Serato DJ - anyone use it?

djdiggla

Apparently Scratch Live (and Itch for that matter) is now discontinued and replaced with SDJ. In addition the Serato Flip plugin was released for SDJ. So what's the deal with SDJ? Is it free? I'll give it a shot if you just have to have the hardware but no way am I gonna pay for a replacement to Scratch Live. I'm guessing my SL1 box authorizes it but just wondered if anyone has DL'd it and knows.

I think you need sl2 or above to make it work mate. the software is free if you own rane hardware, just like scratch live, but some expansion fx packs you have to pay for. I've not tried downloading flip so i'm not sure if it's a free add on or something you have to pay to use. It's a really interesting concept and would save a lot of time if you like making chop based edits of tracks.

I use serato dj. It's free to download but you need the right box/mixer for compatability - i think sl1 and ttm57 have been left out (and maybe sl2).

I found the tiny bit of latency in Live that was making cutting a chore seemed to go away with DJ , but thats probably computer specific and everyone i've told hasn't really felt that. Tbh i still just use it for vinyl emulation and the basic cue/loop stuff . Thats kinda improved a bit - 8 cue points now and the saved loops layout is much better. I've been told that DJ is mising some features that were in Live - the only one that springs to mind is the 33/45 buttons have gone in internl mode. I know other have mentioned missing stuff , but not stuf i use...

Yeah, I've used SeratoDJ for a few projects and it's great - the pitching and pitch locking is LOADS better, but I use internal mode a lot when I DJ and it works in a slightly different way from Scratch Live so I'm not ready to make the jump just yet.

i have sl2 and haven't been able to get SDJ working, even after talking to a rep on the forum.

Although that was in the first month of release, so maybe it will now.

I do use SDJ it with my pioneer ddj sr which i use for gigs when i'm not arsed bringing my decks. although i haven't really explored it too much to notice any mad differences...

Yeah, I've used SeratoDJ for a few projects and it's great - the pitching and pitch locking is LOADS better, but I use internal mode a lot when I DJ and it works in a slightly different way from Scratch Live so I'm not ready to make the jump just yet.

O rly?

How so?

In both you can change the pitch range of the internal deck. In Scratch Live, when you switch ranges the track will remain at the same bpm and give you an extended range so you can pitch the track up further - with the on screen pitch fader moving to the equivalent position on the new pitch range. In DJ, the pitch will jump to the same physical position - the same as if you were to increase the pitch range on a stanton deck for example, so the pitch will change straight away (e.g. if you're at plus 8 on -8/+8 it will jump to plus 10 when you switch to -10/+10), rather than maintaining your current bpm and giving you more room to pitch up or down like in Scratch Live.

I like increasing the range if i'm currently playing a song on internal and decide i need a little bit more room on the pitch range - say if +8 isn't quite enough to make the next transition work and last time I checked I couldn't do that in serato dj

Yeah I think I'm screwed with SL1 on SDJ but hoping it will work with my VCI300 which might make me actually want to use the thing. I emailed em to confirm what to use for each.

dl'd SDJ and it deleted all my crates and subcrates. Was emailing back and forth with the tech-help guys and managed to recover the main crates but not the subcrates. Pissed me off endlessly. Thankfully I had taken a few photos of my crates' contents, so after a few hours I had put them back together again. Overall the setup looks decent though in SDJ. Just wish they would providef the FX "for free" like NI does.

Ok wait--are yall using SeratoDJ or SeratoDJ INTRO? I'm looking at the VCI-400 out of curiosity and it seems like the 8-pads are nerfed to 4, efx limited and possibly only 2 of 4 decks usable?! Can that be fucking true? WTF? If that's true I'm gonna be so pissed I might just switch to Traktor. Fucking cheap assholes.

Use SDJ with a Terminal Mix 2 and SL2. Both works fine and i like the software. they've just added the midi panel back in so you can use your own midi controller for mapping and such.

never had any crate issues switching between the 2 but it's always best to backup your _serato_ folder to make sure.

Ok wait--are yall using SeratoDJ or SeratoDJ INTRO? I'm looking at the VCI-400 out of curiosity and it seems like the 8-pads are nerfed to 4, efx limited and possibly only 2 of 4 decks usable?! Can that be fucking true? WTF? If that's true I'm gonna be so pissed I might just switch to Traktor. Fucking cheap assholes.

I've been talking about serato dj :) I've only used it with the Rane/pioneer serato mixers

Oh yeah--forgot the rane and itch stuff (aside from the 400, SL1 and 57) get the free upgrade. Kinda balls on the 400. Dumb move IMO Vestax/Rane.