N44-G stylus on Amazon (US)

I'm not sure how many of you are in the U.S, but I noticed Amazon has a ridiculous deal for Shure's n44-g replacement stylus.. 4 pack for $23. Though they are labeled as N44-GQ instead of G. Not sure if that means anything.

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-N44GQ-Replacement-Needle-4-Pack/dp/B0002E2Z7K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406563270&sr=8-1&keywords=n44-gq

Is it possible that they are not genuine?

By the way, how often do you guys change your stylus? Mine are like 7 years old but never really felt the need to replace them... :blink:

• Like 2

dunno about those stylus' as i have never used them. I use the Shure m447 carts with n447 stylus replacements as they are meant to be the best for scratchy times. i change mine around once a year. At that price I guess its worth risking a purchase for 4 stylus. amazon are usually good with returns too if it turns out to be poop

I currently use the N44-G stylus mounted on a M44-7 cart and based on my experience, it sticks just as good as the N44-7 stylus it replaced. They are definitely worthy for scratching.

Just wasn't sure if the ones on Amazon were of the same quality or not because of the crazy low price and slight difference in the naming scheme. I might give it a go anyways.

• Like 1

That is defo tempting. I've tried the G before but liked the 7 better. G sounds real nice tho.

I change about once a year. Sometimes every two years if I've not been practicing regularly.

Guest petesasqwax

how often do stylii need changing and how do you know when it does? I have stanton 500s on mine and always said I'd get m-447s when it died but it never really has. I think I replaced it once when I was a lot younger and managed to kill it in some random non-scratch related way, but other than that it's been good forever

this is suspiciously cheap.

But mysteriously another stylus of mine has been bent backwards, and i want to blame the housekeeper, maybe she was dusting the decks....

so i think i'm gonna buy em and try em. But i'll be getting them sent to ireland, as i can't get them sent here.

so if anyone gets them, could you mention here what they're like?

as i'll have to wait until christmas....

nice one moto, since you mentioned they work in m447 carts, i went ahead and bought some for taking to workshops in future.. i'll let you know if theyre fake if you havent already gone and bought some yourself

nice one moto, since you mentioned they work in m447 carts, i went ahead and bought some for taking to workshops in future.. i'll let you know if theyre fake if you havent already gone and bought some yourself

Cool, let us know when you get them. I opted for a single N447 stylus since I wanted a new one quick. The N44G's track really well at around 1.75~2.0 grams of weight on a straight arm. Pretty amazing. I was also able to confirm that Q is indeed placed after the model number for 4 packs, and Z for 12 packs.

how often do stylii need changing and how do you know when it does? I have stanton 500s on mine and always said I'd get m-447s when it died but it never really has. I think I replaced it once when I was a lot younger and managed to kill it in some random non-scratch related way, but other than that it's been good forever

Oh really? My first turntables came with 500s and after a while I've switched to Concordes - the tables weren't too good so I had a lot of weight on the needle (maybe 5g) and the 500s produced a lot of cue burns on the records, Concordes less but still a bit much. Now I'm using 44-7s for about ten years: much less wear on the record in my opinion.

I think your record collection deserves a change as you seem to have a lot of great records. :p

(For sampling you could still switch back to the 500s if that's the sound you want for your beats.)

I currently use the N44-G stylus mounted on a M44-7 cart and based on my experience, it sticks just as good as the N44-7 stylus it replaced. They are definitely worthy for scratching.

Same here, and I agree. I'm no crazy 300 BPM scratcher like some of the doods on here, but it seems to track as well as an N44-7 in my experience.

did anyone notice that it says:

"DJ, Gray, For Use With M44G Packaged 12 to a card - Must be ordered in Multiples of 12"

has anyone ordered them successfully? have they arrived? how many did you have to order?

"DJ, Gray, For Use With M44G Packaged 12 to a card - Must be ordered in Multiples of 12"

has anyone ordered them successfully? have they arrived? how many did you have to order?

I saw that. I was about to order some but after reading that bit decided against it.

I saw that. I was about to order some but after reading that bit decided against it.

yeah i'm tempted,as i can probably sell them for 20-25 dollars each down here, (the M447s cost the equivalent of 45-45 dollars here)

But i'll need someone to smuggle them in for me.

I think it's safe to assume it's just a screw up on Amazon's part. It looks like they mixed up the description of the N44-7Z (12 pack) with the N44-GQ (4 pack) or something. Yeah, it's a confusing naming scheme..

Anyway, I promptly bent my brand new N44-7 stylus as I was removing it from its packaging today so I might try this deal on Amazon as well. <_< These things are FRAGIL!

• 2 weeks later...

well the "package" was a little flimsy (a bubble envelope) but it arrived with no damage.

It looks legit from the outside; a quick inspection showed nothing particular except that it's made in mexico. That doesn't worry me much since my m44-7 cart is also made in mexico.

Quick audio test this morning, fits perfectly my m44-7 cartridge. I adjusted to counter weight to 2.0 and went on to scratch a bit (low skill), I didn't really notice any difference except the sound is so much clearer than my previous worn out needle but that's normal.

I think I got an awesome deal :)

edit: 12-pack for $25? http://www.adorama.com/SHN447Z.html

Edited by neks
  • Like 2

well the "package" was a little flimsy (a bubble envelope) but it arrived with no damage.

It looks legit from the outside; a quick inspection showed nothing particular except that it's made in mexico. That doesn't worry me much since my m44-7 cart is also made in mexico.

Quick audio test this morning, fits perfectly my m44-7 cartridge. I adjusted to counter weight to 2.0 and went on to scratch a bit (low skill), I didn't really notice any difference except the sound is so much clearer than my previous worn out needle but that's normal.

I think I got an awesome deal :)

edit: 12-pack for $25? http://www.adorama.com/SHN447Z.html

Sweet, thanks for the update!

As for the link, I'm going to assume that one is an error on the website. even the representative answering the questions has all the terms confused.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey neks,where do you live and how long in total did your delivery take? I have a friend who'll be in miami for a week so if they'd get to them in time, I might order them.

Cheers.

savwar, I'm in Texas. I placed my order on July 29, got it delivered Aug 15 but the tracking only started to show activity on the 13.

The ETA was a 30-day window if I recall correctly (which was weird for something fulfilled by Amazon).

Hope this helps.