What's you all time best UK Hip Hop track?

DJ Rock Well

• 2 weeks later...
Guest petesasqwax

anything by Milli Vanilli and the Wee Papa Girl Rappers

and this

Ha! Excellent to see Mink mentioned in this thread. He's a very good, long-time friend of mine (we used to be in a DJ crew before he got family'd up) who I saw just before Christmas last year. I have about a dozen tracks of his that he never released somewhere.

Guest petesasqwax

Can't believe nobody has said MUD Fam yet. Shouts to Phil for mentioning Skinny (particularly the Skitz track with him and Rodney P, that 12" was HUGE). I'd say probably something off MUD Files or the EP on Jazz Fudge/K'boro. I'd put Task Force's Jazz Fudge release up there with their best work too. the words "scratches by Mr Thing" on a record go a long way to making it a contender

• 3 weeks later...

From the earlier days of uk rap, battlecreek brawl by Gunshot was phenomenal as was airwave hijack by hijack (as well as pretty much any London Posse track from that period) but the tracks that really got me into the next wave of uk hip hop in the late 90s were Earth Rulers by Phi Life Cipher and Twilight of the Gods by Skitz.

Guest petesasqwax

Earth Rulers was good but it was the alphabet one that did it for me with Phi Life. I can't remember the name of it but Life and Si Philli went back and forth and it had the line "I bounce over beats like jeeps do over battle zones" - hefty track!

Twilight Of The Gods was immense when that came out. Beat was spot on, all the emcees killed it AND it had sick cuts. How many 12"s were there like that at the time? Not just UK 12"s, I mean 12"s full stop

Cave man was def an early influnce (already mentioned) .

This sprung to mind and hasn;t been mentioned yet .. ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCCkN-Z2hWI

BTW anyone else do the Scorzyzee kickstarter ?

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

I didn't know he had one.

The P Brothers in general. I was all over this when it came out.

This is f. dope, too, but all the copies online seem to be overly distorted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A8R90GJ-_g

Assembly Worker Matt got all the P Brothers' MC kids down for a big show at the Winter Gardens in Margate at the end of a week of music workshops one school holiday ages ago. They were all dope and Scorzyzee did a flipping great freestyle featuring loads amusing lyrics about Eastenders.

• Like 1

I've held off this because I'll struggle to pick. Let me think and I'll come back. I need to really condense things to a shortlist. It's going to be mainly 1999-2006 stuff probably, encapsulating the end of the pre-grime era and then the post-grime era.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

My knowledge in this area is extremely thin, but I really like these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T6-AHl024Q

Also a tune called You Better Change by Binary Brothers feat Braintax, El Eye, Junior Disprol and Sir Beanz OBE is dope as fuck, but I can't find it anywhere online.

Few more recent tunes I like:

( I mostly like grime)

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

And after thinking about this since this thread came about i still think Money Mad is better slightly :p It sounded more English than DD of R to me as a wee un'.

Plus screw everyone for not liking First Down more ;)