A-Train wishes he could play like Carl Cox

djdiggla

Carl Cox rules. I remember seeing him at The End. It's interesting someone as talented as A-Trak move from one end of the spectrum to the other. Suppose there is quite a few crossover turntablists / underground dance music people, but I always felt (perhaps wrongly) that they could never quite hang with the best in terms of track selection or depth of production etc.

• Like 1

Actually think this represents what a lot of DJs who have worked for a long time experience. Agree with Deft - Carl Cox is legendary.

The term DJ covers so many facettes its difficult to pick one you feel comfortable. Thus I feel A-Track summarized it quite nicely - depending on where, what, how and for whom you're "working" you have to look over the fence and seek inspiration in fields you previously may have thought little of.

Yeah it's interesting. I'm not a Cox fan personally, but I get what he was saying and can relate.

I think Atrack, Craze and Klever made it OK for hiphop DJs and turntablists to like electronic music in general and to feel alright just party rocking. I have long enjoyed both scenes but that was pretty rare. I joked with a fellow friend who like me enjoyed both how funny it was to see DJs (well known local turntablists) who had bashed the shit out of electronic music and "raver fags" then turn around and jump 100% on the bmore bandwagon. We thought that was pretty funny. But then there is also people like Aoki and Laidback Luke that make everyone look bad by fake mixing. I guess that's the nice thing about turntablism is it's a lot harder to get away with faking it (even tho there was that debate with Cash Money judging the DMCs)...

I just like to see people gettin busy... keep it moving... what I don't really enjoy is the hype DJ that is showing you the record and then dancing.

I like various styles of mixing. It's only really in recent years that it's gone downhill, with the advent of sync, cheap controllers, and the "producer masquerading as a DJ" shit role models that the scene is clogging up with wankers, making it a bit harder to find the good stuff.

• Like 1

I used to like dance music and hiphop back in the day before I got heavily into scratching so I like a lot of the crossover Djs like Atrak and Craze.

I am a lot less snobby now than I was back then too so I can hang with more of the commercial side of things a bit more and let shit ride for what it is.

I'd agree with that.

It's not often you see someone completely sum up your point of view so perfectly like that, but Babu totally hits the nail on the head. A dope beat is a dope beat no matter how you get there, but as 'turntablists' we're going to look at the button-pushing of style of DJing like, 'mehhh'...

Carl Cox is a boss though, it should be said. Dude was doing all-vinyl three and even four deck sets way back in the day. Also, he lives in the suburbs of Melbourne now, so Frankston represent!

• Like 1