Cassettes: officially over

DJ Rock Well

Sorry if you've been enjoying this retro format of late, but their status has just gone from "people in the know in the coolest places" to "mainstream nationwide hipster".

Basically, two of the most painfully hip hipsters I've seen in a long while just sauntered into the shop, turned their noses up at the thousands of LPs as if they were One Direction downloads, then came straight up to me to ask where the cassette section was.

I explained that I only have about 30 tapes left in the shop, leftover from when they still sold regularly and pointed them out. One of them sneered in my general direction and condescendingly told me that I wouldn't know, but tapes were currently making a huge comeback in London and that it's the only format he buys now.

After a brief look through the box (while huffing and grumbling that they had to put up with such a backwards place and it's poor tape collection) they left with a Wings cassette for £2.

Fuck! thats an exceptionally cunty experience

Yep. Usually I'd count taking two quid off anyone for a Wings tape as enough revenge, but I was not in the mood this morning...

(When I tried to pay the money for that ska single I had dropped off yesterday, my card was declined and I found out been charged £110 over the weekend in highly questionable bank charges. After a good rant, they are all being refunded to me, but that takes 24hrs apparently so I still had to send my mate a really sheepish message delaying paying him for yet another day).

What a dick. But yes, they've made a huge comeback.. which was good for me since I never stopped listening to them and now some new stuff (aside from punk) has been coming out on the format. I will only buy new cassettes if they include a digital download code tho.

Guest rasteri

I'm not much of a record collector but I appreciate the appeal of vinyl, where it's like owning an engraving of the waveform of the music. Tapes on the other hand are an abstract magnetic representation of the same information, I really don't see it becoming a thing.

• Like 1

Both are more archival then anything digital tho. Altho tapes are in no way ever meant to be hi-fi like records. AND you can play a record even without electricity #endofdays

All this talk tho... I should buy a reel to reel. Seems like the only way to show how smart and cool I am all at the same time.

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

I will only buy new cassettes if they include a digital download code tho.

My perspective entirely. I like to support artists and I listen to a lot of musically digitally, but I still rarely buy digital-only releases because i want something physical in my hands. I consider tapes a kind of download token

• Like 1

I borrowed my dad's car for a recent tour, and holy shit it has a tape player. So I found the box in the basement and I was rocking all these mixtapes and pause tapes I made as a kid. Tapes have a certain je ne sais quoi sound quality that I kind of dig. Some of the older one sound like shit though, and I could only listen to them because I've listened so many times that I basically have them memorized anyways.

The fact that formats are always changing is stupid and annoying, but one cool side effect is that each format is a snapshot of your taste in music at that time.