldnt attempt the forward scratch or any fader combos until youve covered baby, scribble, uzi, forward/reverse/clover tear and the tip scratch.. this usually gets them more interested if you can present those faderless combos in an engaging way.. and then that will help them to keep going through the initial frustrations of using both fader with the record

• Like 1

Haha, fair enough - I maybe should have elaborated a little more that I wasn't about serious teaching. Last week at the Scratch Buffet session there was an open deck for random people to try out scratching: quite a few elder men, grandma[ster flash]s and kids which was fun to watch. And most of them also wanted to try something with the fader.

The Chirp/Penguin thing has worked for some friends that have already been deejaying for years but didn't know much about scratching. ;)

For someone serious about it, I agree of course with starting without the fader or with backspinning / looping as it gives you some feel in both hands and forces you to do something in time.

Anyway, the whole thread may have been a bit of a brain fart on my end and should have been placed into another section. :d

• 1 year later...

I remember one Turntable TV video of a black dude who visited qbert and yogafrog at their house. The dude knows nothning about scratching and qbert says to him "move this slow (pointing at a record), and move this fast (pointing at the crossfader)". This is pretty what cutting is all about. :d

I remember one Turntable TV video of a black dude who visited qbert and yogafrog at their house. The dude knows nothning about scratching and qbert says to him "move this slow (pointing at a record), and move this fast (pointing at the crossfader)". This is pretty what cutting is all about. :d

DJ Fat Blubber Belly?

Guest broke

DJ Fat Blubber Belly?

That's the guy. IMMSMC, he had a body odor problem that day.